Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tower of Time - party-based real-time isometric dungeon crawler

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah I played around a bit. Presentation looks like something from 2005 and I don't mean that in a good way, the writing is on the level of lesbian fanfic. It seems rather combat heavy which is par for the course in a crawler, I actually kind of like the combat but it tends to drag. Seems like there's a lot of content if early areas are any indication.

Verdict after about 60 minutes - "not horrible". It's possible that it grows on you as you go along, but right now I'd say that it's only worth pirating or grabbing in a bargain bundle one day.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah I played around a bit. Presentation looks like something from 2005 and I don't mean that in a good way, the writing is on the level of lesbian fanfic. It seems rather combat heavy which is par for the course in a crawler, I actually kind of like the combat but it tends to drag. Seems like there's a lot of content if early areas are any indication.

Verdict after about 60 minutes - "not horrible". It's possible that it grows on you as you go along, but right now I'd say that it's only worth pirating or grabbing in a bargain bundle one day.
How's the char creation and customisation, if any?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

How's the char creation and customisation, if any?

At a glance it actually looked quite good , but I didn't play nearly enough to give any serious assessment of the systems.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
How is the writing? It seems pretty interesting but it could also be a trashy game with a diablo feel.

Solfear

Novice
There’s a lots to like about Tower of Time; for me something I appreciated was the way Artara’s descent into destruction was described and seems almost inevitable, which reminded me fondly of The Banner Saga. And like The Banner Saga, I will be curious to see how Tower of Time develops over the course of its series; to see the ways that it might innovate further, but a part of me can’t help but hope Artara is another doomed world, like Aurelia from Endless Legend. Tower of Time isn’t a massively ground-breaking game, but is a solid addition to the RPG genre, consistent with itself and impressive for a first time development. So if you’re looking for a new RPG, don’t mind reading or point and click dungeon crawling, then Artara might just be for you.
Hooked Gamers 7.8/10

Tower of Time is more than just a good RPG game. It invents some new game mechanics in the RPG-Adventure genre, displays immersive visuals and audio and has a cast of enjoyable characters and identities. While its story is too generic for my taste, most RPG-fans will love it all the more.

Most of all, Tower of Time is engaging, it begs to be played, to be experienced, first-hand. You won't regret picking Tower of Time up April 12th, as by then this game will be finished and have loads of well-crafted, polished and inspiring gameplay components waiting to be played.
Keen Gamer 8.5/10

I can’t begin to tell you how much customization is in this game. From selecting party members to the level up stat distribution, gear load outs, enchantment selections, moral choices in dialogue and the decisions on which environmental interactions to risk taking this is some of the most freedom I have ever seen in a game that is not of the contemporary open world design.

In the very best sense of the statement, Tower of Time is a game that requires a commitment to really dive into and explore all that it has to offer. It is a bit of a slower game but that doesn’t mean that it’s bad pacing, just that it wants you to become absorbed in it. It isn’t for everyone but those people who enjoy a rich, lengthly RPG that requires as much put into it as is gotten out of it, Tower of Timeis a must play.
Pixel Opinions 8/10

I am just a few hours in, playing in Epic from the start. It's an adventure/tactical RPG with slow/pause combat. Nothing like Diablo.

Solfear

Novice
Tactical RPG/Aventure
5 difficulty levels
40 - 70/80 hours long, depending on the difficulty level (Epic level seems very hard, with some optional boss fights near impossible)
Heavily story-driven with some C&C
Good music and intriguing story
Deep characters customization

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still can't understand how this game is so unrecognised even here on the codex.

- party based
- tactical rtwp combat
- decent story
- great graphics
- great voices and sounds
- crafting
- loot
- hundreds of different enemies
- dozens of bosses
- puzzles
- low price

infinitron should make a news post, I am sure a lot of people would appreciate it after trying the game. It may not be the codex goty, but it is a competent game.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:dealwithit: Fuck just decided to try it out and my video card overheated. I am too lazy to clean it now,so i will play it in a few days.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I still can't understand how this game is so unrecognised even here on the codex.

- party based
- tactical rtwp combat
- decent story
- great graphics
- great voices and sounds
- crafting
- loot
- hundreds of different enemies
- dozens of bosses
- puzzles
- low price

infinitron should make a news post, I am sure a lot of people would appreciate it after trying the game. It may not be the codex goty, but it is a competent game.
The answer is in the second(third) line of your post as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the Codex is inclining for a change ?

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
- tactical rtwp combat
Someone has yet to compare this game to the Codex's all time favorite: Pillars of Eternity.

It's not rtwp as classic games. The game is designed to reduce speed at 5% of real world time when you need it. You can activate classic rtwp but is not the primary choice of the game.

Also, the combat is not on the main map, is a bit like an jrpg, moving through the map solving puzzles and reading shit, then a combat popup can appear and the game loads a new combat zone where you fight.

Is not a triple A game, but a competent rpg and for the price they ask, totally worth imho.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Been playing 15 hours (hard, third floor) and its been quite fun so far. Random loot system & crafting is bad and not gaining experience from combat seems like an odd choice. Story is so far decent/acceptable and cutscenes are very good. Respeccing skills can be done at any given time and respeccing stats is cheap as fuck which is useful to customizing for specific random encounters and bosses.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
plenty of western RPGs utilize a seperate field for combat.

like Krondor games for example, but I guess that game is basically a western JRPG.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
This youtube comment on a Tower of Time video seems especially relevant:

Should have had voiced narratives. This is the only reason I didn't get Divinity Original Sin. But after they added the audio update, I bought it ASAP

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
was watching gameplay video and this game looks and seems to play just like a Tower Defense game. ugh.

frajaq

Erudite
game seems to want me to care about the story but it's really bland, although the tower itself is intriguing
also I was expecting a minimum of character customization for the PC but so far it seems I can only play with pre-set companions? disappointing
items are RNG diablo-like, depends on your taste if you like it or not
the graphics are surprisingly good
also in the settings I can choose between the Arrow-Time being the super slow-time or straight up pause, why I would ever choose the slow-time is beyond me

after like 15 minutes of the game I give it :3/5:

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Played through the 1st boss on hard.

- The story seems somewhat intriguing. I'm not really enthralled so far, but there's definitely potential. I don't give a fuck about narrated exposition (the voices in my head do a fine job).
- Graphics are ok although all of the swirly shit bogs down my i3 pc...not the best optimization. I'm averaging just under 30fps on ultra setting. DOS1, and especially 2, ran much more smoothly with better graphics.
- Item drops so far are frequent and fairly substantial. I enjoy loot and this game has it.
- Combat is really clever. I don't mind the arena style as combat in the narrow corridors of the main game would be awkward. The slow-down system works beautifully. It's really slow, so you have plenty of time to switch up your tactics. But when your defenses are in place and your attacks are good to go you can feel confident in switching to real-time. So far, I've felt no need whatsoever to turn on pause. The addition of spells that you draw with the mouse is a fantastic idea. I've only used one (stone wall), but it works just like you want it to.

So far I'm really pleased with this game. I've been playing mostly tactical skirmish games lately and no actual RPGs (with a capital RPG). This game fills that void very nicely.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Playing on Epic. Game does not handhold. Popamole crowd will be displeased, but battles are brutal and require preparation/tactics. Ofc if you are not up to it, can play on easy-normal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom