Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto 5 Becomes Most Profitable Entertainment Product of All Time

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Since its release in September 2013 as sold 90 million units, amassing to $6 billion, making it the highest grossing media title to date. Movies such as Star Wars and Gone With the Wind have not come close to Grand Theft Auto 5’s sales, even when adjusted to inflation, and taking into account DVD and streaming sales. Grand Theft Auto 5 is so successful that Take Two is not planning on releasing GTA 6 as GTA 5 is outselling most games every year (and that doesn’t even include microtransaction sales). Rockstar Games’ latest title, Red Dead Redemption 2, is even making other publishers move away from a November release window, like Activision’s Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, which, for the first time, is releasing in October.

https://gamerant.com/gta-5-most-profitable/

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Do they only count copies sold? I think revenues of WoW (or LoL) are likely much bigger than GTA V.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I didn't even get myself to finish the SP, playing 3 characters is stupid and most missions were boring juvenile crap.

GTA 1 and 2 had the best gameplay.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
the fact that such a ~problematic~ game exists is a miracle in the current year; let alone it being an absolute omni-success

im fine with this
GTA games are politically correct, they never go beyond what is acceptable.
They still are really misogynistic but "journalists" can't complain because GTA is too popular with actual video gamers.

Mustawd

GTA games are politically correct, they never go beyond what is acceptable.

That wasn't the point though. The point is that's it's popular regardless of what SJWs think. Not that it's politically incorrect or pushes any envelopes. It's basically your typical rated R movie. Which SJWs find "problematic".

Big No

Novice
GTA V is the most profitable product Rockstar have ever released, yet at the same time several of GTA IV's song licenses are about to expire and Rockstar is deciding to just replace them all rather than renew the pre-existing songs. Such a shame.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
GTA V is the most profitable product Rockstar have ever released, yet at the same time several of GTA IV's song licenses are about to expire and Rockstar is deciding to just replace them all rather than renew the pre-existing songs. Such a shame.
Shit like this is why I pirate AAA games.

Big No

Novice
Shit like this is why I pirate AAA games.
Pretty much. The game industry as it exists now is fucked. It's like you don't own games anymore, the publishers just lease them to you. I get that licenses expire and all that, but they're taking out half the soundtrack to a decade old game, on all platforms I might add, when it would supposedly cost from what I've read $85.000 to $510.000 to renew everything. Chump change practically.

mbv123

Arbiter
I don't blame them for not wanting to pay half a million for licenses for a 10 year old game that barely nets them any profit nowadays.
Mods exist for a reason and if you're a consoletard then tough luck :^)

Xeon

Augur
The last 2 missions of GTA 5 were pretty great. Normally I think in all GTAs you had a mission where you need to massacre an army of enemies and then a long chase, one screw up and you repeat the entire thing from start. 5 seems had a bank heist which was kinda fun and then a clean up of all enemy leaders which kinda felt rushed tbh.

Kinda mixed feeling about the checkpoints, they made things really easy but at the same time pretty convenient since you don't have to start from a safe house and then drive to the mission.

Big No

Novice
I don't blame them for not wanting to pay half a million for licenses for a 10 year old game that barely nets them any profit nowadays.
Thing is though that they're not just removing the songs, they're replacing them with new ones. So they're spending money on music anyway. Instead of using that money on the pre-existing soundtrack, they're using it just to get new stuff like dumbasses.

mbv123

Arbiter
Thing is though that they're not just removing the songs, they're replacing them with new ones. So they're spending money on music anyway. Instead of using that money on the pre-existing soundtrack, they're using it just to get new stuff like dumbasses.
Really? I thought they just removed them not replaced them. But yeah, that's pretty fucking dumb if that's the case.

They are replacing the songs with new ones. As far as I am aware, there's no word on what they're using as replacements. Maybe they got a bunch of cheap junk nobody wants to listen to or just had someone's hobby/band record some covers.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I didn't even get myself to finish the SP, playing 3 characters is stupid and most missions were boring juvenile crap.

GTA 1 and 2 had the best gameplay.
What an edgy phaggot you are. I wish I could come out of your screen and mush your face.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Isn't Tetris and Minecraft more profitable??

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom