Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with bad artstyle

Back in the day I thought visual doesn't matter but nowadays think opposite so... what are the games with art so bad that it make you don't wanna play them only because of that?

1. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix - genric Flash vomit (at least you can bring back old sprites)
2. Street Fighter 4 (cartoonish, plastic crap, blah)
2. Marvel vs Capcom 3 (seriously, I cannot remember shit uglier than this)
4. Demikids (there's no need for every SMT game to have glorious Kaneko's masterpiece art but this abomination is beyond my taste, Pokemon clone worse than Pokemon, fortunately Incubus kept his sting-dick yeah)
5. Final Fantasy 9 - painfully forced attempt to recreate 1-6 aesthetics in 3D, awful

Erikolaz

Educated
I can't stand cartoony/childish art styles. That's always a deal-breaker for me. It's why I never got into WOW back in the day, and it's why I've never bothered with Divinity Original Sin. Incidentally, Fortnite is cancer.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Marvel vs Capcom 3 (seriously, I cannot remember shit uglier than this)
How can you say this when Infinite exists?

c45152b292a43c577208823ec2256246.jpg

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Any anime game and about 90% of cartoony shit. I love Midair but the artstyle is trash.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Cartoony style = best style
fite me

It's actually shite. Sorry.

Now normally i really wouldn't have a problem with that if that shit just wasn't everywhere. I can handle the occasional cartoony game (and of course it is fine when it is appropriate, like, Lucas Art games, and stuff like that) but not a majority of games having that pastel looking style. Even games that are meant to be realistic end up looking like that, somehow. First time i actually become aware for my aversion is when i played Torchlight, and i just couldn't reconcile the Diablo style music with the goofy cartoony visuals.

McPlusle

Savant
The fact that no one has yet mentioned the fact that games like Fortnite and Overwatch look like mobile shovelware is kinda surprising.

mbv123

Arbiter
Boredomlands
It's just so unappealing with it's brown and grey color scheme and art style that hurts my eyes with how bad it is.
Doesn't help that the game itself is boring as fuck.

Ash

Arcane
No no no no. Cartoony is fine. Games like Earthworm Jim, Donkey Kong Country, Monkey Island, Oddworld etc look highly appealing even today. Again it's mostly modern lo effort devs ruining everything. An exception is obviously Cuphead, but most modern cartoon games look like bile to me.

Just check out Donkey Kong Country (1994) vs Donkey Kong Country Returns (2010)

Tigranes

Arcane
Most games look anywhere between bad and mediocre. I can forgive a lot of things if a game tries to have a distinct and thought out style.

This, obviously, throws almost all standard cartoony-look superbright colours shit to the toilet. DOS1 looks like some sort of machine-generated fantasy RPG.

Ash

Arcane
This conversation is about 3D games. Of course cartoony works in 2D.

Nobody has specified 3D. "Cartoony artstyles are bad" is all that has been said ITT.

3D cartoony appeal is harder to do but it can be good. It's just seems like devs don't even try anymore; like because it's cartoony it doesn't need to be detailed.

The New Medievil remake is actually looking quite good though:
gxoNozN.gif

sullynathan

Arcane
Borderlands - game is fugly
Darksiders - War & the angels are probably the most pleasing things to look at in this franchise, everything else looks like they clash with each other

kintake

Savant
Baldur's gate EE and whatever the fuck they did to smudge out all the avatars. Reminds me of snes emulators and those horrible ass filters that makes everything look like pure garbage. Also, any and all use of bloom that i've seen so far has been terrible, in fact anything that tries to make your viewpoint that of a camera instead of a person is terrible to me.

Oh and as for FF9, I guess I get your point, but let me just say that the backgrounds are fucking terrific in that game. Read somewhere that the original high resolution backgrounds were lost in a data cleanup or something at Square, which really sucks, would have been such a sweet HD remake if we could get them entirely uncompressed.

Deleted member 7219

Cuphead (too much stuff happening on screen, with modern shit like lens flares, chromatic aberration etc)

Chibi shit (Ni No Kuni 2)

Modern MEGATEXTURES basically makes everything looks low-res (nu-Prey)

RPG Maker shovelware shit (take your pick, there's more and more coming out now, but I'm definitely not counting Stardew Valley as that game is beautiful)

Simplified graphics to draw in casuals (Overwatch has already been mentioned, but Team Fortress 2 did it first)

Grey (Prototype, Dark Souls etc - Darksiders has been mentioned but I haven't played it. Is Bloodborne like this too?)

Generic Steam casual shovelware shit (take your pick - anything made by some hipster and played by all your casual friends)

Black outlines in everything that isn't comicbook style (Borderlands gets a pass, Beamdog's latest shit definitely does not)

Last edited by a moderator:

Krivol

Magister
Oblivion. I hated everything there - artmour art design, weapon art design, UI design (it looks like crap), places design (some are really shitty, like castle with walls lower than a hill 2 meters of it), cloths, font, faces. Forests are ok-ish.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Earthbound
Civ 4
League of Legends (was ok at release, turned into generic shit into last few years)
Realms of Arkania HD

Big Wrangle

Killzone was extremely sterile outside of the Helghast, and those have been accused of rippoing off a manga one time. In which case, did they even have a concept artist?

Lionheart was also pretty weak. Outside of the portraits for the historical figures everything else was just bland and dull. You'd think the time period used would mean they'd spice things up, but that doesn't really happen. What a shame, tho I guess that kinda sums up the whole game

On a smaller scale, the first 2D Rayman game was kind of all over the place when it came to the characater design, it looked like some early draft that was never revised and taken as the final direction. This was slowly fixed with the following games, fortunately. Origins and Legends look pretty good overall minus a couple of characters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom