Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG in making - can I get some advice, please?

Dizztal

Literate
Hello everyone!

I'm hoping I can find some advice here, concerning a game I'm working on.

It's an RPG and I'm in a desperate need of feedback, and also advice. The combat's turn based, with a square grid movement.

I'll be honest. I shot myself in the leg with this project. I began working on a short, combat heavy turn-based game, that should have been finished in a few months in between two jobs. Fast forward a year later,
and this is the result.
I somehow forgot to do a feature freeze, and now it kind of does everything a complex RPG engine does. (dialogues, scripted in game "cinematics", an unfinished story, switching between dimensions, a complex stat system, card based magic/deck builder, various enemies - summoners, casters, ranged and melee, etc. etc.)
I blame Baldur's Gate and Fallout 1 for this, for being so awesome that I'd feel compelled to replicate their awesomeness.

So as I finished the alpha version, I realized it's April already ( should have been finished in August of previous year ). And now I'm kind of clueless what to do with it. I really wanted to keep this a low budget game, but as it is now, it needs a lot of content. And the content needs artwork, and generally lots of work and time to feel finished - about a year or two of work left I think, and I need to reduce this amount of work significantly, or find resources to be able to finish it in full.

I do intend to sell the game - if it ever gets finished - since it ate up a lot of my resources. Would be nice to get some of it back.

So for the advice I'm in need of:
  • what low budget, simple art-style would fit this game? anything specific in mind? do you think it would work without characters animated in all 8 directions? any other ideas concerning the art style?
  • does the style from screenshots/video make you not want to play it? is it repulsive? can you imagine this style working, if more work went into it? (I spent around week of work on the assets so far)
  • how long should this type of game be to be worth it to the player?
  • should I reduce the difficulty? the game's pretty easy when you figure out the right tactics for specific encounters, but I've been told it's too hard.
  • do you think any crowdfunding campaign has any chance of success, considering I have no options for rewards except for the game itself?
  • or should I scrap the game and make something simpler instead?
  • what do you think of the itch.io game page? what should I change?
  • anything else I should consider? what would you do if you were in my place?
  • any feedback on the game itself?
Thank you very much, for your time and wisdom!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There's hardly anything of substance I can add I guess so I'll just answer this one:

do you think any crowdfunding campaign has any chance of success, considering I have no options for rewards except for the game itself?

If your game is something nobody's ever heard about, or nobody's likely to ever hear about (because you lack the cash to bribe anyone to cover it), or you're someone nobody's ever heard about, your crowdfunding campaign is probably gonna crash and burn. From what I can tell, crowdfunding has stopped working for "nobodies with their dream games" long ago.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

When you discuss your game, present it in a more positive manner.

This is a tactical, magic-heavy fantasy RPG. It sucks. Also, it's awesome; meaning that it's a work in progress, so the dev art used is quite bland and the game doesn't have an ending (or anything beyond first location), but the author thinks you'll have a blast anyway, if this is your type of game (there's a chance you will, if you liked Fallout 1,2 and Baldur's gate).

That sounds like something you would say to a friend in casual conversation. If you immediately tell strangers that your game has a lot of problems and that they won't like it, then you start off on the wrong foot. I used to describe the game I'm working on in the same way, but now I try to speak more positively about it. I would rewrite your opening paragraph like this:

"This is a tactical, magic-heavy fantasy RPG. Heavily inspired by classics like Fallout and Baldur's Gate, The Prisonmaster incorporates new elements into a tried and true formula. The graphics are currently a work in progress, but the game is a blast. Future updates will feature impressive artwork and animations by (artist's name here)."

I'm not going to write the rest, but this makes me think more highly of your game, and makes it more likely that I will actually download it or watch the video. Things like "It sucks" and "the author thinks you'll have a blast" and "if this is your type of game" are not good things to tell potential fans. Make me feel like I did the right thing by downloading your game; why should I like it? If you tell me the game sucks and looks like shit, then I will feel stupid for wasting time on it. If I don't like "tactical, magic-heavy fantasy RPG" games, then I can decide for myself not to download it, you don't need to push me away.

I haven't played it yet, but I think the video looks cool. If I was you, I would try to find an artist to make some really visually appealing splash screens or something, determine whether or not I had the artistic ability to make the in-game assets or whether to get a professional, I would make a lot more content so the game lasts longer than an hour/has a lot of replayability, and then try to figure out a good way to advertise it and get sales.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I'll be honest. I shot myself in the leg with this project. I began working on a short, combat heavy turn-based game, that should have been finished in a few months in between two jobs. Fast forward a year later,
and this is the result.
I somehow forgot to do a feature freeze, and now it kind of does everything a complex RPG engine does.

(...)

So as I finished the alpha version, I realized it's April already ( should have been finished in August of previous year ). And now I'm kind of clueless what to do with it. I really wanted to keep this a low budget game, but as it is now, it needs a lot of content.
I'll simply quote what a more eloquent man than I has already said: "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

I do intend to sell the game - if it ever gets finished - since it ate up a lot of my resources.
Allow me to remind you that nobody will ever see anything but the finished product. We don't care how much work it took you to put it out because we have no way of knowing it nor care.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Did you intend the very second encounter to be so difficult? You go from fighting 3 enemies to suddenly being surrounded by 6 with almost no choke points. Anyway, art direction should really based on something that you yourself are passionate about. It also depends if you are planning to do the visuals yourself or hire someone. For a project like this it may be best suited to go for relatively simple, abstracted graphics, then have more stylistic portraits for the characters and enemies.

Don't know if you played a game called Winter Voices, but your game reminded me of it.

gallery_47_1725_img.jpg

Sloul

Savant
Heii there,

The graphics are an issue because there is no unity in style.
And yes, there are people willing to buy/play/test games with low graphics.
Simply assume that you restrict you player base to that kind of people.

I would certainly try to get some income from the work you achieved if I were in your position.
You can either sell your engine as mentioned before, but I doubt you'll make a fundamental return on your investment. Because for an engine to grow on popularity, it needs to have some success somewhere.
People will judge on the quality of the demo you can provide and/or on the quality of video-games on the market that use it. So, they'll pretty much judge your game.
Which, in the end, leads me to suggest you: if you really want to capitalize on what you just made. Go through it.

And yes, you can crowdfund, and you can even get the visibility to do so. But you'll need to contact websites/communities that can introduce your project to a larger audience.
Before communicating about your project, you want to make sure you've got enough documentation to have a clear vision of what's the end project going to be.
If you see that you manage to gather some interest from the internet, nothing can stop you from starting a crowdfunding campaign.
Time will be your main issue, but at this point, I think you are familiar with this concept.

Right now, I have no idea what your project is about. It looks like a rogue-like from what I can tell, but you're throwing names like FO1 and BG1, as it stands, I would not give you a single $ on a crowdfunding campaign, simply because I cannot identify what you are doing. And that also tells me you have a lack of understanding of the genre.
<< this is an asumption, but it showcase what people might think and react if you do not better communicate around your project.

Lastly, I like the fact that you are honest about your project. ''It sucks, but it's cool''.
There are a bunch of ''indie'' developers who throw key-words and superlatives about their games, which, you do not. And that's cool.
I think you need to have a frostbite engine and heavy propaganda machine to go into the verbal BS.
So I think, it's cool as an indie who can only communicate through his own website and a couple threads to keep it 100% honest.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I liked the art in the video. What jumped out to me is that -- maybe just because I'm old -- the card-game mechanics seem a relatively unusual and newfangled feature that doesn't jibe with all of the oldschool games you're mentioning. I know that Ash of Gods and The Great Whale Road included similar mechanics, so perhaps this is the Way of the Future, but I dunno, the overall thing I see bears almost no resemblance to BG1 or Fallout.

I would add that you are right to be concerned about the amount of content necessary, but art isn't the only content: the quests, dialogues, encounters, etc. in RPGs take forever to make, getting the systems set up is only the first of many hurdles. RPGs are always tempting to undertake, but I think the conventional wisdom that they're hard first projects is basically right.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Ok, just went with my first playthrough. I enjoyed it a lot! The story is nice and the combat has been fun so far.
I liked the spell system, but the deck and cards aesthetic is kind of off-putting. Scrolls and spell-tomes are dumb too, just in case you though about replacing it with that. Sorry I can't offer a better option though.

The fight after I killed the bear (the one with the spawning firehounds) I got killed. Game got bugged or something. Thing is it got stuck when I should have respawned, and I hadn't saved until then, so I lost all my progress. I quit for now, but I'll play it again on my week-end and come again if I have any more comments to make.

Stuff you should look into:
It's incredibly annoying not having any kind of keyboard support, give me my WASD for displacement and quick access keys for attacks and char sheet.
Also, make sure to run your texts through a spell-checker, there were some misspellings here and there.

Dizztal

Literate
Wow... I didn't know what to expect from this forum, but I must say I'm very lucky I came across it. I feel very honoured by your responses. Each and every one of them were extremely helpful!

If your game is something nobody's ever heard about, or nobody's likely to ever hear about (because you lack the cash to bribe anyone to cover it), or you're someone nobody's ever heard about, your crowdfunding campaign is probably gonna crash and burn. From what I can tell, crowdfunding has stopped working for "nobodies with their dream games" long ago.

Thank you for pointing this out, you confirmed my suspicion.

You should release this "engine" for others to use with proper documentation
This never occurred to me. It'd take a lot of code cleanup, logic changes and programming some utilities for dialogues and such, but I'll definitely keep this in mind. It will be great as a project milestone.

That sounds like something you would say to a friend in casual conversation. If you immediately tell strangers that your game has a lot of problems and that they won't like it, then you start off on the wrong foot. I used to describe the game I'm working on in the same way, but now I try to speak more positively about it. I would rewrite your opening paragraph like this:

"This is a tactical, magic-heavy fantasy RPG. Heavily inspired by classics like Fallout and Baldur's Gate, The Prisonmaster incorporates new elements into a tried and true formula. The graphics are currently a work in progress, but the game is a blast. Future updates will feature impressive artwork and animations by (artist's name here)."

I'm not going to write the rest, but this makes me think more highly of your game, and makes it more likely that I will actually download it or watch the video. Things like "It sucks" and "the author thinks you'll have a blast" and "if this is your type of game" are not good things to tell potential fans. Make me feel like I did the right thing by downloading your game; why should I like it? If you tell me the game sucks and looks like shit, then I will feel stupid for wasting time on it. If I don't like "tactical, magic-heavy fantasy RPG" games, then I can decide for myself not to download it, you don't need to push me away.

On one hand I want to notify people that the game has issues so they don't waste time if they don't feel like playing an incomplete game. On the other hand, you might be right that saying it outright sucks and so on, might not be the way to go, and it might damage the project. Thank you for pointing this out, you gave me something to think about.

By the way, would you mind if I used the first paragraph edit you wrote, with some changes?

I haven't played it yet, but I think the video looks cool. If I was you, I would try to find an artist to make some really visually appealing splash screens or something, determine whether or not I had the artistic ability to make the in-game assets or whether to get a professional, I would make a lot more content so the game lasts longer than an hour/has a lot of replayability, and then try to figure out a good way to advertise it and get sales.

I'm very glad you liked the video. I originally intended to do all the art myself, but I need to do more research into my options/what could I actually pull off. I did get several ideas from replies here, though I'll have to experiment with my artistic limitations.

Did you intend the very second encounter to be so difficult? You go from fighting 3 enemies to suddenly being surrounded by 6 with almost no choke points.

You should have the "discharge" spell at that point, which would make the battle quite easy. There's a "lightning" for you to pick up, you should have walked past it already...?

Anyway, art direction should really based on something that you yourself are passionate about. It also depends if you are planning to do the visuals yourself or hire someone. For a project like this it may be best suited to go for relatively simple, abstracted graphics, then have more stylistic portraits for the characters and enemies.

Thank you for this suggestion. I'm writing it down as a possibility.

Don't know if you played a game called Winter Voices, but your game reminded me of it.

I haven't played the game, and didn't know it until today. Thank you for introducing it to me, it led me to some interesting sites and ideas.

Heii there,
The graphics are an issue because there is no unity in style.
And yes, there are people willing to buy/play/test games with low graphics.
Simply assume that you restrict you player base to that kind of people.

This is an invaluable piece of advice! I'll remember this.

I would certainly try to get some income from the work you achieved if I were in your position.
You can either sell your engine as mentioned before, but I doubt you'll make a fundamental return on your investment. Because for an engine to grow on popularity, it needs to have some success somewhere.
People will judge on the quality of the demo you can provide and/or on the quality of video-games on the market that use it. So, they'll pretty much judge your game.
Which, in the end, leads me to suggest you: if you really want to capitalize on what you just made. Go through it.

Every bit of encouragement is valuable, thanks!

Right now, I have no idea what your project is about. It looks like a rogue-like from what I can tell, but you're throwing names like FO1 and BG1, as it stands, I would not give you a single $ on a crowdfunding campaign, simply because I cannot identify what you are doing. And that also tells me you have a lack of understanding of the genre.
<< this is an asumption, but it showcase what people might think and react if you do not better communicate around your project.

I think this opinion is one of things I was looking for, without knowing what I was looking for it. I hate to admit it, but you are right. I started with simple mechanics, and then kept adding to them, heavily inspired by BG and FO. I just failed to realize I ended up with something that has very little in common with the aforementioned, except for turn based combat (FO) and that you can cast spells in some manner (BG). When you say it like this, I feel dumb for not noticing something so unbelievably obvious. Oh well... at least I have a good heart...

Lastly, I like the fact that you are honest about your project. ''It sucks, but it's cool''.
There are a bunch of ''indie'' developers who throw key-words and superlatives about their games, which, you do not. And that's cool.
I think you need to have a frostbite engine and heavy propaganda machine to go into the verbal BS.
So I think, it's cool as an indie who can only communicate through his own website and a couple threads to keep it 100% honest.

I want to keep it honest, but also would like avoid damaging my prospects, as Agesilaus has pointed out before. I'll have to think on this. Thank you for letting me know though .)

What jumped out to me is that -- maybe just because I'm old -- the card-game mechanics seem a relatively unusual and newfangled feature that doesn't jibe with all of the oldschool games you're mentioning. I know that Ash of Gods and The Great Whale Road included similar mechanics, so perhaps this is the Way of the Future

And here I thought I was doing something original :D I'm still not sure if a deck of cards is the way to go, but it gives each encounter a nice layer of randomness, that the player can strategize around.

, but I dunno, the overall thing I see bears almost no resemblance to BG1 or Fallout.

As I mention before in a response to Sloul

"I don't like the fact, but you are right. I started with simple mechanics, and then kept adding to them, heavily inspired by BG and FO. I just failed to realize I ended up with something that has very little in common with the aforementioned, except for turn based combat (FO) and that you can cast spells in some manner (BG)."

I'll seriously reconsider mentioning those two in the future.

I would add that you are right to be concerned about the amount of content necessary, but art isn't the only content: the quests, dialogues, encounters, etc. in RPGs take forever to make, getting the systems set up is only the first of many hurdles. RPGs are always tempting to undertake, but I think the conventional wisdom that they're hard first projects is basically right.

You're right, though I feel that the quests, dialogues, encounters and story overall seem to be easier to think up and write, than creating the art that represents them. Although I have to go through many iterations when writing, at least I know - more or less - what I'm capable of in this department. Now art, that's a different chapter. I did a few works I myself liked and was content with, but those were pure 2D. This 2.5D perspective is yet another aspect I shot myself in the foot with, since I never did anything from this perspective, and don't really know what quality I can actually produce. But yeah... you learn your whole life, or at least that's what they say.
And I agree that it is hard. I didn't consider many things before, that I have to deal with now. I've yet to decide what direction it'll take. But thank you for your comment. It was very educational .)

Ok, just went with my first playthrough. I enjoyed it a lot! The story is nice and the combat has been fun so far.
You can't imagine how glad I am to hear that! .)
I liked the spell system, but the deck and cards aesthetic is kind of off-putting. Scrolls and spell-tomes are dumb too, just in case you though about replacing it with that. Sorry I can't offer a better option though.
I actually get that a lot. It is a shame, the deck/cards kind of grew on me as they are now, even if it is only dev-art. But I understand, and thanks for reminding me.
The fight after I killed the bear (the one with the spawning firehounds) I got killed. Game got bugged or something. Thing is it got stuck when I should have respawned, and I hadn't saved until then, so I lost all my progress. I quit for now, but I'll play it again on my week-end and come again if I have any more comments to make.
You actually found a bug I encountered once, and then wasn't able to reproduce again. If you haven't started the game since then, could you send me the log file? It should be located in C:\Users\[YourUser]\AppData\LocalLow\Dizztal\The Prisonmaster\output_log.txt . The error that caused the freezing could be recorded there, and it would help me to fix it.
Stuff you should look into:
It's incredibly annoying not having any kind of keyboard support, give me my WASD for displacement and quick access keys for attacks and char sheet.
Also, make sure to run your texts through a spell-checker, there were some misspellings here and there.
I'm implementing this, it should be done before the weekend. I'll leave a comment here when it's done and uploaded .)

Thank you all again for your input. It's been very valuable!

Dizztal

Literate
Also, I forgot to mention: next time you start a new game, if you pick Save 3, you'll start right before the encounter the game froze at, with all XP, equipment and spells you would collect before, so you don't have to go through it all over again. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

On one hand I want to notify people that the game has issues so they don't waste time if they don't feel like playing an incomplete game. On the other hand, you might be right that saying it outright sucks and so on, might not be the way to go, and it might damage the project. Thank you for pointing this out, you gave me something to think about.

By the way, would you mind if I used the first paragraph edit you wrote, with some changes?

Feel free to use my suggested paragraph however you see fit. Honesty is definitely important, I wouldn't recommend lying to potential fans.

You said, "I want to notify people that the game has issues so they don't waste time if they don't feel like playing an incomplete game." I reckon you can relate that by just saying something neutral, like "the game is in an alpha state" or "this is an early beta, and a lot of functionality and graphics will be coming in future versions". But everyone has their own style, my only real point is that first impressions matter, and readers will pick up on your attitude towards the game.

Which reminds me, I need to take down my old itch.io game listing. I changed the negative language to something very neutral, but it's a really old version of the game that doesn't resemble what it is now. Better to show people nothing rather than something that they will totally dislike.

I'm very glad you liked the video. I originally intended to do all the art myself, but I need to do more research into my options/what could I actually pull off. I did get several ideas from replies here, though I'll have to experiment with my artistic limitations.

If you are comfortable at doing a certain type of art, you could see about sharing the burden. That way you still do some of the artwork, but the stuff that doesn't suit your skillset could be done by a contractor.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
You actually found a bug I encountered once, and then wasn't able to reproduce again. If you haven't started the game since then, could you send me the log file? It should be located in C:\Users\[YourUser]\AppData\LocalLow\Dizztal\The Prisonmaster\output_log.txt . The error that caused the freezing could be recorded there, and it would help me to fix it.
Damn, I did start it again, guess it's not bringing anything important now:
Initialize engine version: 2017.2.0f3 (46dda1414e51)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (ID=0x6738)
Vendor: ATI
VRAM: 1011 MB
Driver: 15.301.1901.0
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in 0.053 seconds
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

<RI> Initialized touch support.

Setting up 2 worker threads for Enlighten.
Thread -> id: a88 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 13ac -> priority: 1
UnloadTime: 1.900800 ms

Also, Crashes folder is empty.
Oh, and I did see that save-game the very first time I opened the game, but after the bug the file disappeared and the third save slot is now empty.
Just deleted the folders, redownloaded the game and executed it, but save file still missing. Is there some other temporary folder I should be deleting?

Another possible bug/feature I found and forgot mentioning: Is it intentional that I should be able to kill Stingdraw (or whatever his name was)?

Dizztal

Literate
... my only real point is that first impressions matter, and readers will pick up on your attitude towards the game.

Point taken (finally) . I will keep this in mind .)

Which reminds me, I need to take down my old itch.io game listing. I changed the negative language to something very neutral, but it's a really old version of the game that doesn't resembles what it is now at all. Better to show people nothing rather than something that they will totally dislike.

If I might ask, what are/were you working on? Any links, videos or game names I could check out, or play?

If you are comfortable at doing a certain type of art, you could see about sharing the burden. That way you still do some of the artwork, but the stuff that doesn't suit your skillset could be done by a contractor.

I'd be inclined to do so, but I can't afford to pay anyone, unfortunately. Might keep this as an option for the future. .)

Dizztal

Literate
Damn, I did start it again, guess it's not bringing anything important now:
Initialize engine version: 2017.2.0f3 (46dda1414e51)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
Version: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (ID=0x6738)
Vendor: ATI
VRAM: 1011 MB
Driver: 15.301.1901.0
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in 0.053 seconds
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

<RI> Initialized touch support.

Setting up 2 worker threads for Enlighten.
Thread -> id: a88 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 13ac -> priority: 1
UnloadTime: 1.900800 ms
No worries. It'll come up some day.

Oh, and I did see that save-game the very first time I opened the game, but after the bug the file disappeared and the third save slot is now empty.
Just deleted the folders, redownloaded the game and executed it, but save file still missing. Is there some other temporary folder I should be deleting?

If you click "Load game" there should be nothing. You need to click "New game", and select Save 3 - that's what'll send you to the stage before the first summoner encounter. I admit this is not very intuitive, but the main game menu is also something I have to redo from scratch.

Another possible bug/feature I found and forgot mentioning: Is it intentional that I should be able to kill Stingdraw (or whatever his name was)?

Every NPC in the game should be killable. The beekeeper should also
start a dialogue and drop an unique spell
after you kill him.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
If I might ask, what are/were you working on? Any links, videos or game names I could check out, or play?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-in-gms-2-demo-available.118904/#post-5548407

There was an old demo, but I took it down because literally everything has been changed. I hope to release in 2 or 3 months as the art assets are produced and I finish the writing, but another issue is that I don't actually have any audio right now. If anyone reading this knows a great and affordable audio guy, or package of audio assets they recommend, let me know.

Here is the old, neutral description that was on the itch.io page which I just took down:

Thesiad is a story-driven RPG that merges Choose-Your-Own-Adventure text events with old school action RPG combat. This is an early demo/prototype that consists of the core gameplay without the final art/sound assets and polish. This game ultimately seeks to achieve the following:

1. Present the story of Theseus in a way that is faithful to the primary source texts.

2. Allow the player to make meaningful decisions and change the story of Theseus' journey to Athens.

The gameplay consists of three parts:

1. Overworld: Explore towns while traveling to Athens.

2. Text Events: Make meaningful decisions and see historical illustrations.

3. Battle: Real-time combat against a variety of opponents. note: this has changed, it is now turn-based combat

The demo consists of the first town, Troezen. Other locations are currently in development. With feedback, testing, and support, I hope to finish the other locations by the end of the year and then start improving the graphics, sound, and core mechanics until it is ready for a commercial release.

Credits will be added in complete versions of the game, but needless to say I am very thankful for everyone who has provided their feedback and support. Special thanks also to the people who have selflessly created GMS 2 tutorials and sample code (Benjamin Anderson, Beyond Us Games, and Noobs We Stand, especially), and to the ancient authors and scribes who wrote down and preserved the stories depicted in this game.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Ok, some more comments:
With WASD I meant map displacement, not the character's. Mouse is fine for that.

I'm not sure I like the idea of being able to fuel only focused cards.

Why does evasion work as shield 2? Shouldn't it actually represent the chances to completely evade an attack?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Can't edit my post for whichever reason, so have a double.

Just finished the game. Loved it, I wanna keep playing!
I correct my stance on the focus, it's a nice feature. I actually had to cycle through a couple of tactics before finding what suited best for slaying the guardian.
The story is very nice.
I like your work/picks for BGM, it sets the tone very well.
I'd like to see a proper description on the side of the char sheet with regards to what each skill does and how it develops. Guessing how many points I'll have to put into Agility to get another AP isn't fun.

It froze two times and had to alt+f4. Here are the logs:
https://pastebin.com/hU6nbZnJ
https://pastebin.com/NwDCy0Jp

Dizztal

Literate

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-in-gms-2-demo-available.118904/#post-5548407

There was an old demo, but I took it down because literally everything has been changed. I hope to release in 2 or 3 months as the art assets are produced and I finish the writing, but another issue is that I don't actually have any audio right now. If anyone reading this knows a great and affordable audio guy, or package of audio assets they recommend, let me know.

Here is the old, neutral description that was on the itch.io page which I just took down:

Thesiad is a story-driven RPG that merges Choose-Your-Own-Adventure text events with old school action RPG combat. This is an early demo/prototype that consists of the core gameplay without the final art/sound assets and polish. This game ultimately seeks to achieve the following:

1. Present the story of Theseus in a way that is faithful to the primary source texts.

2. Allow the player to make meaningful decisions and change the story of Theseus' journey to Athens.

The gameplay consists of three parts:

1. Overworld: Explore towns while traveling to Athens.

2. Text Events: Make meaningful decisions and see historical illustrations.

3. Battle: Real-time combat against a variety of opponents. note: this has changed, it is now turn-based combat

The demo consists of the first town, Troezen. Other locations are currently in development. With feedback, testing, and support, I hope to finish the other locations by the end of the year and then start improving the graphics, sound, and core mechanics until it is ready for a commercial release.

Credits will be added in complete versions of the game, but needless to say I am very thankful for everyone who has provided their feedback and support. Special thanks also to the people who have selflessly created GMS 2 tutorials and sample code (Benjamin Anderson, Beyond Us Games, and Noobs We Stand, especially), and to the ancient authors and scribes who wrote down and preserved the stories depicted in this game.

Looks good. Anywhere on Twitter/Facebook I can follow you?

Dizztal

Literate
Ok, some more comments:
With WASD I meant map displacement, not the character's. Mouse is fine for that.

I'm not sure I like the idea of being able to fuel only focused cards.

Why does evasion work as shield 2? Shouldn't it actually represent the chances to completely evade an attack?
Silly me :D You're right, that would make a lot more sense. Will implement this in the next version.

Evasion is kind of a representation of you being able to evade an incoming attack. Like in IRL fight, you can dodge or block only so many attacks, but once you're sufficiently hit, you loose some of your composure, and then it's down to your toughness and armor. Kind of... + I didn't want to go into chance rolls for this one, since it would push the game further into randomness.

But there's some balancing left to be done, and this mechanic might change a bit later on.

Can't edit my post for whichever reason, so have a double.

Just finished the game. Loved it, I wanna keep playing!
I correct my stance on the focus, it's a nice feature. I actually had to cycle through a couple of tactics before finding what suited best for slaying the guardian.
The story is very nice.
I like your work/picks for BGM, it sets the tone very well.
I'd like to see a proper description on the side of the char sheet with regards to what each skill does and how it develops. Guessing how many points I'll have to put into Agility to get another AP isn't fun.

It froze two times and had to alt+f4. Here are the logs:
https://pastebin.com/hU6nbZnJ
https://pastebin.com/NwDCy0Jp

I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed it :)

Concerning the char sheets, it's a planned feature.

And thank you for the log outputs! I went through them, but didn't find the reason why it froze. What did it look like? Did the UI bar appear after clicking? Or did it freeze so even the "clouds" in the background stopped moving?

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I'll simply quote what a more eloquent man than I has already said: "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Todd Howard has been trying that for years. I don't buy it.

A better take on this is, "...but when there is nothing left [that makes sense] to take away.

Mustawd

I know I'm wasting my breath, but the best advice out there is to create ur game in an existing engine. Something that's premade. Don't worry about the graphics. Just make something. Then get feedback. Then iterate.

Engines available that are easy to put something together include Iceblink,. FRUA, RPGmaker, Aurora (NWN), Fallout Online, Blades of Avernum, etc. You can even try to make some modules using the DOS1 or DOS2 tools.

But like I said before, you won't. And i'm wasting my breath. Good luck. Look forward to forgetting
about this game project in a few weeks ad never hearing about it ever again.

Dizztal

Literate
Todd Howard has been trying that for years. I don't buy it.

A better take on this is, "...but when there is nothing left [that makes sense] to take away.

That should be obvious, I think. Still, it's nice you posted this, that quote made me nervous when I read it the first time .)

Dizztal

Literate

I know I'm wasting my breath, but the best advice out there is to create ur game in an existing engine. Something that's premade. Don't worry about the graphics. Just make something. Then get feedback. Then iterate.

Engines available that are easy to put something together include Iceblink,. FRUA, RPGmaker, Aurora (NWN), Fallout Online, Blades of Avernum, etc. You can even try to make some modules using the DOS1 or DOS2 tools.

But like I said before, you won't. And i'm wasting my breath. Good luck. Look forward to forgetting
about this game project in a few weeks ad never hearing about it ever again.

Thanks I guess .) I'll try my best to disappoint you .)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom