Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG had the strongest effect on you as a person?

Suicidal

Arcane
Labyrinth of Touhou 2, because I never expected that a game that looks like it was made on a budget of $100 and one expired burrito could be so interesting to play.

It inspired me to start learning how to code and looking into game development, which is what I'm doing now.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Gothic I&2. Only years later I was aware enough to understand how blessed I was to learn and love RPGs through one playable character, instead of those party cuckery shitshows.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Definitely Night Below, the boxed adventure set for 2nd Edition D&D. No other module taught me better how to design a campaign with engaging content, good mix of activities, and an interesting plot that the players can interact with without feeling railroaded. Night Below taught me that good campaigns can be split into distinct acts with each act having some level of sandbox feel to it, but the plot still moves along. Night Below taught me how to develop areas and NPCs and construct chains of clues and quests with multiple solutions in no set order to all lead towards a climactic adventure.

In short I think that Night Below should be mandatory required reading for all aspiring DMs who want to design their own campaigns.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Might and Magic VI was the rpg that make me fell in love with the genre. It have everything i love in a good rpg,on my first playtrough i blow up the planet and thought that it was the ending. Also i learned English because of the game.

Gothic 3,it came out at "interesting" moment of my life and the exploration was very relaxing and fun.

Also Skyrim,it made me aware of the codex.

Almost forgot KOTOR 2,i learned how to court women in this game,the Handmaiden is still in my mind.

Last edited:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wasteland is not the best RPG I've ever played, but it sparkled my interest in RPG systems and general reactivity that's still going on today. So I guess that's my answer.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Tunnels of Doom when I was 11. Discovered it right around the time my friends down the road introduced me to the Mentzer Basic set of D&D. It taught me that who fucking needs homework, when I can waste every waking hour thinking about RPGs?

nikolokolus

Arcane

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I could name stuff like Phantasy Star 2, Daggerfall, Darklands or Planescape Torment but the first game that made things click for me on the possibilities of what an RPG was Hero’s Quest (later renamed Quest for Glory)
I was a huge Sierra adventure game fan but the sheer openness of HQ was simply amazing for me; in most adventure games you had a set path of puzzles and a way to traverse though the adventure, but in HQ the choice of your character gave you the path on how to deal with quests and puzzles... for example you could have a thief who mostly focused on sneaking around and stealing stuff, or add some magic to that character so you could have the option of doing puzzles as a thief or a mage, that gave the game so much replay ability
Adding the usual Sierra charm of the time and a wonderful “to do” system where only by practicing the skill you wanted to improve you could get better (not even modern games get to implement a system so well) and you had my mind blow with the sheer openness of that game and the QfG series in particular

Beastro

Arcane
Yeah, Diablo 1 was pretty tight and I think it's way better than Diablo 2. Loved the sound effects, music, ambiance and the simple yet effective storytelling that amounted to going down further and further until you found yourself in the bowels of Hell. Loved the look of Tristram too, held that "this town looks quaint and comforting but there's some sinister shit" vibe on lock.

The town music made dicking around buying and sell and arranging your pile of shit in the middle of town more than tolerable on top of that.

Morkar Left

Starflight 2 on Amiga. Only available in English (but with a German manual). Made me play it with a dictionary (wtf is "upspin" and goddamn these aliens are impossible to understand with their gibberish...) after studying the manual multiple times. It wasn't my game and I got it only later as a present together with map and box and all (still have it!). An open world you have to explore and figure out its mysteries on its own. First game I really felt FREE to explore. And damn, did it felt huge! Basically my sole inspiration to learn English at the time.

On more traditional rpgs it was Amberstar. Available in German and on Amiga I had a blast. Good mix of everything (except very few sidecontent) it truly showed what an rpg can deliver in regard of everything. Followed by RoA because I was a DSA player anyway and seeing (nearly) all the pnp rules implemented was just awesome.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Starflight 2 on Amiga. Only available in English (but with a German manual). Made me play it with a dictionary (wtf is "upspin" and goddamn these aliens are impossible to understand with their gibberish...) after studying the manual multiple times. It wasn't my game and I got it only later as a present together with map and box and all (still have it!). An open world you have to explore and figure out its mysteries on its own. First game I really felt FREE to explore. And damn, did it felt huge! Basically my sole inspiration to learn English at the time.

On more traditional rpgs it was Amberstar. Available in German and on Amiga I had a blast. Good mix of everything (except very few sidecontent) it truly showed what an rpg can deliver in regard of everything. Followed by RoA because I was a DSA player anyway and seeing (nearly) all the pnp rules implemented was just awesome.
You were not the only one. I mean not necessarily because of Starflight 2 but i guess many nerds started to learn English for the sole purpose of playing computer games. I know I did, just like you.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Strongest effect on me had BG1 when I played it back in the days, cuz I didn't know shit 'bout rpgs back then
I see that you have become well versed in the way of RPGs now. Please,due tell us about your the horrors,oh great sage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom