Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BattleTech; Harebrained Schemes; Paradox Interactive

Two and a half years after its highly successful Kickstarter campaign, Harebrained Schemes have released BattleTech to the world. We've covered BattleTech despite the fact that its status as an RPG is in dispute - because it's turn-based, because it's tabletop, and because it's Harebrained Schemes. It's the biggest project they've ever done, and its fate will determine what comes next for the studio that gave us three Shadowrun RPGs. You've read the updates, you've watched the streams and dev diaries, so all that's left is to post the launch trailer:

Reviews of BattleTech have been quite positive, one notable exception being the review by Rock Paper Shotgun's Alec Meer, who finds the game ponderous and lacking in variety. Some of the other reviews echo similar concerns, but don't seem as bothered by them. Here are all of the reviews I was able to find:

It's become clear from developer Q&A that Harebrained have had to leave a lot of mechanics on the cutting room floor, and the Codex's tactical combat grognards have been unhappy. What I'm interested in, though, is how our horde of Dragonfall fans will receive the game. If you didn't back it on Kickstarter, BattleTech is available now on Steam and GOG for the price of $40.

Last edited by a moderator:

frajaq

Erudite
RPS mentioned it was boring as fuck, suspect it might be true, pirating anyway to see whats what

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
yeah that was actually pretty odd. where is the blond hair? and also, no cute female faces only :prosper:

I called this ages ago.

This is SJWtech. The "oops, we ACCIDENTALLY forgot" lack of blonde hair, the lack of masculine male faces at character creation (according to some of the many negative reviews on Steam), sasquatch female faces, the female Muslim with a headscarf and multiple doctorates prominently displayed mid-dialogue on the Steam preview video/images marquee, and, well, the fact that Harebrained's staff are a bunch of SJWs. Unsurprisingly, even normies think the gameplay is also boring and too easy with waves of cannon fodder enemies.

Though, the main reason it's currently sitting at a Mixed rating on Steam seems to be that it's a buggy, crash-y, badly optimized pile of jank in no state to be released.

Anyway, this is where their little journey comes to a screeching halt. RIP :salute:

Bohr

Arcane
Although the "two trannies in standard 4 starting mechwarriors + no blonde hair for you" thing will get attention initially, I think in the longer run the requirement to be logged in with a Paradox account to access multiplayer or KS backer items may linger in the memory longer. Some backers were pretty butthurt about the PDX link to begin with anyway, and the server problems today aren't helping.

(from GOG thread)
Ok, more news about this.

FYI, that free DLC they offered with a Shadowhawk and an Atlas variant? It has DRM. You need to be logged on your Paradox account (in game) in order for the game to show the variants to you. As soon as you log out or block the game in your firewall, the extra content disappears.

It is not as the rest of games here on GOG where you have a little patch to add the extra content to your game. It is active just while you are online logged to Paradox :S

So that new note at the bottom of the requirements in the store page that says you need an account to redeem your codes for the extra content? Well, it's just half the truth, because you also need the account to play with the content. I can understand this for Steam but, for the GOG's classic installers?

Finally, i would like to make clear that those variants are usable single-player, it's not something for MP. You just need to enter a SP skirmish game and select them in your Mechbay to use them...if you are logged on a Paradox account.

I am very sad to discover that HBS let Paradox force this kind of things into a DRM-free game. A shame.

Edit: this things didn't happen when HBS was it's own publisher (see Shadowrun games). A real shame.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
(from GOG thread)

FYI, that free DLC they offered with a Shadowhawk and an Atlas variant? It has DRM. You need to be logged on your Paradox account (in game) in order for the game to show the variants to you. As soon as you log out or block the game in your firewall, the extra content disappears.

It is not as the rest of games here on GOG where you have a little patch to add the extra content to your game. It is active just while you are online logged to Paradox :S

So that new note at the bottom of the requirements in the store page that says you need an account to redeem your codes for the extra content? Well, it's just half the truth, because you also need the account to play with the content. I can understand this for Steam but, for the GOG's classic installers?

Finally, i would like to make clear that those variants are usable single-player, it's not something for MP. You just need to enter a SP skirmish game and select them in your Mechbay to use them...if you are logged on a Paradox account.

I am very sad to discover that HBS let Paradox force this kind of things into a DRM-free game. A shame.

Edit: this things didn't happen when HBS was it's own publisher (see Shadowrun games). A real shame.

:retarded: Absurd Ubisoft-tier move by Paradox. Do they have any other games that do that or is this one the first?

Last edited:

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is SJWtech. The "oops, we ACCIDENTALLY forgot" lack of blonde hair, the lack of masculine male faces at character creation (according to some of the many negative reviews on Steam), sasquatch female faces, the female Muslim with a headscarf and multiple doctorates prominently displayed mid-dialogue on the Steam preview video/images marquee, and, well, the fact that Harebrained's staff are a bunch of SJWs. Unsurprisingly, even normies think the gameplay is also boring and too easy with waves of cannon fodder enemies.
Yep. It seems the future of "Sci-Fi" will be "Social-Fiction-Justice".

dbd0b52cc8ed07687ee8d1c4776bdb67.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
(from GOG thread)

:retarded: Absurd Ubisoft-tier move by Paradox. Do they have any other games that do that or is this one the first?
I didn't even get that far. As soon as I read I need a paradox account to get my custom mech I just gave up on getting one.

Ruzen

Savant
(from GOG thread)

Thay have the same thing with other games as well. Little content packs music to unit packs

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Trainwreck of bad publicity which will lead to an inevitable hilarious response by HBS blaming everyone but themselves.

They already got a head start on that when people expressed concern about the pre-nerfed enemies and they basically said that they knew better and to fuck off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom