Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Dude loves shoving his Sinn in our faces. Get another watch, Josh!

(I'd have sex with that girl.)

(That I'd have sex with Josh goes without saying.)

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Imagine if Obsidian Entertainment was called Plunderers of Virginity Inc. (a reference to their 'Pillars of Eternity' toy line).

Imagine if Josh Sawyer and Katrina Garsten at October 14 2017 9:18 knocked on your door, absolutely destroyed your significant other, and then told you "You're a virgin".

You counter with "No, I'm not." Upon which they say "You have no idea how right you are..."

Rlh5oui.png
She looks like Veronica from New Vegas.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The impressive thing is, she is not looking even half as hot as she can be if she really tried.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Schedule: http://www.rebootdevelop.hr/RebootDevelop2018_Schedule_prefinal.pdf

His talk is
mystery.png
:

Thursday, 19 of April - 16:00-17:00
Take Care (Industry)

Josh Sawyer, Obsidian Entertainment

The talk is going to be about ongoing negative trends in game industry (poor working conditions, poor developer turnover, poor visibility for independent developers, to name a few) and some movements / ideas that I hope both individual developers and studio-runners will consider.

Yup.

His talk is in livestream schedule: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...boot-develops-best-talks-on-gamesindustry-biz

Channel here: https://www.twitch.tv/rebootdevelop

Quillon

Arcane
Schedule: http://www.rebootdevelop.hr/RebootDevelop2018_Schedule_prefinal.pdf

His talk is
mystery.png
:

Thursday, 19 of April - 16:00-17:00
Take Care (Industry)

Josh Sawyer, Obsidian Entertainment

The talk is going to be about ongoing negative trends in game industry (poor working conditions, poor developer turnover, poor visibility for independent developers, to name a few) and some movements / ideas that I hope both individual developers and studio-runners will consider.

Yup.

His talk is in livestream schedule: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...boot-develops-best-talks-on-gamesindustry-biz

Channel here: https://www.twitch.tv/rebootdevelop

That's in 2 hours?(prolly in 4 hours :P) And there seems to be a panel tomorrow at 17:30 local time: PANEL: Evolving the Genre, Panelists: Jullian Gollop, Patrice Desilets, Charles Cecil, Josh Sawyer, Moderator: Dan Pearson. Donno if its gonna be livestreamed.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hah he initially said there was no crunch on FO:NV and then five minutes later changed his mind and said actually yes there was some.

Quillon

Arcane
I don't think I've ever seen a presentation that came across so transparently as a desperate cry for help. I knew the PoE franchise wasn't Sawyer's passion project, but I didn't think he hated working on it that much. Though it certainly explains this:

How did you figure that? I'm getting burned out playing a game for some time, can't he get burned out after 6 years of developing PoE?

2house2fly

Magister
I think he wouldn't spend so much effort on the mechanics and balance of the game if he didn't feel some passion for it. POE 3.0 mechanics work just fine and they could have just ported them over for 2 and saved themselves a lot of hassle. I'm fond of Pillars Of Eternity and like to imagine he won't look back on his time with it as a living hell like Avellone does with every project he worked on at the company.

Hah he initially said there was no crunch on FO:NV and then five minutes later changed his mind and said actually yes there was some.
I would be shocked if New Vegas had been made without crunch with an 18 month deadline

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think I've ever seen a presentation that came across so transparently as a desperate cry for help. I knew the PoE franchise wasn't Sawyer's passion project, but I didn't think he hated working on it that much. Though it certainly explains this:

Some evil minded people would say he was already creatively exhausted some years prior to that, but let's not think such negative thoughts... :D

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
Is there a reason why Obsidian devs are ignoring Codex? I see one PR guy here and there, but other than that there isn't much.

For me, it's because I've been busy. This is the first time I've logged into the site in about a month. I usually pop on every few weeks to read about how I'm a piece of shit, but I have a ton going on at work right now.

Also, I just moved apartments this past month so I have been doing boring things like couch shopping on my time off.

Prime Junta

Josh is a comrade. :salute:

Organisation of labour at the employee level is, by definition, a union. It might not be called that, but that's what it is. And it is incredibly effective. The simple fact of the union being there and being present immediately changes the power dynamics. Once the bosses know the union is there and has the workers' back, they stop even trying to pull some of the shit they'd do otherwise. Unionise. And if your union is shit, change to a better one, or form your own.

frajaq

Erudite
Josh is a comrade. :salute:

Organisation of labour at the employee level is, by definition, a union. It might not be called that, but that's what it is. And it is incredibly effective. The simple fact of the union being there and being present immediately changes the power dynamics. Once the bosses know the union is there and has the workers' back, they stop even trying to pull some of the shit they'd do otherwise. Unionise. And if your union is shit, change to a better one, or form your own.

I liked that in his presentation he acknowledged that unions are not perfect and there are bad unions out there, but really there aren't many other choices for game developers it seems

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Is there a reason why Obsidian devs are ignoring Codex? I see one PR guy here and there, but other than that there isn't much.

For me, it's because I've been busy. This is the first time I've logged into the site in about a month. I usually pop on every few weeks to read about how I'm a piece of shit, but I have a ton going on at work right now.

Codex needs to support email notifications whenever a user is mentioned, so you don't have to actually visit to read that someone is calling you a piece of shit.

(Also, I don't recall seeing any posts like that about you, specifically, instead of the GIGANTIC STEAMING TURD THAT IS OBSIDIAN AS A COMPANY (per some of our most enthusiastic posters :roll:), but I'm admittedly drunk a lot. :obviously:)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This has turned into a pro-unionization talk. You were wrong, Roguey!
I used to be right. Guess he's gone senile with old age.

Josh in 2012 said:
Most game companies do not have terrible working conditions. When employees at bad companies realize they have other options, sometimes they go to places that are not terrible.

I've seen some people suggest that game artists should unionize. I think this would end poorly for the simple reason that art asset development is already a global market that domestic (American) developers and publishers have no problem utilizing. Even art houses like Massive Black have Asian branches full of talented artists. We're not talking about physical goods; we're talking about data that can be transferred around the world in minutes. Even so, I don't think artists WILL unionize because there are enough good American companies out there that the crappy ones will simply lose talent to them.

Not all publishers are bad and not all developers have insane working environments. When a badly-run company implodes and a bunch of talented developers lose their jobs, I'm not really that sad. Being suddenly unemployed sucks. Looking for a new job sucks. But they just lost a job at a terrible company. Fly away, little birds. Work for developers that aren't terrible. Work with publishers that don't have their heads up their collective asses. Form new companies. You have platforms and avenues that many of us couldn't have imagined five years ago.

Do publishers really think top talent is that expendable? Not all publishers and not all of the people at those publishers, but clearly some, yes.
Josh in 2010 said:
Game development is a competitive business that is done entirely with skilled (trained or otherwise) labor.
* Game developers are typically motivated more by a desire to make good games than to achieve a financial goal.
* Game developers may believe that unionization would make them less competitive in the global game market. This may be especially true with American developers, as our work force is typically very productive but inefficient.
* Game development is not physically hazardous (though some environments are arguably psychologically hazardous).
* Game developers make reasonably good money.

Again, these are just guesses.

Further proof of senility.

Josh in July of 2010 said:
I usually work a 6 day week, though lately it has been bumped to 7.
I (like most developers) am on salary, so overtime doesn't really apply to me. During the week, it means starting between 9:30 and 10:00 a.m. and going home somewhere between 10:00 p.m. and 2:00 a.m. On the weekends, it's closer to a six or eight hour day.
During crunch I work between 10 and 13 hours a day.

Additionally, JR Vosovic speaking extremely negative about the working conditions during New Vegas http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...rior-to-any-rpg-dev.50834/page-4#post-1754257

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom