Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sawyer wants rpg to evolve

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Or, to put it another way: dude, you're making stuff up.

Here's the whole exchange from like 8 years ago, or at least what I could find of it. Grognards, do not read unless you want an aneurysm.

I don't know where you got that out from, but that's not what I was talking about.

Ctrl-F -> Wizardry = no results

Therefore, you're making shit up. What I was talking about was specifically about Wizardry and it specifically mentioned public opinion.

Also, I see you're one of those calling people who don't like the shit games you like "grognards". Not surprising with a Pillars of Eternity avatar, I guess.
Just call them "retards", and fuck off with this stupid "omfg resistasnt to change grongards not liek muh good gaem". Jeez.

Why do RPGs need to "Evolve", again?

Always, and I mean always when they say this, they mean they want to change it to get more people in.
But they always word it make it sound like those that don't like it just don't know a good thing when they see it.
Otherwise what can they mean by "resistant to change"? Surely, nobody wants bad changes, so they must be referring to good changes, they always change for the better, we just don't get it!

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Grognard" is a distinction, for those who never got it.

But they always word it to make it sound like those that don't like it just don't know a good thing when they see it.
"Obsidian, grognards don't have to be your audience!"

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Disco Elysium.

Or, to put it another way: dude, you're making stuff up.

Here's the whole exchange from like 8 years ago, or at least what I could find of it. Grognards, do not read unless you want an aneurysm.

I don't know where you got that out from, but that's not what I was talking about.

Ctrl-F -> Wizardry = no results

Therefore, you're making shit up. What I was talking about was specifically about Wizardry and it specifically mentioned public opinion.

Also, I see you're one of those calling people who don't like the shit games you like "grognards". Not surprising with a Pillar
Just call them "retards", and fuck off with this stupid "omfg resistasnt to change grongards not liek muh good gaem". Jeez.

Sorry bro, this is exactly what you said:

His argument is that most people (as in the lowest common denominator) don't think it's an RPG, therefore it's not an RPG anymore. That's the essence of it.

If people thought you need romanced for a game to be RPG would you also think that deserves "serious consideration".
[/quote]

But that’s not his argument, as you would see if you had any close reading skills. The second question in the pseudo interview is about Wizardry. Click the spoiler tag and hit control-F again, or just go to the page: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_...s_about_Strength_requirements_and_defines_RPG

It’s the same interview the original Wizardry comment was taken from. His Wizardry comment is in response to the second or third question, right at the top for fuck’s sake.

To make it clear: Josh says by the standards of 1980, Wizardry was an RPG—by the standards of public opinion, Wiz was an RPG. But by his standards that have nothing to do with public opinion, it’s not an RPG. He’s not saying an RPG is whatever gets called an RPG by the masses, he’s saying literally the EXACT OPPOSITE.

Since when is grognard meant as an insult or as something dismissive? Yeah, if you like ‘80s dungeon crawlers, you’re a grognard. If I liked ‘80s dungeon crawlers, I would be happy to call myself a grognard. And I have a Deadfire avatar because it looks like me, minus the horns and half the hair.

But I didn’t start posting in this thread to evangelize for Obsidian. I got reeled in because it drives me nuts when people demonstrate an obdurate resistance to learning how to read. And every step of the way people like you have wildly misinterpreted everything that comes out of Sawyer’s mouth. It’s lunacy. He could agree with you in every particular and you’d find some Orwellian way to interpret it as an attempt to further casualize the genre.

Valtiel

Scholar
Pick one Stalker game for me to play it, I don't have time to play all of 'em and my only experience was trying the first minutes of Shadow of Chernobyl years ago

Prime Junta

Same reason TV and films need to evolve. Doing the same thing over and over again in the same way gets boring.

--> tangent

Consider the "classic" cRPG formula: isometric game with tactical turn-based or RTwP combat, a protagonist and companions whose abilities are constrained by stats, skills, and equipment, and a story that's structured around a main quest and sidequests. This allows for anything from Fallout to Planescape: Torment while the gameplay remains easily recognisable by anyone familiar with the formula. And I certainly believe there's a lot of stuff that could be done with this formula: it doesn't have to be Chosen One Saves The World (again).

But.

The formula does have a quite a lot of unspoken assumptions to it. For example, it's assumed that combat will be the main system, with most things -- stats, gear, etc. -- affecting combat effectiveness. This also assumes that you'll be spending a lot of time in combat. And a power curve is also implied: as you improve your character and gear, you'll get more effective at combat and be able to overcome tougher enemies.

This means that as long as you're sticking to this formula, your game will necessarily involve lots and lots of murdering and it will be a power fantasy: you'll end up stronger than when you started. And this is pretty constraining! If you're trying to do anything else than a "hero's journey" of some kind, you will have to jump through some major hoops. It also really often happens that the end of the game turns into a tedious slog because you "have to" have the opportunity to test all those shiny skills and gear you've so painstakingly acquired. Even PS:T did this, and suffered for it: the slog at the end is clearly the weakest part of the game, and it would have been weak even if they had managed to put in better encounters.

The tabletop gaming world is quite different. While we still have plenty of hardcore combat-heavy games fully in tune with their wargaming heritage, there are plenty of others. There are games that focus on non-combat skills, investigation, and unraveling mysteries (Call of Cthulhu). There are "story games." There's larping which fades into improv theatre. There's stuff like Fria Ligan's offbeat games, Tales from the Loop for example. There is no reason I can see why cRPGs should continue to stay in the really small box that's been built for them.

If cRPGs could evolve to produce variants that are out of this box then that would be awesome (and of course it doesn't mean there couldn't continue to be games inside the box; it's not like monkeys stopped existing when humans evolved).

And yeah, that's why Disco Elysium is so fucking awesome. It absolutely is a RPG. It just goes back to the roots of role-playing and then takes off in a new direction. We need more of that.

Of course, it's more likely that "evolving" just means making a BETTER hiking simulator, with REAL soil erosion and actually properly reactive AI, like Oblivion promised but better. :negative:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
For instance, I would never call cRPG fans "resistant to change",
I would.
Josh back in 2003 said:
The point, in case zealots ever want to accept it, is that your tastes are not the only tastes in the world. Really, I know this may be hard to believe, but if you like playing a turn-based game set in three counties of Utah in 2242, and you like miniguns but don't like lasers, and you like the ratio of combat to dialogue to be about 4:1, and you like cars that look more like Buicks than Pontiacs, and you think 50s-style monsters are okay but 50s-style aliens aren't, and you think Max's jacket from Mad Max is okay but the football pad armour isn't, and you don't like it when italics are used in dialogue but you do like it when boldface is used, and you want it to be longer than 100 hours but no longer than 120 hours, and like games to be non-linear but only to a point, and like big cities, but only two because four is too much BUT HEY NOT THAT ONE, and you like the desert but don't mind a little grass BUT HEY NOT THAT MUCH BECAUSE IT'S NOT FALLOUT...I am terribly, terribly sorry, because we are not going to make a game just for you. We're not trying to make a game for everyone. Really, we aren't. But we're not making a game just for you and ten other angry guys with tastes that are narrower than a hallway in a camp of pygmy dwarves.

Stagnation is death. RPGs were declared dead in the mid-90s because for a few years we were getting nothing but buggy crap and Dungeon Master clones.

Then you have the adventure game genre. People still make those, but it's been considered "dead" for decades.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is some moronic bull Prime Junta. It would imply that RPGs have been doing the same thing over and over. We have so many different directions they have already gone that they are effectively evolving without *snigger* Sawyer's help.

Quillon

Arcane
I would.

The bigger problem is that RPG devs are resistant/unable to change, save for some new comer indie devs. If you ask the current RPG devs what kinda game they wanna make their answers will be something derived from DnD or some perfectly nice setting with MAGIC in it. In their free time they are still playing DnD with their colleagues more than anything else which they've been doing for the last 30 years. They can't fucking think anything else, their imaginary world is limited to tolkien fantasy and star wars syfy, next up on their list is bringing elves and dwarfs to modern day.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
This is some moronic bull Prime Junta. It would imply that RPGs have been doing the same thing over and over. We have so many different directions they have already gone that they are effectively evolving without *snigger* Sawyer's help.

CRPGs evolved dramatically for the first twenty years. But aside from action RPGs getting more bland, the genre really hasn’t changed very much for the last 15 odd years. Just substitute the word incline for evolution if this particular piece of verbiage bothers you so much. But who the hell would deny that the genre has stagnated since, say, Troika went under?

Devs have spent the last five years simply trying to get back to where we were in the late ‘90s. This is a worthy goal, but back in the ‘90s they were trying to break new ground. Wanting more of that should not be controversial, and pointing out that we haven’t broken much new ground lately should be obvious.

I would.

Josh says RPG fans are resistant to change, RPG Codex spends 16 pages bitching about both that characterization and change!

Grab the Codex by the pussy
The bigger problem is that RPG devs are resistant/unable to change, save for some new comer indie devs. If you ask the current RPG devs what kinda game they wanna make their answers will be something derived from DnD or some perfectly nice setting with MAGIC in it. In their free time they are still playing DnD with their colleagues more than anything else which they've been doing for the last 30 years. They can't fucking think anything else, their imaginary world is limited to tolkien fantasy and star wars syfy, next up on their list is bringing elves and dwarfs to modern day.
Bullshit. The problem is that 99% of developers only implement fluffy character building, superficial combat system, etc. and deliver a subpar action game whic they call cRPG. That's not a surprise. If you look at their steam accounts and interviews, most of them don't play cRPGs in their spare time*. They dislike their own genre. You can choose any setting you want. The problem is the lack of any meaningful cRPG mecahnics. SR has a fresh setting, but is a shallow iPhone game with no cRPG meat in it. I thought that Battle Brothers would be boring because they used goblins, skeletons, etc., but the simple fact that they tried to implement an engrossing cRPG mechanics easily compensate the reused theme.

* Avellone only play retarded games in his spare time and want to develop games from other genres. Mitsoda want to develop games from other genres, etc, etc. If veterans of the industry that are supposed to be the luminaries of the genre are so dismissive about cRPGs, you can't expect an ounce of good gameplay from them.

Last edited:
If you look at their steam accounts and interviews, most of them don't play cRPGs in their spare time.

They are playing DnD I said, that table top game since 1969 or something, I've never played it :P
Or maybe they like to pose as nerd geeks because that's what most people here wanted to see. I know a lot of people who have tons of boardgames and DnD books, but don't play them anymore. If they took a picture and posted on the internet as a proof they are playing these games you would probably believe that's true. You can tell that they are not playing these games because they are incapable of making a decent combat system. Unless, of course, you want to believe that they are making shitty combat systems on purpose.

Stagnation is death. RPGs were declared dead in the mid-90s because for a few years we were getting nothing but buggy crap and Dungeon Master clones.

Then you have the adventure game genre. People still make those, but it's been considered "dead" for decades.
The only thing that is dead is the interest in the genre. People are socially motivated to assess cRPGs using more popular genres as a standard. It's as if fans of rap were criticising classic music for being boring and outdated, and composers were delivering remixes of Mozart and calling this classic music to please these people. In fact, they are not only doing this, but they are also inviting other composers to do the same, because that's what classic music needs, they say. What a bunch of hooey. That's not what the genre needs. That's what players and developers who hate cRPGs need.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think RPGs can't afford to go by the numbers. A successful RPG needs to have a twist, something that really sets it apart.

Some people might call that "evolution".

Others might call it not being developed with "Taylorism". :M

I think RPGs can't afford to go by the numbers. A successful RPG needs to have a twist, something that really sets it apart.

Some people might call that "evolution".

Others might call it not being developed with "Taylorism". :M
Taylorism is neither of the above and has the worst of the both worlds. It has the apparence of a traditional game, but none of its real complexity. It's a cheap knock off of the real article made by uninspired and burnout developers who wanted to do something else.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Pen and paper gaming is a perfect source of inspiration for cRPG creation and if your game is trying to replicate the PnP experience and even remotely manages to approximate it in a computer game, then you've got a really goddamn good game on your hands.

Quillon

Arcane
Pen and paper gaming is a perfect source of inspiration for cRPG creation and if your game is trying to replicate the PnP experience and even remotely manages to approximate it in a computer game, then you've got a really goddamn good game on your hands.

Then they should start to play other pen & paper games more often instead of 2e, 3e, 3.5, 5e I keep hearing when I have just basic idea what they refer to :P

Its not about ruleset, tis about theme, world, lore whatever else.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Then they should start to play other pen & paper games more often instead of 2e, 3e, 3.5, 5e I keep hearing when I have just basic idea what they refer to :P
I don't mind playing D&D at all, but it really is the trash-can of PnP:s.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I'm working on an RPG that uses the open source 3.5 ruleset so I am officially compelled to defend it. :M

(Personally I think we can do far better than D&D when it comes to PC RPG rulesets but hey)

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Yeah, roasts aside, 90's era throwback RPGs are basically a dead end. That's nice if you're a fan of playing retro RPGs, but not so much if you're a dev who is bored of making them.

Still, one wonders how making a game with story reactivity and deep combat are mutually exclusive. Surely you can do both, even within the framework of top-down dialogue box / tactical combat RPGs. Tyranny seemed quite promising in that regard, and it was made with a tiny budget.

But aside from action RPGs getting more bland, the genre really hasn’t changed very much for the last 15 odd years.

I disagree with this. We've seen at least 3 major evolutions of RPGs in the last decades:

-MMORPGs (now mostly dead after the WoW singularity)

-Cinematic (Think KoToR, Witcher 1&2, and Mass Effect, now also dying)

-Open World (Goes all the way back to Ultima but new tech makes exciting things possible)

The genres are essentially consolidating; we're seeing Cinematics and Open World styles merge (like the Witcher 3). Developers are also putting online features into everything. Shit, even JRPGs are getting in on the racket with FF15. Naturally it becomes hard to compete as budgets balloon to insane proportions; other than Bethesda and Bioware, what American company is even making mainstream RPGs anymore? Instead everyone is just slapping XP bars into everything. Only euro-RPGs (ELEX, KCD) are trying to compete directly. It's also possible these mainstream AAA RPGs are just going to go away, getting subsumed into other genres like FPS and action games.

I would love it if Obsidian made their own Open-world Skyrim-killer instead of begging Bethesda for scraps or wallowing in the 90s. Kickstart THAT.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom