Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview BattleTech Basics Video #3: Story + Mercenary Campaign Streams

Black

Arcane
I just wanna point out that dragonfall was also a sjw yankfest and this tranny was not involved afaik.
He might've been under his actual name.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I get that every company has a free reign over the stuff they choose to produce, but why does everything nowadays have to get a social/racial agenda attached to it. MW universe source books are splattered all over with early '90 weirdness and most characters depicted look like drag queens on a Kiss concert, yet somehow they aren't half as cringy as what they're pushing here...

And the mech maintenance stuff is just straight up bullshit, literally removing an fun aspect of resource management for the sake of "not feeling bad":retarded:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
No boys allowed? Does that thing know that 99% of players will be guys (likely incels to boot)? :retarded:

The gameplay mechanics so far seem dumbed down and retarded, making me wonder whether should I refund the instant the game becomes available to Codex backers, or wait for the inevitable "Extended Edition" + 1d20+6 mandatory mods.

That's one really horrendous tranny. Even our Kaiserin in that infamous diapers vid was more feminine and less cringey, FFS (and let me tell you - it was a very shitty vid).

Last edited:

Zeriel

Arcane
Kek, I still remember there were quite a few people here who gave us shit last time we brought up the SJW stuff. "Don't worry, it won't impact the games."

Uh... huh...

Just another piece of evidence to add to the "social justice entryism is a terminal disease" pile.

Van-d-all

Erudite
citation needed
Not sure what citation do you need, but if it's about the original MW art design - a rather (in)famous illustration of Marshigama's Legionnaires:
SqLw8Wz.jpg

- "House Liao" sourcebook p.97, FASA Corporation 1988

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
"Don't worry, it won't impact the games."
Shadowrun series wasn't really affected by it imo. Gameplay was solid enough, and you could tell it was Weismans focus, which was good. Problem there was lowering the bar for tablet gaming, the limitations were blatant.

Now HBS problem is a "shitgoblin" infestation :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
citation needed
Not sure what citation do you need, but if it's about the original MW art design - a rather (in)famous illustration of Marshigama's Legionnaires:
SqLw8Wz.jpg

It was acceptable in the 80s.

But I actually meant citation needed on "having a social/racial agenda attached to it". There's the LOL PRONOUNS in character creation, but as far as I know nobody has spotted any actual "SJW" content in the game's storyline/dialogue/quests/content yet...

Black

Arcane
citation needed
SqLw8Wz.jpg

But I actually meant citation needed on "having a social/racial agenda attached to it". There's the LOL PRONOUNS in character creation, but as far as I know nobody has spotted any actual "SJW" content in the game's storyline/dialogue/quests/content yet...
Characters being able to trace their ancestry to Earth and weirdly they're all race mixed?

Zeriel

Arcane
Shadowrun series wasn't really affected by it imo. Gameplay was solid enough, and you could tell it was Weismans focus, which was good. Problem there was lowering the bar for tablet gaming, the limitations were blatant.

Now HBS problem is a "shitgoblin" infestation :lol:

It was hit and miss. I detected none of it in the original Shadowrun AFAIR, but there were really obvious strains of it in Dragonfall. I guess they couldn't resist with it being set in Naziland. Still it seemed to go almost entirely dormant in Hong Kong, so who knows. Ultimately I liked Dragonfall the most, so it does go to show the quality of the game is paramount above other things.

I do think there's a critical mass of political belief where it becomes a real problem, though. Once you go too far down the "the cause is more important than the art" path, it does start to reflect itself in the products.

Van-d-all

Erudite

Shit, I find it even acceptable nowadays because the cheesy Robot Jax style is actually a part of it's setting.

As for the SJW stuff, maybe it's not as obvious as I thought, as it become commonplace nowadays, since movies have been getting that treatment for years, but what irked me, was the forced inclusiveness of gender/race/culture/disability in a relatively small crew. Just what are the odds of that? It's simply unnatural. IMHO the essence of real tolerance is that, such things should just be completely irrelevant to character creation and so they shouldn't conform to any ratios or quotas, not get them cast like a menagerie of zoo animals for maximum spread and representation.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
there is actually a sub-group of feminists who disavow males who sex-changed into females. Google "transphobia in feminism". Interesting reading.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
It was hit and miss. I detected none of it in the original Shadowrun AFAIR, but there were really obvious strains of it in Dragonfall. I guess they couldn't resist with it being set in Naziland. Still it seemed to go almost entirely dormant in Hong Kong, so who knows. Ultimately I liked Dragonfall the most, so it does go to show the quality of the game is paramount above other things.

I do think there's a critical mass of political belief, though. Once you go too far down the "the cause is more important than the art" path, it does start to reflect itself in the products.
HBS showed, with Shadowrun at least, they're good at working around technical limitations - big plus. Having a handicap like that over 3 games would just build a team's creative momentum on future projects. But yeah, once you start capitulating to professional-victims, the promising skillsets you cultivated will go to waste. T:ToNumenera, similar example, worst case scenario though haha. Don't think HBS is at that sort of risk, yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As for the SJW stuff, maybe it's not as obvious as I thought, as it become commonplace nowadays, since movies have been getting that treatment for years, but what irked me, was the forced inclusiveness of gender/race/culture/disability in a relatively small crew. Just what are the odds of that? It's simply unnatural. IMHO the essence of real tolerance is that, such things should just be completely irrelevant to character creation and so they shouldn't conform to any ratios or quotas, not get them cast like a menagerie of zoo animals for maximum spread and representation.

But do they talk about it ("My ancestors came from Wakanda on Old Earth, for years they were oppressed by the White Davions until we escaped to the Periphery!") or did the character artist just think it would be interesting to draw his generic far future people based on real life ethnicities?

It was hit and miss. I detected none of it in the original Shadowrun AFAIR, but there were really obvious strains of it in Dragonfall. I guess they couldn't resist with it being set in Naziland. Still it seemed to go almost entirely dormant in Hong Kong, so who knows.

Interesting because Hong Kong was the one with the multiethnic menagerie for a crew. Your crew in Dragonfall were seemingly all white German people. On the other hand it did have that "Kill Stormfront HQ" mission. :D

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, but that's the thing about social justice. It's not about BEING multi-ethnic, it's about the cause. A bunch of white people loudly decrying their "privilege" and wanting to go out and punch "nazis" is more social justice than a jap, a korean, a chinese dude, and a maori bro fucking shit up together.

Maybe there was something in HK, but I don't remember it. I do remember the "we're all about fighting nazis" lines in Dragonfall, because they stuck out like a sore thumb. Its that whole schtick of superimposing current political awareness on a setting that's supposed to be far in the future, far in the past, or in an entirely different world (hello Dragonspear).

Sloul

Savant
Just paying attention at the portraits now and, is there any caucasian portraits?? Seems like they are all asian/afro.

Zeriel

Arcane
nazis will always be bad though? even in the far future?

The idea that "nazi" would mean anything in a hundred years time is a bit sketchy, to be honest. I mean... maybe, but if it does, it will only be because it keeps getting recycled. It would be like saying you want to go out and punch hussars today.

Zeriel

Arcane
I do remember the "we're all about fighting nazis" lines in Dragonfall, because they stuck out like a sore thumb.
...have you never been to Germany?

An accurate portrayal of the climate, unfortunately. Lol.

Sure, but will it be like that in 30 years time? 50?

I mean I could understand if it was talking about petty gang in-fighting or something, but the way I remember it being framed is some great cultural struggle, with the brave communist street cells on one hand and the fascist institutions and religious groups on the other. And it's pretty clear which side the developers want you to sympathize with.

Maybe that conceit would work if Dragonfall was some Darklands-esque sandbox where you could identify with either, but it just comes across as pedantic preaching when your side is already chosen. And it ultimately has no bearing on the story, so I wonder why it was included. Maybe they think it was good "flavor"? I anxiously await reports from people who loved Dragonfall precisely because it reflected current politics, and not because they got to fuck around with crazy brain-frying dragon ghosts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom