Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizards & Warriors running (near) perfectly on modern OSs

Piotrovitz

Savant
This is some serious necrophilia, but I've always been curious about this since I saw a review in old PC magazine like 15 years ago.

Is this similar to Wiz 8 in gameplay/mechanics/party build/combat etc?

Common opinion was that it was buggier/clunkier than Wiz, but if there isn't anything game breaking, maybe it's worth a shot?

Deleted Member 16721

Yes it's worth a shot. Open-world exploration, devious and dangerous dungeons with puzzles, traps, tough enemies, cool story elements, lots of solid character/party development, some dialogues with NPCs and lots of loot and cool things to find. It' s a good one.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
It's pretty similat to Wiz 8, only simpler and combat is faster. I liked it a lot so I definitely recommend trying it, if you can get it to run on a modern rig that is.

Deleted Member 16721

I had it working on Windows 10 a bit ago. Even had it on my Shield tablet working with a controller, bitches. :positive:

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Did the patch fix the thing where every time you do something in town you have to watch a 30 second long dialogue from the shopkeeper? Like, if you buy 3 sandwiches you have to sit there for 90 seconds while he says THANK YOU ... FOR BUYING ... A THING FROM ME ... THANK YOU ... FOR BUYING ... A THING FROM ME ... THANK YOU ... FOR BUYING ... A THING FROM ME ... I remember that being the worst thing to suffer through in this game.

Sinatar

Arbiter
So I'm going to start a playthrough of this tomorrow and I'm just curious if I should go 3 fighters, thief, cleric, wizard or go 2 fighters, thief, cleric, 2 wizards.

How good is magic in this?

Morkar Left

Dungeons Lords wasn't that bad actually. The combat and leveling was actually quite good. It just wasn't visually pleasing and totally unfinished. There were several "new" editions of the game where I hoped they would stuff it with enough content but it was actually just a cash grab after another. The game always stayed with an empty liveless world. Which is a pity because the rest was satisfying. But now it's completely obsolete if you don't want co-op. If you want action-focused combat in your rpg you're better off with Dragon's Dogma.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
After playing W&W a bit more, it gets better. The beginning just reminded me of all the things I didn't like about it.

jungl

Augur
I remember trying this long time ago and being massively turned off by the combat. Dont think it reinstalling it on modern os is worth the time. This game should of got a proper remaster instead of them wasting time on dungeon lords. Dungeon lords is basically a single player more actiony vampire masquerade redemption but with worse everything. There no saving that shit.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Just finished the Snake Temple - well, that's quite a dungeon. It's humongous and has two end bosses. And I'm glad to see that stacking boxes has never been more than optional so far.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I started playing this and am enjoying it greatly, but now that I got a levelup and was super happy to raise my chars' stats... I get a CTD every time I try to pick a new spell for my mage or my cleric. I click on the available spell school, and boom, CTD.

"The instruction at 00000000 referenced memory at 00000000. The memory could not be read from"

Happens every time I click on the spell book (like sun, spirit, vine etc).

Sinatar

Arbiter
Just finished my playthrough. Took 49 hours total, personally thought the game was completely fantastic. Only real issue is the shitty quest to farm crab shells at the end that's not just a pain in the ass but is mandatory to progress through the game. Beyond that though, aces.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I'm in the last town as well now. My interest dropped somewhat after the dragon, but I think I will still finish it.

I get a CTD every time I try to pick a new spell for my mage or my cleric.

I'd try looking at the Voodoo 3D settings, such as is it in software mode, etc. Did you install the patch? Or maybe it's something like admin rights or launching in compatibility mode.

Sinatar

Arbiter
I had a bug in the underwater temple that causes a door to get stuck and you can't complete it. No saves far enough back either.

I remember getting the exact same bug a decade ago when I first played it. Grrrr.

I *thought* I'd ran into a bug there where one of the keys didn't spawn because the biggest walkthrough online mistakenly says it spawns randomly in a chest and is missable, when in fact it's in a fixed chest that's really easy to miss. Still had a small panic moment there.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I get a CTD every time I try to pick a new spell for my mage or my cleric.

I'd try looking at the Voodoo 3D settings, such as is it in software mode, etc. Did you install the patch? Or maybe it's something like admin rights or launching in compatibility mode.

Everything's in order, did the Voodoo 3D settings properly, patched, tried with and without compatibility mode, etc.

And the crash consistently only happens when I try to select the spell school on levelup. When creating a new char or just normally accessing spells, it's fine.

Wtf.

angelique

Barely Literate
I figured this would be worth posting in a new thread instead of necroing the old one.

After nearly a decade, I finally managed to get Wizards & Warriors running almost perfectly on a modern OS, thanks to the latest version of dgVoodoo2.

Previously, the Direct3D renderer was fucked (black patches on polygon faces, many other things broken) and you had to use Software mode to play, which in turn caused many problems with the mouse (hanged in certain spots, made the game practically unplayable). With the dgVoodoo2 wrapper, everything works perfectly under Direct3D mode.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Clean install
2. Apply unofficial 1.0 patch from Heuristic Park (http://www.jeffludwig.com/downloads/thank-you.php?tag=ww-hp-patch-v1.0)
3. Apply town avi fix (http://www.jeffludwig.com/downloads/thank-you.php?tag=ww-townavi)
4. Download dgVoodoo2 WIP 35 (http://dege.freeweb.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP35.zip). Copy the files from the "MS" folder (DDraw.dll, D3Dlmm.dll and D3D8.dll) into your root Wizards & Warriors folder. Make sure "Fast video memory access" is turned off and that the Output API is Direct3D 11 (feature level 10.0) as per the following screenshot:
dgv2w1st7.jpg

5. Play the best (before Grimoire) Bradley Wizardry successor, by the man himself. This is a seriously awesome game.

The only reason why it's nearly perfect and not quite is because the mouse still has a weird deadzone - probably related to the game's polling method. It's not a big deal and you can ameliorate it somewhat by upping your sensitivity/DPI.

Info from this thread on VOGONS:
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=52343" class="light_un" target="_blank">https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=52343

Enjoy!

Oh wizened sage, I am in need of your knowledge. I followed your instructions to the best of my minuscule abilities, with no improvement. The game play is choppy and I still can not access parts of the town. is there a step i missed? I unzipped the patches in where i assumed is the right place, yet I sit here hours later, flummoxed...

Sinatar

Arbiter
I figured this would be worth posting in a new thread instead of necroing the old one.

After nearly a decade, I finally managed to get Wizards & Warriors running almost perfectly on a modern OS, thanks to the latest version of dgVoodoo2.

Previously, the Direct3D renderer was fucked (black patches on polygon faces, many other things broken) and you had to use Software mode to play, which in turn caused many problems with the mouse (hanged in certain spots, made the game practically unplayable). With the dgVoodoo2 wrapper, everything works perfectly under Direct3D mode.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Clean install
2. Apply unofficial 1.0 patch from Heuristic Park (http://www.jeffludwig.com/downloads/thank-you.php?tag=ww-hp-patch-v1.0)
3. Apply town avi fix (http://www.jeffludwig.com/downloads/thank-you.php?tag=ww-townavi)
4. Download dgVoodoo2 WIP 35 (http://dege.freeweb.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP35.zip). Copy the files from the "MS" folder (DDraw.dll, D3Dlmm.dll and D3D8.dll) into your root Wizards & Warriors folder. Make sure "Fast video memory access" is turned off and that the Output API is Direct3D 11 (feature level 10.0) as per the following screenshot:
dgv2w1st7.jpg

5. Play the best (before Grimoire) Bradley Wizardry successor, by the man himself. This is a seriously awesome game.

The only reason why it's nearly perfect and not quite is because the mouse still has a weird deadzone - probably related to the game's polling method. It's not a big deal and you can ameliorate it somewhat by upping your sensitivity/DPI.

Info from this thread on VOGONS:
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=52343" class="light_un" target="_blank">https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=52343

Enjoy!

Oh wizened sage, I am in need of your knowledge. I followed your instructions to the best of my minuscule abilities, with no improvement. The game play is choppy and I still can not access parts of the town. is there a step i missed? I unzipped the patches in where i assumed is the right place, yet I sit here hours later, flummoxed...

Did you turn on direct3d in the game?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just trying it after reading some interesting reviews.
I used the "how to run W&W perfectly" post and it works well indeed (Win 8)

Still, two things are bothering me :
- mouse freeze/weird behavior when in the inventory or when trying to hit a button (it's ok, just slightly annoying )
- "Crash" when switching tabs, well, it doesn't really crash but i can't switch back to the game after 2/3 switches

Anyone knows how to fix it if possible ?

Another nuisance : levers seems to be almost invisible, like the one to open the crypt door downstairs (right after the outside door you open with the statue), if it wasn't for the walkthrough which told there was one and the "let's play" thread in the codex forum, i'd probably have dropped it already.

Except for that, the game seems solid, a shame we can't fast forward the NPC interactions but the promotion system is really good.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I played a bit with the vodoo options and the mouse lag is over.
Stopped switching screens (saving and quitting ) as well so the only thing left is NPCs rambling, specially in town.

I also noticed you have to pick guild quest for every character (adding the rambling, it becomes a minor nuisance )

Almost everything else is great so it's time to kick some ass.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Anyway to slow down the town screens? Everytime I click the arrows to move left or right the entire thing zips on by

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom