Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Storm The lies of Sol Invictus

Master

Arbiter
Ive been reading some old Silent Storm threads and i found strange and kinda funny how this poster, Sol Invictus (cool name btw) went from liking the game

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/my-gripe-with-silent-storm.3099/

calling it "the best tactical turn-based combat game since JA2. ToEE comes close, but it doesn't have the same interactivity as Silent Storm."

But with one honest (and really not that big of a deal) gripe --- enemy turns take long.

Then a couple of months later he says

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/poorly-done-turn-based-combat-sucks.5286/
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/poorly-done-turn-based-combat-sucks.5286/

Has anyone here mentioned why Silent Storm sucks -because- of its turn based combat, yet? If not, I'll say this: I don't want to wait 30 whole god damn minutes for the enemy turn to finish.

TOEE and the Age of Wonders series of games had it just right, with quick turn based combat and simultanious enemy movements.

Jagged Alliance 2 is alright because there's not many enemies to fight at once, but have you ever been in a town attack encounter with a large number of enemy forces against a large number of militia? That takes forfuckingever to finish because it'll take roughly 5 minutes a turn and by 2 hours, there will still be a few enemies left - because they don't retreat! It'll be a fun (in a poking your eyes out with a fork and swallowing them is so much fun! kind of way) because you'll sit have to sit through a series of missed shots. I had the battles autoresolve themselves because I didn't want to watch them.

Seriously, who enjoys sitting through this shit?

He is so traumatized by long waiting, his hatred turns into outright LIES about the game (Sentinels)

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/why-sentinels-sucks.5208/
I just snagged Silent Storm: Sentinels and started a new campaign off on Normal (the easiest setting) with a Soldier as my main character. What irritated me in the first mission (they're randomly generated - I got the kidnap mission) was the fact that the AI controlling Boris is just plain horrible. If you run up too fast he'll lag behind and you'll die soon after you pop up the stairs as you'll have to face off against 2 guys armed with melee weapons and 2 guys with pistols. You are armed with the worst pistol ever known to man - it does 10-12 damage per hit, even less than your melee attacks. Comes with 7 ammo, and that's that.

There's a trick to getting Boris to run up the stairs before you do, and it's the only way to win the mission. As soon as you step up the stairs he'll follow after you, you have to step back down and let him pass. If you don't, he'll just run around in a circle down there and he won't help you at all.

What's worse is that even if you manage to defeat all of the guys there, you can't loot any of them because old retarded AI Boris picks up -everything- that you find before you can loot, so you end up without having any equipment at all, including the guns that the bad guys drop. If you want to survey the map after you're done with the bad guys, you'll likely bleed to death if you don't get to the exit marker fast enough since they'll leave you with 5% of your health remaining.

The really stupid part about this map is how there's a locked door and a lockpick but you can't use any of it unless by chance you started the game off as a Scout. What's up with that?

Basically, it's as if this map was tailored as a vignette for the scout, since you can get a knife early, except it was given to me - a Soldier. Bah.

I'm reading the forums and most of the users suggest to restart the game until you get one of 2 possible starting missions: rescuing a scientist, or the archives mission. Rescuing the scientist gets you a silenced pistol from one of the bad guys, while the archives mission gives you a ton of loot to start off your campaign.

If you thought that was dumb, it gets even dumber. When you hit the base, you can't buy any equipment nor can you get any teammates for your next mission. This proved to be the Game Over for me when the next mission told me to fetch some documents from some guy after which I was ambushed by a bunch of gangsters - 7 altogether, all armed with powerful pistols. I managed to get the gun off the first guy (after a bit of saving/reloading to make sure I didn't take too much damage) but I couldn't kill the rest of them, even with a gun and 4 clips. It's just not possible without a lot of saving/reloading.

What the hell kind of game forces the player to save/reload just to win, anyhow? That is just plain stupid.

Anyway, from reading the boards, I know that it gets a lot worse. It costs $1000 to get healed up at the base hospital and mission rewards are only around $800-1200. Guns cost over $2000 so it's pointless to buy them. You end up turning all of your units into mules just to pick up all the crap you find on missions. Medikits cost $500 and don't restore VPs. If you use them, you end up with anywhere from 10-50% of unhealable VPs in the next mission, meaning you'll only have a small portion of your health.

Utter crap.

That's all fucking stupid. I don't think that anyone QA'd this game.

What the fuck?

I played the game hundred times and never got these random starting missions. Was this in some early version or something? I cant find anything about it.

This
I don't know why they didn't implement an auto-loot feature as JA2 did, and that's an old game.
is just a damn lie. The auto loot is exactly what they did add so... what?

And why is he become such a casual all of a sudden; game is too hard, i have to pay for guns and health... He cant pass the Restaurant Gangster Ambush? What, did he just run out into the streets every time like a fool?

I dont understand.

Yes sometimes i was pissed at this game too, i wanted to throw the whole goddamn computer out the window. But it wasnt so bad that i would lie about it.

Master

Arbiter
Sol Invictus - Invincible Sun

Wikipedia

Sol Invictus ("Unconquered Sun") was the official sun god of the later Roman Empire and a patron of soldiers. On 25 December 274 AD the Roman emperor Aurelian made it an official cult alongside the traditional Roman cults.[2] Scholars disagree about whether the new deity was a refoundation of the ancient Latin cult of Sol,[3] a revival of the cult of Elagabalus,[4] or completely new.[5] The god was favored by emperors after Aurelian and appeared on their coins until Constantine I.[6] The last inscription referring to Sol Invictus dates to AD 387,[7] and there were enough devotees in the fifth century that the Christian theologian Augustine found it necessary to preach against them.[8]

Apparently this roman dude posted on the Codex.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I love JA2 as much as the next guy, but waiting for 20 militiamen to finish their turn is about as much fun as giving yourself a prince albert without anesthesia.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I love JA2 as much as the next guy, but waiting for 20 militiamen to finish their turn is about as much fun as giving yourself a prince albert without anesthesia.
That's why you let the militia defend towns by themselves using auto-combat.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
That's why you let the militia defend towns by themselves using auto-combat.

I also like to simply butcher the rebels in Omerta and make do without their hordes of commie rabble.

Martyr

Arcane
hmmmm, Sol Invictus, obviously I've never heard of him.
so I'll just stalk his profile and check out his threads
---> Diablo 3, Dungeon Siege 2, Hellgate London, Oblivion
:prosper:
of course this guy doesn't like Silent Storm!

Ladonna

Arcane
That was a little while ago...

Shall we talk about 'The Glorious Revolution' now?

Poor Mamas Gang...I wonder what happened to them.

And I see Admiral Jimbob has an Andhaira title on his username. What did I miss there?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Oh man, Hellgate London, what a heartbreaking piece of shit. Luckily I also bought Witcher 1 on the same trip to Best Buy and that was pretty good in the context of the 2008 RPG wasteland.

I’m disappointed that Mr. Unconquered Sun is so lame. Sol Invictus is the best pagan deity and this dude does not deserve the name. If Constantine had stuck to his original convictions we might all be sun worshippers today—the great advantage of the Sol Invictus cult is that you can actually see god, although his radiance will burn your eyes if you stare too long.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
>taking Ian Miles Cheong seriously
who
ian_miles_cheong.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom