Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I know it popular/customary to nitpick here but sorry the game looks like it's going to be amazing. Seems like PoE (which I already liked) but much better polish, better visibility in combat, multi-classing (awesome), more interesting setting, great art and graphics, much better exploration etc.

Sure you can be critical about things but in my experience/view this is the case for every RPG of this kind out there so it's more a case of just setting your expectations realistically. I feel especially for PoE people here are asking basically for absolute perfection.

Deadfire complete edition will be rpg goty easily despite horible writing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
three messages up fantadomat ya spoon
Didn't load the "you have messages after the one you read". Saw it too late :),also not a spoon,most certainly a fork. Don't go around spamming the refresh button while watching the stream in hopes that there will be a massage five minutes later that will address my concerns.

I think that the peace option is the one with the money or the first one.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Even if it was sarcasm, why isn't there an option to not be involved?

Because you’ve just found the secret hideout of a secretive cult that’s currently conducting a human sacrifice; you became involved the moment they saw you. After all those traps and secret doors, of course they’re going to be very displeased about being found.

Not only have you I interrupted a sacred ritual, you’ve stumbled on information they cannot allow and outsider to possess. If there is a way to talk your way out of that perdicament, it’s certainly not by being glib.

All this defence and it turns out obsidian gave you the options! All hail Obsidian!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another code: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95782-worldofeternity-funny-business-speculation/?p=1995026

mDjZsK - from "Welcome to the Deadfire Explorer's Scavenger Hunt!" email.

Welcome to the Deadfire Explorer's Society Scavenger Hunt!
Now that you've connected your Steam account, it's time to find codes to unlock the special in-game items that may be useful in your seafaring travels. These six-digit alphanumeric codes have been hidden in a variety of different Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire assets; from screenshots and trailers to social media posts, website banners, and images.

Once you find a code, head back to the Scavenger Hunt website and enter it. Each item takes a few more codes to unlock than the last, but we've hidden plenty of them out there for you to find.

When the game launches on May 8th, you'll find the items you've unlocked in your inventory after you get aboard the deck of the ship. What ship you ask? Well, you'll just have to find out after May 8th!

Happy hunting, explorer! Here’s a code to get you started: mDjZsK

32/55

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another code: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95782-worldofeternity-funny-business-speculation/?p=1995026

mDjZsK - from "Welcome to the Deadfire Explorer's Scavenger Hunt!" email.

Welcome to the Deadfire Explorer's Society Scavenger Hunt!
Now that you've connected your Steam account, it's time to find codes to unlock the special in-game items that may be useful in your seafaring travels. These six-digit alphanumeric codes have been hidden in a variety of different Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire assets; from screenshots and trailers to social media posts, website banners, and images.

Once you find a code, head back to the Scavenger Hunt website and enter it. Each item takes a few more codes to unlock than the last, but we've hidden plenty of them out there for you to find.

When the game launches on May 8th, you'll find the items you've unlocked in your inventory after you get aboard the deck of the ship. What ship you ask? Well, you'll just have to find out after May 8th!

Happy hunting, explorer! Here’s a code to get you started: mDjZsK

32/55

it says I have already entered that code, and I'm still at 31
WTF
edit: had to put it in 6 times before it finally accepted it.. wtf? obsidian cant even program a webpage without bugz

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Screwing around with the Beta, you can actually make it slow enough to see what the hell is going in combat, and you can retarget spells during cast so you don't end up wasting them on a target that's moved or a dead one. The AI seems to be much improved as well. Lack of class balance and interesting builds aside, this is looking to be one of the better incarnations of tactical RTwP I've seen. It's no turn based, but it's actually fairly fun.

(The move away from attrition based strategy to "use everything you got in this battle because that's all that matters" sucks, but it does seem like mods could fix it.)

2house2fly

Magister
I still don't know what Empower does exactly. It raises the power level of spells, I think they've said before. What exactly is affected by power level? Damage? Accuracy? Duration? Area of effect? Everything??

Prime Junta

I still don't know what Empower does exactly. It raises the power level of spells, I think they've said before. What exactly is affected by power level? Damage? Accuracy? Duration? Area of effect? Everything??

It depends on the specifics of the effect. Most everything scales with level now: some spells give more missiles, others get a longer duration, others get higher damage, and so on. Empowering pumps your effective level by some fairly serious amount, I think it was about six at some point? A quite a lot anyway.

Think of it this way: it's as if everything worked like DnD magic missiles or fireballs, and Empower let you kick your caster level up by a bunch.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
That potentially makes empower very useful with some abilities and quite ineffective with others. I think I like that actually even though it's not very Sawyerist. For example direct damage increase can be very potent for a nuke, while duration can be either very potent or useless etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-lives-the-pirates-l/2300-6443530/

Pillars Of Eternity 2: Deadfire Lives The Pirate's Life In The Upcoming CRPG Adventure
Deadfire gives you lots of options for creating a hero, sailing the high seas, and taking on epic quests. Watch us explore a big chunk of it right here.

With Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, the direct sequel to Obsidian Entertainment's return to the classic CRPG genre, the scope of its fantasy-adventure expands on all aspects of its storytelling and gameplay. Developed with the help of community feedback, it allowed the team to keep their ear to the ground as they refined their follow-up. During PAX East 2018, we had the chance to chat with game director Josh Sawyer about their development process, while also getting a taste of what's to come in the exploring the new locales of Deadfire.

Set directly after the first game, which ended with the player character known as The Watcher amassing an army and vast resources to make their mark on the world of Eora--for better or for worse. While returning players can carry over their save file and pick up where things left off, Deadfire's story will also work as a solid entryway into the series. Sometime after the events of the first game, your stronghold is left in ruins after a new force makes its presence known. After reuniting with the party, you'll acquire a ship and set sail to explore new lands in the Deadfire archipelago to attain the strength to counter the new threat.

"We've done a very good job at listening to the feedback from backers, when it comes to both from a mechanical perspective and also from a narrative and storytelling perspective," said Sawyer. "We got a lot of feedback from the first game that the main hook wasn't very compelling, so we've tried to make the critical path much clearer to players in this game. We've also raised the stakes a great deal. The scale and the scope of this game is much more epic and more grand. We wanted the feeling of this game to be something going from Baldur's Gate 1 to Baldur's Gate II."

Much like the original, Pillars of Eternity II sticks with its roots as a CRPG title, allowing you to sink your teeth into the game's rich storytelling and RPG systems. Deadfire introduces a number of new characters and settings to overarching saga, while also adding in many more conflicts for you to deal with. One big theme in Deadfire is the issue of colonialism, with many of the islands natives in strife due to the encroaching presence of the empires from the mainlands--and how your own presence may make things worse. And in familiar CRPG fashion, you'll end up having to make some tough decisions that can impact the fates of particular factions trying to co-habit a space--resulting in a series of events that will transpire in ways you least expect.

In addition to the improved craft in storytelling, there's also some upgrades to the existing gameplay systems. The Watcher will now be able to adopt two classes and grow them simultaneously. For instance, by choosing both the Monk and Cipher classes--focusing on both close-range melee and stun magic--you can combine a class's individual strengths to create some truly exciting skill sets that complement their unique abilities. Moreover, the trip on the high-seas now brings a newfound level of exploration and storytelling. While on your ship, you may encounter enemies and other events, which takes place in the new ship-battle system. Of course, it takes a large crew to run a seaworthy ship, and you'll have to keep morale high in order to make your trek through Eora's oceans run effectively.

The original Pillars of Eternity showed that there was still great potential in the kinds of stories CRPG games can tell, while also offering some deeply satisfying role-playing game systems. With Deadfire's May 8 release fast approaching, the upcoming CRPG will launch first on PC, with its release on consoles sometime after. Obsidian's follow-up to one of the strongest RPG titles in years aims to raise the stakes for its exciting adventure on the high-seas.

2house2fly

Magister
Set directly after the first game, which ended with the player character known as The Watcher amassing an army and vast resources to make their mark on the world of Eora--for better or for worse.
1: set 5 years after the first game
2: that's not how the first game ended
3: this sentence is badly constructed

Apart from that, thumbs up

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Does anyone else feels that the graphics are lacking the vibrant colours from the first game? Looking at this,it kind of feels more dry and brown. Also it looks like the sea battles will be just spamming 1 and then boarding the enemy.

frajaq

Erudite
Does anyone else feels that the graphics are lacking the vibrant colours from the first game? Looking at this,it kind of feels more dry and brown.

They showed a lot of places with vibrant colors with previous screenshots and videos

But for some reason for this gamespot article they decided to show a battle in the middle of a sandstorm, so someone who might be checking this game out for the first time may have the exact same impression as you

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
My god man, Xoti is fugly. Can't they make one female character that looks remotely fuckable? Like seriously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom