Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Critical Role free DLC portraits starting to appear at the top here: http://versusevil.com/games/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire_c-r/

CR-Portrait-Banner-Reveal1.jpg
God, I would fuck those elves so hard. Elves are undoubtedly the master race. Don't even try to question it, white boys. You have nothing, and you will never compare to the elf male/female.
I do like elfs,they are very tender and skinny. Still one race rules them all. Hear me now and fill thy pens with subhumans!
1432647453418.jpg

2house2fly

Magister
Subtext of note, dwarves spend all their time indoors tinkering with technology and elves go out in the sunshine and get plenty of exercise

Quillon

Arcane
Elves are slim and dwarves are short but they are taking the hobbits to isengard! the fuck are you guys talking about?

Prime Junta

How did this trend of elves as an oppressed minority develop anyhow? It's so different than Tolkien's elves.

The Witcher and DA:O. Don't know if Gaider cribbed it from The Witcher or if he came up with the idea independently as the two games were in development concurrently. I suspect that he cribbed; The Witcher 1 was developed on a modified version of BioWare's engine so the two companies must have been in pretty close contact, i.e. he likely would have known about Sapkowski.

It's also possible that he thought of it independently; straight-up western tradfantasy was getting pretty stale around then and it's a fairly obvious twist to add to your dark-n-gritty fantasy world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyperion

Arcane
Even Rowling used Elves as slaves in Harry Potter, and I find it hard to believe she did anything particularly groundbreaking in her writing besides making fantasy an accessible genre for children again, as The Hobbit has seemingly fallen out of favor. Besides, Tolkien essentially created a Mary Sue with his Elves (which I always figured was his interpretation as Elves = Catholics), which makes them extremely easy to hate. In LotR they were a race in decline anyway, so it's not much of a jump for future high, or dark fantasy stories to make them go from willful seclusion to slavery.

The Witcher books and games are far different, and I've shamefully never read them, but I assume enslaved / second-class citizen Elves are a thing in the literature as well?

Prime Junta

Elves = Catholics

That's... novel.

The Dwarves = Jews thing is fairly transparent, but I don't think your theory flies. Tolkien has written reams and reams about his ideas about the Elves, who they are and where they come from and how they relate to things, and Catholicism really doesn't enter into it. For one thing, all the elves we get to meet are fallen from the grace of the Valar.

(He did write them as Gary Stus though. In one of his letters he straight up says as much -- that they are human as we would like humans to be, strong, beautiful, wise, and immortal. If you really want to work a Christian analogy in, Elves are what humans would have been without the Fall. Although, being a good Catholic and also because it would have been really boring otherwise, he wrote a Fall of their own for them, with rather different consequences...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillon

Arcane
Speaking of elves; just entered Ondra's Gift and Durance and Aloth discussed about a whore, Aloth said "She doesn't take orders well" :P Guess Aloth ain't gay either.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
How did this trend of elves as an oppressed minority develop anyhow? It's so different than Tolkien's elves.

it's like a weird mix of Tolkien's idea that the Elves first fell from might and then faded from the world, and the idea of an Elven high culture because you don't want shady forest hobos in your game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom