Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

Shinji

Savant
Only Platinum japanese developers can give us good hack and slash games

:desu:

Ivan

Arcane
God of War's combat was never god-tier so team Santa Monica re-working it is not a bad thing at to me. I'd be more concerned about how they address QTEs

kalganoat

Savant
Gonna wait for player impressions for this one. It could be good but you never know. Sony marketing is pushing this game hard. Every outlet in my country got a review copy.

Crafting systems, a "one take" camera (which I apparently didn't even notice in games mentioned previously in the thread that did the same thing?), simple combat, and an invincible AI companion. None of these things - besides the companion - are necessarily damning, but I'd certainly question the insanely positive response. When Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild started making waves, I kept hearing how it was absolutely revolutionary from a gameplay perspective and people went to great lengths to quantify their opinions and explain what was so damn good about the game.

Now God of War has reviews coming out, people start calling it the next revolution in gaming and I feel like I'm not getting a firm answer as to why. It's the story, it's the graphics, it's the button mashing. It's a million things we've seen before but look at this character who used to be a psychopath and is now an A+ dad? I've literally played around with every single element of this game and its bizarrely derivative looking UI with a variety of games from the last ten years, but look at how sparkly the textures are? My experience in real life with Sony cultists who were more religious about shitting on every release for non-Sony platforms than they were about God may have made me a bit jaded, but there's nothing about this that states that this really brings anything to particularly interesting to the table. Is the 'dex making me a jaded asshole, or does this game legitimately look generic and uninteresting?

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
When Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild started making waves, I kept hearing how it was absolutely revolutionary from a gameplay perspective and people went to great lengths to quantify their opinions and explain what was so damn good about the game.

Now God of War has reviews coming out, people start calling it the next revolution in gaming and I feel like I'm not getting a firm answer as to why. It's the story, it's the graphics, it's the button mashing.
Pretty much, they say God of War is the next step in gaming but in what way? No-one seems to bother giving the answers, everyone just seem to suck off the game and leave it at that.

https://www.newgamenetwork.com/article/1886/god-of-war-review/

The only sane review I read on this game.

"At the core of level design though is walking and conversing with Atreus, occasional linear climbing, and fight areas. Given that you can't jump, your navigation options are fairly limited."

"It may be unfair to compare God of War 2018 to its predecessor, God of War 3, which featured incredible scale and bombastic action set pieces, but the enemies you'll face in the new title are a bit underwhelming. You'll be mostly fighting creatures from the Norse mythos, and there are no humans to be found here, though many foes take on nearly identical humanly shapes such as Hel-Walkers and Primordial Draugrs. Flying Nightmares require the axe to be thrown, while Revenants are highly annoying foes that are tough to pin down. Fighting enemies that are largely all the same size and type, though of course with different attacks and vulnerabilities, does get a bit repetitive. The large foes such as trolls and ogres act as mini-bosses, but there are only a few moments of incredible scale in the entire game, and most of the combat, even against main bosses, lacks the sense of chaos and scale that fans would perhaps hope for."

If not this? What the fuck am I playing for? So I can learn how to raise my son if I have anger issues!? Unfair to compare the epic scale of the prior games to the new one cause the new ones are made by a bunch of wannabe movie artsy cucks?

Ash

Arcane
This stinks of low standards storyfag circlejerking or financially incentivized reviews.

Zer0wing

Cipher
When decline enables came for blobbers, I didn't care - I'm no combatfag
When decline enables came for CRPGs, I didn't care - I'm no systemfag
When decline enables came for adventures, I didn't care - I'm no storyfag
When decline enables came for hack and slashes - there was no one to protest

It hurts to see God of War stray way from it's core and transgress to QTE & cutscene galore just to please The Lust of Us fanbase. Fond memories of GoW I and II actually running under emulation on PC back when you could only rely on DMC 4 for a decent action are still fresh.

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Implying God of War was ever a great (or even good, at least as far as action is concerned) character action games series to begin with.

The new one looks visually impressing, I must admit. But reading a few sentences of any journo opinion on it is carcinogenic.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
zYQA989.png

It's everything BUT God of War

:negative:

flyingjohn

Arcane
I don't know what people were expecting. Isn't the main game director a sjw and it is not like the series had any merit before.
Also i doubt ay hack and slash fans even buy god of war,the series main fan base couldn't tell apart devil may cry from ninja gaiden.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Pretty much, they say God of War is the next step in gaming but in what way? No-one seems to bother giving the answers, everyone just seem to suck off the game and leave it at that.

I probably represents the next, bold generation in payola given to reviewers, so it is a new landmark in gaming industry history, really.

Taurist

Scholar
If its as anywhere anear as good as they claim I'll finally be getting a PS4. I'll have enough great exclusives to justify it.

It's probably best to consider this effectivly a new IP. The first two GoW games justified themselves, but you can tell even santa monica was getting embarrassed making this shit by Ascension. And utterly out of ideas. Can't let a profitable IP set by the wayside though can they?

Martius

Liturgist
I wonder if ending of third game is explained at all. I thought it is perfect occasion for new character, not just new setting with Kratos.

Valtiel

Scholar
In my country there are even shitstorms happening because a notorious site gave the game JUST 9, saying that the combat system is limited. Like the people in the comment section are storming it.
I dunno why I still care about these videogames at all...

Anyway I was wondering if there were still nonsensecial but satisfying violence outburst against human-like gods in this game, and more importantly: TITS. I guess looking at how serious and grim and dark the game got I have already my answer. And I liked The Last Of Us.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom