Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Exiled Kingdoms on PC

Exiled Kingdoms a hidden Gem, or turd of turds

• Gem

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • Turd

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Go away

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Congrats DavidBVal for releasing your game on PC. Are you satisfy how this is selling on Steam?

Hey Robert. Very satisfied yeah, 60 days after launch players seem to be happy and sales are well over my projections. Considering it is a ported game, I couldn't ask for more.

Congrats DavidBVal for releasing your game on PC. Are you satisfy how this is selling on Steam?

Hey Robert. Very satisfied yeah, 60 days after launch players seem to be happy and sales are well over my projections. Considering it is a ported game, I couldn't ask for more.

For those of us creating a game of a similar style, what words of encouragement would you have for us? Are the SteamSpy sales statistics exceeded?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Are the SteamSpy sales statistics exceeded?

Steamspy has been dead for a week, but back when it was active it was reasonably accurate in my case (with its ups and downs, of course).
Have you settled the multiplayer question or are you still undecided?

Once current update is out I'll dedicate a couple weeks to experiment on multiplayer and see what it would really imply, development-wise. If it can be accomplished in a reasonable way then I'll do it (and it will be a free update). However I am not optimistic, too much code has been written with single-player in mind.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
I am not hiding anything, Steamspy works on data polled by user profiles. Steam changed its privacy policy a week ago making Steamspy worthless. The last estimation from SteamSpy that I remember was 6,700 units sold (I think), which is a bit short from the actual data. EK has sold 7200 copies so far.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am not hiding anything, Steamspy works on data polled by user profiles. Steam changed its privacy policy a week ago making Steamspy worthless. The last estimation from SteamSpy that I remember was 6,700 units sold (I think), which is a bit short from the actual data. EK has sold 7200 copies so far.
That makes its number of reviews quite a bit above average, doesn't it?
Well, that's a good sign, anyway.

I played almost through the entire game and had a lot of fun with it. Here's my review, btw.
Had to stop in the final region, though. What happened was that there is this map with moving lights that will basically insta-kill you when touched.
I spawned on the map right on top of one. And the last save game was about two hours old... in such situations, I just quit.
But I'm fairly positive I'll replay with a different class anyway. And save before entering that map :lol:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I didn't know that, a pity, Steam Spy was better info than the plebs (or indie devs) had in previous times I guess.
I caused another sale.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
That makes its number of reviews quite a bit above average, doesn't it?
Well, that's a good sign, anyway.

Yeah, but it is always like that when a game is new. The rate is already dropping.

I played almost through the entire game and had a lot of fun with it. Here's my review, btw.
Had to stop in the final region, though. What happened was that there is this map with moving lights that will basically insta-kill you when touched.
I spawned on the map right on top of one. And the last save game was about two hours old... in such situations, I just quit.
But I'm fairly positive I'll replay with a different class anyway. And save before entering that map :lol:

Thanks for the review! No need, in current version I added an autosave on area change ;)

Will you use libgdx again or Unity3d?
Was Java/libgdx anyhow problematic to you to release game on Steam?

I'll go Unity this time. Java + LibGDX has been great and I might return to it for future games.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Thanks for the review! No need, in current version I added an autosave on area change ;)
I think that is what caused my problem.
The autosave it did on entering the new region - and when I reloaded that I was just dying to the magic effect again faster than I could move away (squishy mage, probably wouldn't have been a problem with a warrior).
And my most recent save except that was 2H ago (my own mistake, ofc).

Will you use libgdx again or Unity3d?
Was Java/libgdx anyhow problematic to you to release game on Steam?

I'll go Unity this time. Java + LibGDX has been great and I might return to it for future games.
Why Unity and not something else like Godot (or Unreal)?
The Scene/Node architecture in Godot is pretty wonderful. Goes way beyond what Prefabs do in Unity. And it is fully free, of course. Plus there are certain... reservations about Unity, not only here. You know, "another Unity asset flip"...
I've just been fooling around with it, but so far I like Godot more than Unity.
Naturally, it doesn't yet have the same wealth of libraries around it.

Last edited:

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is this worth five bucks? I got a great deal of patience for flawed games (not saying this is one) that have something interesting going on for them, hell, I liked and finished Inquisitor although it had the worst grind combat since... ever? How are the dialogues, are there joinable factions, skill checks?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So. New here. Don't know squat. But, I've lurked for a while and you guys seem to give a damn about CRPGs. You guys introduced me to Arcanum, so it seems natural to ask for opinons on the new steam release Exiled Kingdoms.

A quick search showed it originated on Mobile, and it seems the creator is active here? I looked for a sub forum, but didn't see anything. Anyway.

Exiled Kingdoms. Yay, or Nay? Specifically the PC port, because PC master race.

oh. a link in case you are lazy.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/788270/Exiled_Kingdoms/

Always read the negative reviews, then the positive ones to get an idea of what you're getting and if you didn't read anything that makes the game a big turd or if you really like the genre, go for it.

Honestly, i'd rather play divine divinity if you didn't play already or Throne of Darkness (a good diablo-like with companions and the divinity equipment enhancing system)

Or even Crosscode (it's on steam)

Ninjerk

Arcane
Is this worth five bucks? I got a great deal of patience for flawed games (not saying this is one) that have something interesting going on for them, hell, I liked and finished Inquisitor although it had the worst grind combat since... ever? How are the dialogues, are there joinable factions, skill checks?
I enjoyed it as a mobile game. There is a small but seemingly fanatical community that has sprung up around the game trying to outdo each other with character builds as well as being wholly responsible for the wiki associated with the game. I also bought it on PC because DavidBVal posts here and has been very forthcoming about his experience on the sales side.

Jinn

Arcane
Just wanted to re-post this from the Archaelund (DavidBVal's next game) announcement thread, as I know a lot of people don't check the news posts too often. Just my quick impressions of Exiled Kingdoms:

The game is fun and definitely worth the small price tag, particularly as an introduction to the world Archaelund will take place in. I just started playing it again recently do to my excitement over this announcement. Biggest drawbacks to Exiled Kingdoms would be some of the open-source assets and music used, as well as the fairly simple combat. That isn't to say the combat is bad, or lacks challenge, but it's clearly no where near what Archaelund is aiming for (or even really similar at all, as it's ARPG combat).

Greatest strengths of Exiled Kingdom would be the world building, lore, exploration, interesting quest design, reputation/faction system, tone, meaningful character progression, dungeon crawling, and itemization. All of these more than make up for the shortcomings I mentioned. I'd recommend it to anyone who's interest has been piqued by this announcement, with the warning to not enter it with wild expectations. It's impressive and fun as a developer's first project and you can see the promise of future development to come, but it has its problems.

Last edited:

Sloul

Savant
I finally decided to try it out, and the game is pretty unequal, but I understand it better when DavidBval mentions that the project was initially to be terminated within 3 months.
Basically: the world building is extremely satisfying with a vast map open to the player to explore in any way possible. Although area filled with higher level enemies are a virtual limit to where player can thrive, but it's still possible to get past that difficulty, for say reach a city with good shops. I also liked the way you can unlock special dialogue options through your character stats (here traits).

But as stated before, combat is the downside and considering it's your main activity in the game, it took a big toll on my enjoyment.
In the end I think the game might have worked better with a classless system. With traits acting as restrictions for equipping items and learning skills. That way, all archetype (mage, warrior, cleric, thief) present in the game would've been there, but allowing the player to do some crossovers in abilities. I would have enjoyed to play a two-handed guy, using whirlwind and heal.

But again, this is an IOS project, and if you look at it for what it is, it's a big achievement on the part of its developer imo.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
A good game once I got into it. However it has some flaws. The combat is poor. Some of the art assets are open source. The quests can be a little bit repetitive.
However, if only the combat were improved it would be an excellent game. I am enjoying it.

If you're finding combat uninteresting, I advise playing a rogue, start with Stab I and then see where that leads you.

I admit the combat is not the one I'd have envisioned for a PC game. But in my defense, some of the best RPGs in history have shitty combat :troll:

Like I said, try mage or rogue for a more varied combat. Mage is very challenging at the early levels though.

The problem of the combat, besides the engine is the movement speed, it's just right for exploring purposes but too fast to work with the combat system so you just use your skills for the first blow and press the attack button hoping for the best and clicking healing potions.

It's a shame, the quest design is quite good (not the town hall randomly generated ones) and the open world is amazing.

Mage is really tedious to play but i didn't get far, might be better if you can endure the early game and even more so because of the combat walking speed and 2 of your 3 basic spells hurting companions and henchmen too.

Rogue is way better, hide, backstab, stab, it's alright so far.

The worldmap is really good, a lot of handcrafted content too.
I just explored the 3 early cities, you could turn this game into something huge with a Shining Force combat design (TB tactical), only a couple of fights for each dungeons while keeping everything else.

Also, a shame you can't have 2 companions, just 1 and one henchman.

Still, worth playing if you don't mind the combat and the town hall randomly generated quests grind.
Exceptionally, I recommend playing on easy difficulty, so you can use quicksave inside dungeons, it's useful sometimes, it also adds limited HP regen up to 50% which was very useful in one dungeon so far.

When you're drugged and dragged down into a cell...

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, i dumped the rogue and got back to the wizard, turns out it's way more fun since you get a fighter companion you can turn into a tank.
The close combat rogue reach it's limit when you get groups of enemies more often since he's very squishy and doesn't have all the options the mage has (scrolls to heal the whole party and a lot of spells)

Fireball doesn't hurt your allies (only yourself).
You can heal your companion (from the inventory, a shame there isn't a couple of quickslots for him/her)
Quests are very well designed, this is way better than NWN 1 & 2.
You get used to the combat and if you hack greater health pots and your best mana pot, it's still hard but fine (potions are on cooldowns so it's mostly to adventure longer)

So, i'm having a lot of fun, remember to play on easy, it's the same as normal but with quicksaves inside dungeons and it helps, hard increase enemies stats by 25% i think for the masochists and there is an ironman mode for the autists or roguelike fans.

Ninjerk

Arcane
So, i dumped the rogue and got back to the wizard, turns out it's way more fun since you get a fighter companion you can turn into a tank.
The close combat rogue reach it's limit when you get groups of enemies more often since he's very squishy and doesn't have all the options the mage has (scrolls to heal the whole party and a lot of spells)

Fireball doesn't hurt your allies (only yourself).
You can heal your companion (from the inventory, a shame there isn't a couple of quickslots for him/her)
Quests are very well designed, this is way better than NWN 1 & 2.
You get used to the combat and if you hack greater health pots and your best mana pot, it's still hard but fine (potions are on cooldowns so it's mostly to adventure longer)

So, i'm having a lot of fun, remember to play on easy, it's the same as normal but with quicksaves inside dungeons and it helps, hard increase enemies stats by 25% i think for the masochists and there is an ironman mode for the autists or roguelike fans.
I only played a significant amount with the Priest or Cleric or w/e it's called and it's quite satisfying burning undead and turning the last smidgen of your mana bar into a full hp bar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom