Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Taurist

Scholar
I played a little of this the other night.
It's not dreadful, but it's also astonishingly not Baldur's Gate. The story is far more prominent and theres a lot more dialouge and cutscenes. It feels very out of place as an interquel. Paarticulalry as an expansion to BG1, a game which is mostly about combat and exploring large fields and dungeons.

Taurist

Scholar
Just strikes me as a weird thing to do. Like if Betheda released another expansion to Quake1 with a bunch of Half Life style scripted cutscenes. Was that Postal 2 expansion much the same?

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The main quest was too linear, I feel the game could have been something if there were only some choices of impact in the MQ. Like for example being able to side with the Shining Lady (from your first encounter with her and onward). That could have made the game interesting.

The side content was good enough though.

axx

Savant
Beamdog should start making a BG prequel ASAP. Followed by a standalone game just titled "Sarevok" which investigates the adventurous youth of our favorite scoundrel.
Then they should start making a completely new BG trilogy which will modernize the franchise and introduce the game to new audiences. This together with endless patches should keep them busy for the next 20 years.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
That sounds great axx. I wish I could play Sarevok as playable character. He's so big and mighty.

Like going through his Doombringer carrer, advancing in power and stuff.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I didn't finish it, but I thought the encounter design was quite good, and some of the 'random' (i think scripted, but appeared random during travel) encounters reminded me of Fallout 1.

As far as I remember, SoD is a game for pyromaniacs: there are too many fireball consumables, which ruins what could have been its only strong point: the encounter design. Why bother applying complicated tactics when you can insta-win almost any fight with mass fireball?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
lol, this final fight must have created massive butthurt some places. Making an end boss immune to everything except a very specific spell or an item you pick up from a side quest seems like some retadred design. Kind of blind luck that I didn't stumble into that trap

ArchAngel

Arcane
lol, this final fight must have created massive butthurt some places. Making an end boss immune to everything except a very specific spell or an item you pick up from a side quest seems like some retadred design. Kind of blind luck that I didn't stumble into that trap
Yea it was kind of tough, especially on Insane difficulty where I finished it on (but turned off bonus damage to enemies). I imported my character from Bg1EE that was a ranger duel wielding Drizzt swords that I took of his dead body :D so I had at least some weapons to damage the end boss.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It's not so much that it's tough, it's more that some parties will be 100% screwed. If you don't have:

1) a voidstone item

2) access to (newly nerfed, btw) Enchanted Weapon on characters that can actually fight

3) enough mages to Lower Resistance for long enough to spam Magic Missiles and similar damage spells

4) Driz'zt (or some of the few other +3) weapons in a good party (somehow).

You're shit out of luck. The fight will be literally impossible.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
The fight surprised me, it was very tough, considering SCS doesn't affect it. You can cheese his initial dispel on party to make it vastly easier, with boots of speed, if you want.

It's not so much that it's tough, it's more that some parties will be 100% screwed. If you don't have:

1) a voidstone item

2) access to (newly nerfed, btw) Enchanted Weapon on characters that can actually fight

3) enough mages to Lower Resistance for long enough to spam Magic Missiles and similar damage spells

4) Driz'zt weapons in a good party (somehow).

The weapon immunity aspect is funny, there are probably 10ish +3 weapons up to SoD, easy to get screwed. IIRC the threshold gets lowered with difficulty, I you can hit him with +0 on Normal, that seemed a smart design choice to me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Nah it's +2 weapons on Normal. But yeah, I imagine quite a few people got hardlocked out of that fight and had to lower difficulty. Which again, being locked out of a fight like that doesn't really feel like difficulty.

I'm pretty happy I had a few +3 weapons by chance.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

1) a voidstone item

4) Driz'zt weapons in a good party (somehow).

Haven't played it, but shouldn't Melf's Minute Meteors work as well?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ True - I am playing with SR and forgot they originally counted as +5 weapons. That makes things easier I suppose.

Can you dispel his Improved Invis halfway through they fight? Because otherwise Melf's might be the only way for those kinds of parties.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom