Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A game of infernal thrones (Solium Infernum)

Dayyālu

Arcane
And the reason was?

I'd like to know too. Steam publishes hordes of pure trash (not trying to be edgy here) and AE and SI where some of the finest things to occupy my HD space in quite a long time.

A pity that AE lacks multi, and a loss to us all that he will not develop further games for us digital plebeians.

God, now I'm having flahsbacks to the Cult of the Wasteland scenarios. Some of these things were so inventive and rage-inducing.

This sucks, especially because he posted this on his blog shortly before the new direction post:

"So what does the future hold in store for Cryptic Comet? I am working on a new game. It’s a turn based strategy game with a map, units, locations and very board game like. The idea is for the player to use a completely different rule set than the 4 AI’s that he is competing against. I don’t want to reveal the setting but I think it is going to be pretty far out there. The player is besieged on all sides and has to manage limited resources to hold off the AI’s until a certain objective can be achieved. Rorke’s Drift is a big inspiration for this but there are no Zulu’s and your victory condition is pretty nihilistic…so it’s Rorke’s Drift meets the end of John Carpenter’s The Thing. I’ve always wanted to make this game"

:negative:

Mortmal

Arcane
Wouldnt mind to get that game with a nice 75 % discount too, steam is indeed full of shit, i bought nothing during last sales.The few games i want , i already have.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Anyone interested in a PBEM game of this? Haven't done one in years.

Clockwork Hounds on Discord used to somewhat regularly play, if you are interested. Though looks like they haven't played since the last time I bailed on the game. I forgot I had Discord and probably ruined that game. But they seemed like nice enough people with a mix of veterans/newbies. :lol:

A Codex PBEM could be fun, though.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Anyone interested in a PBEM game of this? Haven't done one in years.

Clockwork Hounds on Discord used to somewhat regularly play, if you are interested. Though looks like they haven't played since the last time I bailed on the game. I forgot I had Discord and probably ruined that game. But they seemed like nice enough people with a mix of veterans/newbies. :lol:

A Codex PBEM could be fun, though.
Yeah, was mostly hoping to play with fellow codexers. I used to play semi-regularly with some people from RPS, but then I ended up having to abandon the last game I played with them (since I was moving) and felt bad so I haven't brought up playing another since then. Seems like a pretty codexian game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
dunno what you mean by "pretty codexian"

SI is a very friendly game to be played among good friends

Dayyālu

Arcane
Publicize a game here and start a thread on the MP subforum for diplomatic and bragging purposes.

I'd be almost up, if I remembered how the fuck do you play.

Armageddon Empires was my fav, though. Pity SP only.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Publicize a game here and start a thread on the MP subforum for diplomatic and bragging purposes.

I'd be almost up, if I remembered how the fuck do you play.

Armageddon Empires was my fav, though. Pity MP only.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, was mostly hoping to play with fellow codexers. I used to play semi-regularly with some people from RPS, but then I ended up having to abandon the last game I played with them (since I was moving) and felt bad so I haven't brought up playing another since then. Seems like a pretty codexian game.

Wait, were you in the campaign that Kieron Gillen/Quinns wrote up ages ago?

I have absolutely no idea how to play but am down for anything that has this much Diplomacy in its DNA.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I tried it once and it was INSANELY FUCKING HORRIBLY SLOW. To the point where game halted in its tracks. There's nothing to be slow there it's optimization just so abysmal that game is slow even on top rigs.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I tried it once and it was INSANELY FUCKING HORRIBLY SLOW. To the point where game halted in its tracks. There's nothing to be slow there it's optimization just so abysmal that game is slow even on top rigs.

486 does not count as a top rig anymore lah

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
:nocountryforshitposters:

Did I just see someone defend a pile of crap "coded" with Macromedia Director?

Did I really now?

Someone crawl Roxor's posting history, there better be not whines about Unity 'cuz that'd be a literal killer.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
nigga i dont even see any place where solium infernum could possibly be slow

the entire game is about switching between pop-up windows ffs how can that be slow in any conceivable way

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Director is such a treat that it can even make that slow. There is a reason why Valve doesn't let any games made with it on Steam. Even with their low standards.

Or then it might be this...

Adobe has recently updated its end-user license agreement for Adobe Director 12 requesting developers publishing paid iOS apps provide Adobe with 10% of earnings above $20,000.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
nigga i dont even see any place where solium infernum could possibly be slow

the entire game is about switching between pop-up windows ffs how can that be slow in any conceivable way
I guess if you play with the ai? It takes a very long time to do its turns.

It's also terribly slow in other ways that hampers some game development things.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've grabbed the demo for this twice now over the years and been very tempted to buy it, but two things always stop me;

-the screen resolution maxes out at a smaller size than my monitor, and I can't stretch it, so I'm left with a teeny tiny awful UI and literal blank space around the game.
-The only way to play multiplayer appears to involve actually copy pasting save files and sending them to people over drop box or email or whatever, which sounds like torture.

Why on earth can't both these things be fixed in this otherwise awesome looking game? Game would sell like hotcakes if it were re-released in this manner.

almondblight

Arcane
Someone really should reach out to Vic Davis and try to convince him to release new versions of his games on Steam/GOG.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
It is not going to happen, he would have to rebuild them with something else than Director. And from the looks of it, he doesn't really know how to program.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
-The only way to play multiplayer appears to involve actually copy pasting save files and sending them to people over drop box or email or whatever, which sounds like torture.
Considering a good SI turn often takes at least 15 minutes to play, adding 30 seconds to move files around is not that bad.

It sucks for the host though, because he can't preplay his turn.

It is not going to happen, he would have to rebuild them with something else than Director. And from the looks of it, he doesn't really know how to program.
He doesn't seem to be active at all any more. Real shame, I think a SI2 on steam could make a good amount of money.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The guy really cannot program. He can design though. Both SI and AE are amazing games hampered by a crappy engine and rubbish AI. Last thing I remember is him quitting and deciding to go and design boardgames or something. Which was a bloody shame. Always hoped he would break through as a designer or something.

Never played his Lovecraftian game btw. Anyone here did?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
If you mean The Occult Chronicles then I love the game, it's the game I've spent the most time on during recent years. Just in case you weren't aware Gragt made a review of the game for the Codex.

You're an investigator roamming between events on a board game, you've got 4 base stats and events propose different solutions involving different stats and are solved via a card minigame. You can ignore most events when you find them and get back later and how highly you succeed or fail is heavily taken into account to determine good and bad incomes.

Your character improves and the character system is excellent, there are different archetypes to choose from at the beginning of the game and very different characters will tackle the situations in a totally different manner, you've got a lot of freedom regarding how to allocate your XPs and you really get better at planning and at adapting to situations as you play.

One may rightfully say the number of events is very low (there are different scenarii but almost nothing changes between them) but it doesn't annoy me that much.

I never bought Solemn Infernum because despite liking the demo it seems, and you seem to confirm, that the game is more multiplayer oriented.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember something like he said he wanted to convert AE into Java, but when he considered time to do that, it simply wasn't worthy to him, especially when he'd need to redesign AE. You know, he was commercial developer, they do a cost benefit analysis. He studied electrical engineering, so he'd get likely decent salary no matter where he'd apply for a electrical engineering related job. And he was more into board game development than be self-educated software engineer with enough passion to learn weird things and do research just to make freeware/low profit game just because he wants.

Also, remember all these clicking on comfirm after each binomial distribution roll. And guess what, looks like nobody told him that most common result of binomial distribution roll is draw. Aka number of situation when attack equal to defense will not do damage is quite a bit larger than 1/2. The pain of rolling whole night...

Frankly what you as player of old obscure game wants is to get it to change licence into freeware. That's it. No trying to make excuse it would get money when it would be on Steam, no trying to commercialize it. Simply get it to general public for free. And that's it.

Also Trash there are no designer positions in game development. (A member of a team is typically selected for each game according to his skills, passions, and free time. To be lead aka responsible and first in problems in case of massive failures. Only person I remember who was actually hired as designer was Adam Emrich, and he was removed from his position in the middle of development and replaced by leading artist as a new lead designer. People who liked MOO2 wouldn't stomach what Adam wanted. Changing game design in middle of development is major disaster, and it showed on release.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom