Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Once again, PoE tries to have it both ways by making its elves oppressed native Glanfathans and haughty colonialist Aedyrans. :balance:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd love the elves being shady forest hobos. The races aren't all that well differentiated in PoE's world as such, they are kind of like Shadowrun's fantasy races, everything is assimilated into the technological advances and the day-to-day differences are minimal. The Shadowrun elves do have Tir Tairngire and Tír na nÓg, so they also rationalize and recognize their racial nature in some way. PoE's are more differentiated by ideology, which begs the question of "why have fantasy races?".

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe their idea is that whatever racial differences there are, they are ultimately meaningless in the face of ideologies, technology and nations. But that would require a subtler hand than I think they are capable of anymore. There's also the problem of all the major races' physiology being based on the human one, so they don't require special circumstances to operate and they'd naturally congregate and develop in the same way humans do. Which goes back to the question of why have fantasy races.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Maybe their idea is that whatever racial differences there are, they are ultimately meaningless in the face of ideologies, technology and nations. But that would require a subtler hand than I think they are capable of anymore. There's also the problem of all the major races' physiology being based on the human one, so they don't require special circumstances to operate and they'd naturally congregate and develop in the same way humans do. Which goes back to the question of why have fantasy races.
It could be argued that race determinants a lot of the ideologies,religions and nations. But seeing that it is Obsidian,races are born randomly around the world and every nation is a melting pot of different races and there is no racism in the world.

2house2fly

Magister
They pretty transparently had fantasy races because they were making a successor to a game where you could play as a fantasy race. I originally liked the idea that nationality mattered more than race, so a Glanfathan elf would have more in common with a Glanfathan orlan than with an Aedyran elf, but I think race should still matter somewhat, just from dialogue you can almost never tell what race someone is.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is borrowing "some" themes from arcanum as well as our own colonial history where massive mobilization, technological advancement, colonialism made different between races minimal, and national identity matters more than your race.

Of course, the way it is presented is too fluid for the level of technology but whatever, i take this over the generic elf vs dwarf conflict

Glaucon

Prophet
It is borrowing "some" themes from arcanum as well as our own colonial history where massive mobilization, technological advancement, colonialism made different between races minimal, and national identity matters more than your race.

Of course, the way it is presented is too fluid for the level of technology but whatever, i take this over the generic elf vs dwarf conflict
Yes but the consequence of this would be precisely to recognize that diversity exists on the civilized, meaning, colonial or imperial level of political organization. Why is racial diversity constant throughout all of the game's cultures independent of ideology, technological level, etc, meaning it isn't really a matter of ideology at all (if i recall correctly, each culture is arbitrarily populated by a majority of two races with a smattering of the other races). There's no sense that any of these races originated anywhere in particular. It's as if you tried to imagine a 16th century Puritan America with current day America's demographics, ignoring how it is that those demographics are produced to begin with. How are races even maintained and distinct if no one cares about race? The game makes these gestures at reproducing real world prejudices in the form of orlan hatred, but this is hardly relevant. The population of this world should have bred into some super race by now rendering the issue null and void. Unless crossbreeding is impossible--which brings us back to the original problem (isn't it only humans and elves that intermarry? I'm probably entirely wrong on this point).

I mean, maybe these things (and other similar questions) have been addressed somewhere in the lore that I'm not aware of, but none of what I've read is very convincing. The particulars don't need to be perfect because fantasy races are always a kind of ridiculous hyperbolic parody of human races. It's the general relation and inner structure of these races (and cultures) that ought to be believable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's no sense that any of these races originated anywhere in particular. It's as if you tried to imagine a 16th century Puritan America with current day America's demographics, ignoring how it is that those demographics are produced to begin with.

I mean, maybe these things (and other similar questions) have been addressed somewhere in the lore that I'm not aware of, but none of what I've read is very convincing.

They have, in broad strokes. Humans and elves in Aedyr:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/The_Aedyr_Empire,_Part_1:_Origin
https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Wodewys

Origins of races:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Human#Subtypes
https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Elf#Pale_Elves

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes they have. As I've said other times though, PoE is notorious for not making enough use of its own lore.

jungl

Augur
the third game will have eder class change into a grand wizard and start a new organization in eora to deal with potential cross breeders. All its members dress in white costumes and talk about the day of the rope. I always assume in fantasy settings there is religion but no marxist brain virus so people happily kill each other with prejudice with race wars all the time with no fucks given.

Glaucon

Prophet
There's no sense that any of these races originated anywhere in particular. It's as if you tried to imagine a 16th century Puritan America with current day America's demographics, ignoring how it is that those demographics are produced to begin with.

I mean, maybe these things (and other similar questions) have been addressed somewhere in the lore that I'm not aware of, but none of what I've read is very convincing.

They have, in broad strokes. Humans and elves in Aedyr:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/The_Aedyr_Empire,_Part_1:_Origin
https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Wodewys

Origins of races:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Human#Subtypes
https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Elf#Pale_Elves
The Aedyran lore book is very informative--I'm a bit surprised I never bothered to read it (or don't remember reading it--it's been a while). But my questions about the implausibility of the game world's historical development still hold.

2house2fly

Magister
Doesn't really look like it lines up that well with the hull of the ship, but still it's a neat touch. This would explain the character limit on ship names

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom