Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sawyer wants rpg to evolve

frajaq

Erudite
Too fucking late for that my friend

Guy who made a pretty Ass Burgers RPG wants to suddenly change everything. Good. He should of done that in the first place. I'd agree with Sawyers sentiments if he wasn't both a raging hypocrite and gave Skyrim of all things as an inspiration for change. Nah, RPGs offer an amazing opportunity for immersive gameplay. You can use the systems in that game to define the type of experience you want. Look at games like Deus Ex, V:tM:B or at least the idea behind Alpha Protocol if not the execution. Hell, just make a traditional infinity engine style RPG where your characters skills and talents actually matter and can dynamically affect the story.( basically the core tenant behind my hypothetical infinity engine inspired Star Trek RPG) making non combat classes and skills actually a viable option to complete the game would be a nice start.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Everybody here is thinking about RPGs evolving but nobody is thinking: What if RPGs evolve wrong?

RPG already evolved wrongly,we have Fallout 4!

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Guy who made a pretty Ass Burgers RPG wants to suddenly change everything. Good. He should of done that in the first place. I'd agree with Sawyers sentiments if he wasn't both a raging hypocrite and gave Skyrim of all things as an inspiration for change. Nah, RPGs offer an amazing opportunity for immersive gameplay. You can use the systems in that game to define the type of experience you want. Look at games like Deus Ex, V:tM:B or at least the idea behind Alpha Protocol if not the execution. Hell, just make a traditional infinity engine style RPG where your characters skills and talents actually matter and can dynamically affect the story.( basically the core tenant behind my hypothetical infinity engine inspired Star Trek RPG) making non combat classes and skills actually a viable option to complete the game would be a nice start.

That takes talent which Obsidian lacks severely at the moment. With this story I also kinda realise why MCA left, Sawyer is clearly not a fan of taking any kind of risks and as we all know that kind of mentality brings nothing but trouble in the entertaiment business, he's just one of those creatures that wants everything to be as safe as possible, generic trash, hyper balanced and as sterile as an operating room. In the end fuck this tatooed, lousy german singing piece of balanced trash.

Last edited:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
There is no genre more open to improving than cRPGs. RPGs have more systems in them and each one can and should be perfected. Many games in the genre are called flawed gems because of that, because they managed to get one aspect of RPGs perfectly right. There is a sea of possibilities to explore and the whole library of examples to use if one is willing.

It also angers me that Sawyer has chosen Bethesda games as an examples of progress and experimentation. If we are talking solely about action RPGs there is no better example of that than Mount and Blade.

To me evolving means improving and iterating, something that modern developers rarely do. Case in point, pre buffing in the IE games was a little bit of a chore, but a logical and effective tool in your arsenal, so Obsidian decided that rather than improve a flawed system they'd simply remove it cause its too much work, and everybody cheered and said yay less features.

Would love to hear how one would solve the "flawed system" of pre-buffing, because that shit is not an strategic aspect of the game, just a thing you cross from a list when you want to fight

You can have a pop off menu from which you choose all prebuffs you want, and then they are all applied immediately. You can then create a few templates of prebuffs and bind them to keys or icons. In the next fight you just choose one of prebuffs templates you have created. If a specific fight requires an extra prebuff you apply it manually on top of the chosen template.

KevinV12000

Arcane
Before my current gig, I spent years as an attorney in private practice, with scores of business clients from sole proprietors to mega-corporations. Let me pass along one piece of wisdom I picked up from that experience:

When a business starts referring to its base customer base as "resistant to change" it means that it has grown sulky over what it feels is customer ingratitude for its efforts on their behalf, aka it's on a fast track to going out of business.

frajaq

Erudite
When a business starts referring to its base customer base as "resistant to change" it means that it has grown sulky over what it feels is customer ingratitude for its efforts on their behalf, aka it's on a fast track to going out of business.

Interesting, so it's understandable that Obsidian wants a more mainstream customer base then?

2house2fly

Magister
I'm not sure that Josh Sawyer's off-the-cuff remark represents the opinions of the Obsidian Entertainment management, really

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Before my current gig, I spent years as an attorney in private practice, with scores of business clients from sole proprietors to mega-corporations. Let me pass along one piece of wisdom I picked up from that experience:

I don't know about going out of business, but yes, referring to your customers as "resistant to change" implies way too much self-importance and for me it's a sign to stay clear away of such a company.

frajaq

Erudite
I'm not sure that Josh Sawyer's off-the-cuff remark represents the opinions of the Obsidian Entertainment management, really

Honestly this entire thread's existence is weird, lots of people seriously posting over a couple generic remarks in a developer event, posters losing their minds about Sawyer giving Bethesda/Skyrim as an example even thought he probably chose that because everyone fucking knows about the game and some people/media could be confused if he used some other less relevant game

Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't know about going out of business, but yes, referring to your customers as "resistant to change" implies way too much self-importance and for me it's a sign to stay clear away of such a company.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/glassdoor-reviews.121494/

ArchAngel

Arcane

Honestly this entire thread's existence is weird, lots of people seriously posting over a couple generic remarks in a developer event, posters losing their minds about Sawyer giving Bethesda/Skyrim as an example even thought he probably chose that because everyone fucking knows about the game and some people/media could be confused if he used some other less relevant game
You are new here.. any news about Obsidian and connected with POE is enough for us to start losing our minds about it :)

2house2fly

Magister

If I was in more of a trolling mood I'd have responded to people saying "why mention Elder Scrolls and not Age Of Decadence or Tides Of Numenera" with "probably because he'd have had to spend extra time explaining to the audience what they were"

Grab the Codex by the pussy
What is weird is how fanboys can make the reality warp around them and completely ignore the most obviou facts with a sraight face.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If he doesn't want to make any more RPGs, I would like to see Obsidian try to make a survival horror. I think that will fit this new approach, even the thing with shapes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom