Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
First dlc title lets me guess there won't be much snow in deadfire.
I'm also gonna bet that they'll put sagani in it. Maybe introduce the player to her cuck husband.

You can't make MotB-like or even TotSC-like expansions in 2ish months.
Lolwut
TWM part 1 was released a few months after poe, it was bigger than ToTSC. Both in terms of maps and in terms of content.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I think this is probably an indication that MotB and TotSC like expansions are no longer profitable because audience attention spans are too low.

Parabalus

Arcane
I think this is probably an indication that MotB and TotSC like expansions are no longer profitable because audience attention spans are too low.

How profitable were they in the first place? What's the earnings on Bg1 vs TotSC, base NWN2 vs MotB/SoZ?

Smaller expansions/DLC was also unviable 10-15 years ago because of download speeds/limits, so there really wasn't a choice back then for developers, where as there is now.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Oh yeah I had late May in mind for the release of the first game. Turns out it was 2 months earlier.
I'm still certain it's very much possible to make a totsc in 2-3 months. It's not a big xpac to begin with.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes, but what makes you conclude that these will be mid sized rather than meaty (or tiny for that matter)? All I got from the descriptions is that they're self contained.

Because of their price and their release schedule. You can't make MotB-like or even TotSC-like expansions in 2ish months.
They must be in production for the last few months.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Oh my god.... here's new avatar for you my friend.
0NkatzK.jpg

This game sure is problematic!

Requesting Kev Inkline's version akin to the prestigious TToN portraits :salute:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought people would have learned not to take FreeKaner's posts ITT seriously by now. :P
Regardless, it's something worth repeating.

Didn't the DLC poll say that people wanted meatier expansions, rather than middling ones that are over too fast and constitute a momentary diversion from the main quest?
Yes, but RPGs need to evolve.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh yeah I had late May in mind for the release of the first game. Turns out it was 2 months earlier.
I'm still certain it's very much possible to make a totsc in 2-3 months. It's not a big xpac to begin with.

Not the full TotSC, but maybe Durlag's Tower without the other two scenarios. That's what we should hope for.

Ulfhednar

Savant
How profitable were they in the first place? What's the earnings on Bg1 vs TotSC, base NWN2 vs MotB/SoZ?

Smaller expansions/DLC was also unviable 10-15 years ago because of download speeds/limits, so there really wasn't a choice back then for developers, where as there is now.

My guess is they were more profitable in the late 90's, early 00's - fewer games and distribution was harder so people were willing to wait 12-18 months to play more of something they enjoyed. Today, with the ease of distribution and the absurd number of games available, I think a shorter release schedule with smaller chunks is probably the only call when it comes to profitablility, unfortunately. For most, I suspect it's easier just to buy something new than to try to get back into something you put down months ago.

The second DLC ‘Seeker, Slayer, Survivor’ available in September 2018, is a combat-focused expansion taking place on a previously undiscovered island that will challenge the martial prowess of your party, and your tactical skills as a commander, as you embark on a mission to rediscover ancient relics, and pit your party against Eora’s most skilled and savage.

Obsidian's Icewind Dale? That's one they could put together on a tight schedule and not have it completely suck. Some real challenges like the titan fight from the last beta would be nice.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Because of their price and their release schedule. You can't make MotB-like or even TotSC-like expansions in 2ish months.

This argument rests on the assumption that they will be producing the three dlcs in succession, but this is very unlikely to be the case.

If we turn to TWM's development history, the second part was well underway by the time the first was released, and work on the first began around April 2015, with TWM1 being released in August 2015.

Just mentioning before the paranoia and curses at Obsidian for being behind the popamolization of RPGs begin :D

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
And that argument rests on the assumption that we are gullible and naive to the extreme. Do you honestly and realistically believe that these DLCs will be as big as even TotSC? *Maybe* the Forgotten Sanctum because they can work on that non-stop all these months, but the others? No way.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It does sound like they've gotten more of a headstart on these than they did on the White March, but I wouldn't expect any miracles.

Again - if we get DLCs that feel like the best parts of the White March without the additional fluff, then that's good. That's probably the realistic best case.

If we get DLCs that just feel small and inconsequential, like the Dragon Age: Origins DLCs (not the Awakening expansion), that'll be bad.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Beast Of Winter: TWM Part 3
Seeker, Slayer, Survivor: Beamdog's "The Black Pits" Part II
The Forgotten Sanctum: Greyhawk's Return of the Eight, now on Steam!

AwesomeButton

Patron
And that argument rests on the assumption that we are gullible and naive to the extreme. Do you honestly and realistically believe that these DLCs will be as big as even TotSC? *Maybe* the Forgotten Sanctum because they can work on that non-stop all these months, but the others? No way.

It does sound like they've gotten more of a headstart on these than they did on the White March, but I wouldn't expect any miracles.

Again - if we get DLCs that feel like the best parts of the White March without the additional fluff, then that's good. That's probably the realistic best case.

If we get DLCs that just feel small and inconsequential, like the Dragon Age: Origins DLCs (not the Awakening expansion), that'll be bad.

The one speculation I would make is that there will be no storyline connection between the three dlcs, emphasized by the fact they are on different islands, and they will be playable in any order, thanks to the newly added level scaling functionality.

The announcement calls them "in-depth" and mentions meeting new characters, which I choose to read as new party members.

If they are self-contained, one is largely combat-focused, and we account for Obsidian's perfected production pipelines, I think it's realistic to expect each expansion to be of TWM1's size, which is quite fine imo.

Prime Junta

The Codex: DF is going to be a trainwreck only a masochist would ever want to play, if it even exists

Also the Codex: And its expansions need to be much bigger

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I fear an overabundance of dlcs in the coming years. In a paradox fashion.
It's an archipelago, there's a level-scaling option as awesomebutton duely noted, so there are infinite possibilities for a myriad of dlcs.
Gotta finance that jump into big budget games market and join the pantheon of KCD, Elex and Twitcher, as Sawyer hinted about that recently. Maybe. Could be.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I fear an overabundance of dlcs in the coming years. In a paradox fashion.
It's an archipelago, there's a level-scaling option as awesomebutton duely noted, so there are infinite possibilities for a myriad of dlcs.
Gotta finance that jump into big budget games market and join the pantheon of KCD, Elex and Twitcher, as Sawyer hinted about that recently. Maybe. Could be.
:slamdunk:
Bastards - I won't fund Feargus' decline into AAA status. They have my kickstarter cash for the Season Pass, but the purse strings are tied now.
:keepmymoney:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom