Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

sawyer wants rpg to evolve

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hey, if you can choose between a couple of different endings! Who cares about stats, skills, character development and other irrelevant stuff. :avatard:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
FWIW Polish article by a journalist who apparently also attended the panel: https://www.gram.pl/news/2018/04/21...sie-radykalnie-ale-gracze-tego-nie-chca.shtml

May expect lost (or twist) in translation, but eh, more twist in the name of Google:

Google Translate said:
- Recipients of hardcore RPGs are very attached to traditional solutions - said Josh Sawyer from Obsidian Entertainment during Reboot Develop. - Fans are rather reluctant when it comes to changes. I do not want to generalize here much, but RPGs can be much more than they are today. You can do much more, make very radical changes.

- I deepen the problem myself. Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 are very traditional RPGs, but this genre can go in many different directions, it's just a matter of defining the design framework and choosing the elements that will be combined.

- RPG elements are used in many games, development of statistics and features that have been defined in this genre. I'm starting to wonder if this is the heart and soul of games with role playing. When I'm working on RPGs, I see them playing a character that can have different personalities and whose story can go in different ways. In turn, statistics or the combat system can be much more flexible.

Sawyer points to Bethesda, who achieved success with the Fallout and The Elder Scrolls series, as exemplary RPGs, which were implemented somewhat differently.

- Traditionalists probably do not like it very much, but RPGs and Bethesdy are completely different than isometric RPGs. They are more focused on action, on immersion. They are proof that there is much more room for the development of the RPG genre, and these games do not have to look like they did 20 years ago. It's just a matter of finding recipients who respond - he concludes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
90+ hours in Skyrim and 100+ in Fallout 4 seems pretty exemplary.

Meanwhile, all that pseudo-isometric nonsense gets single digit hours at best.

Citizen

Genres are for faggots. Make good games and I will give monies, I don't care if you call it turn-based strategy/tactics rogue-lite with role-playing elements or something, just don't make shit.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Sawyer-the faggot said:
The hardcore RPG audience is very traditional. Fans tend to skew towards the more hardcore cases and they tend to be fairly resistant to change.
No, they are not.

Sawyer-the faggot said:
I don’t want to paint too broad of a stroke there but RPGs can be a lot more than we have done with them so far. There’s much more than we can do and its much more radical.
If by radical you mean popamole streamlined gameplay, then that's pretty much what everyone have been doing for the past 20 years. The result of this improvement is games like Skryim.

Retarded Journo said:
For Sawyer, role-playing games are defined by the player’s ability to alter the storyline of the game through his or her actions, rather than the amount of stat tweaking or hit points a player delivers in combat.
Role-playing games are defined by the player’s ability to alter the storyline of the game through his or her actions by means of a system that models his abilities with stats and skills. If you remove this feature, you are not talking about a cRPG anymore.

Sawyer-the faggot said:
So many games use RPG elements, stat progression and characteristics that are defined by those in RPGs. I start to question about whether that is the heart and soul of what a role-playing game is about
That's like saying that chess should be more than combinations of pieces in a chessboard. I start to question whether you should be a cRPG developer in the first place. Besides, it sounds ridiculous to insinuate that traditional RPG elements have been properly implemented in cRPGs. Usually, in the few circumstances where stats/skills checks are present they are fluffy, character system is mostly cosmetical in most cRPGs, etc. Complaining about these features as if they were restricting the genre is absurd.

Sawyer-the faggot said:
The way that I work on role-playing games, they tend to be more about playing a character that has a range of personalities and a way of going through a story that changes that story in a very significant way. The amount to which things like statistics or combat systems interact with that, really can be much more fluid.
In bold for emphasis. What he really meant, but can't say openly is that he doesn't want to fail in his choices and that SPs distribution should be so easy to the point that there is no challenge anymore.

Sawyer-the faggot said:
The traditionalists probably get angry about this stuff, but Bethesda’s RPGs are very different from isometric RPGs.
Fuck you!

Sawyer-the faggot said:
They’re much more action orientated, much more focused on the immersive experience. That shows there’s more room for RPGs to grow than just to be what they were 20 years ago. It’s really a matter of finding an audience that matches up with that
But that's where cRPGs have been for more than 20 years. So this manifesto of change is actually another dig at genuined cRPG fans and a defense of popamole games that ruined the genre. If anyone still had any doubts what they should expect from Obsidian, I guess this settles then.
I rate this post Brofist.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Keep using out of contex sentences by sawyer to further you agenda.
Cycle_of_Abuse.png

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Keep using out of contex sentences by sawyer to further you agenda.
Cycle_of_Abuse.png

Its simple really you want to prove on basis of out of context quotes(no one watched full panel) that sawyer likes and enjoys open world 3 person action rpg and that he thinks that they are evolution of genre. Which he does not think he just fights stall states of rpgs.

2house2fly

Magister
This is literally the stupidest debate I've ever had the misfortune to wander into. 2nd only to the other dozen "wut r rpg" debates I've read here....if you "level up" in some way that increases your fucking POWER and you play a ROLE....then it's an rpg.

Please stahp now.
In the old God Of War games you increase your health and magic and earn xp which makes your weapons and spells more powerful. And you play the role of Kratos, servant of the gods. So it's a role playing game.

2house2fly

Magister
So does Sawyer realize that he is part of the problem or is he just dishing out empty rhetoric?
There's no way of knowing, apart from the bit where he's quoted as saying, literally, "I’m also contributing to the problem".

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Well under Sawyer rpg's have evolved for sure. Most of the games black isle made were fun and now most of the games Obsidian have made are boring. I'll never buy another game from this company again, POE being boring was the last cash I give them(even if I got it on sale)

Everybody here is thinking about RPGs evolving but nobody is thinking: What if RPGs evolve wrong?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom