Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mazisky

Magister
Pillars 1 tutorial\early is a lot better than Baldur's Gate one.

You have a nice situation and many cool events to learn the basics as opposed to Candlekeep random monks who run to you saying "press this to do this".

Candlekeep is a cool place, but the pacing and atmosphere of Pillars 1 early is more compelling.

Imho Pillars 1 start is one of the best part of the game along with Raedric's castle

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
[...]

One missed opportunity is the great atmosphere they've got going after you awaken. It's kinda similar to after Gorion dies in Baldur's Gate, which I guess was intentional, how you're sorta left alone out in the wilderness. But that lovely, hostile feeling never really takes off. Despite the fact that Gilded Vale is all grimdark it never feels dangerous. In BG there was a great feeling of dread, especially with the little "boss fight" just outside Friendly Arm Inn.
Oh, yeah, absolutely. It was amazing in the original BG1 just how "lost" you were after your foster-father just bit it, and the feeling of being lost tied in great with the feeling of loss (which the player likely did not really experience). The very real sense of "What now?" bridged that a lot in more than one sense.
It's a great engineered moment of uncertainty. Gorion is dead, you can't go back, there's nothing to go on but a vague direction, and just when you think things can't possibly get any worse: 'Heya! It's me, Imoen!'

Proceeds to install imoen romance mode...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
extro-218609-Baldurs_Gape-_Ogres_assfuck_their_enemies_dry_-_01.jpg

lusciousnet_lusciousnet_extro-228156-baldurs_gape-_ogres_ass_844850752.640x0.jpg

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
In another episode of bias of consideration, people do this all the time. If you paint something in a sarcastic light it looks bad, if you pay attention to its details with excitement no matter how insignificant it looks better;

0upqxeia.5bp.png

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That Call of Duty synopsis is overinterpretation and overdramatisation, looking for meaning where there is none.

Cross

Arcane
Imho Pillars 1 start is one of the best part of the game along with Raedric's castle
Funny, because I remember being baffled by how banal PoE's intro was. Candlekeep, the Mortuary, Chateau Irenicus, these are distinct locations with ties to the narrative. By contrast, PoE's tutorial area consists of completely generic ruins that could have been in any RPG, and the two characters that join you are such obvious tutorial NPCs that they might as well have been wearing T-shirts saying 'I will soon die in the inciting incident that kickstarts the plot of this game'.

Even something as simple as backtracking to Gorion's body and reading the letter he had on him does a much better job of setting up the stakes than PoE's intro.

I also appreciate BG's intro better on replays. You can exit Candlekeep straight away, whereas PoE's tutorial is relatively long and unskippable.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Please, Irenicus' intro is possibly the most cliché intro ever. Have you played the game in last decade? It literally starts with usual bioware chosen one bullshit talking about your hidden potential and untapped power. Candlekeep is literally a linear road where you talk to monks to learn how to use controls.

Mortuary is p. nice but people are really overselling Candlekeep and Chateau Irenicus.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Mortuary is p. nice but people are really overselling Candlekeep and Chateau Irenicus.

Candlekeep is more focused and a more gradual transition to the Call to Adventure. Even though I hate Campbell's oversimplification and overgeneralisation, it works as a quick reference point. The CtA is Gorion's death in this case, everything else is optional, as you can just go talk to him and leave. The assassins in Candlekeep directly relate to Gorion's death and you being hunted. You can't skip all the drama in the beginning of PoE and much of the action is self-contained. Would something be different story-wise had the natives not attacked the caravan? Would it be different had you not gone through the dungeon? The whole opening could go like this -> bad weather causes the tree to block the path, you stop near a cave, biawac hits and only you manage to survive by being near the cave looking for berries, you go to the other side of the cave and the other biawac hits. Same end result, much more succinct and less filler.

But, like I said, it's fine, it's not storytelling excellence, as it has too much stuff going on that doesn't matter, but whatever, it's not the worst thing in the world.

Last edited:

Cross

Arcane
Please, Irenicus' intro is possibly the most cliché intro ever. Have you played the game in last decade? It literally starts with usual bioware chosen one bullshit talking about your hidden potential and untapped power. Candlekeep is literally a linear road where you talk to monks to learn how to use controls.
The monks in Candlekeep are a clumsy way of doing a tutorial, but they're optional. PoE's tutorial commits the cardinal sin of being long, unskippable, not particularly interesting and, because your companions are scripted to always die, ultimately inconsequential.

Although I like Chateau Irenicus as a whole, I will agree that the first few minutes of BG2 contain possibly the single worst dialogue in the entire game.

Five dialogue responses, all of which express some form of amnesia despite your character not having any kind of amnesia. Amazing. :lol:

4acbwh2.png

Last edited:

Cross

Arcane
Candlekeep is more focused and a more gradual transition to the Call to Adventure.
Candlekeep is the impregnable fortress that the main villain had a hard time infiltrating.
:roll:

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/The_Diary_of_Sarevok

I have decided to take this time to make my visit to Candlekeep. I have waited a long time to research the prophecies of Alaundo, and I must know if the dreams speak the truth. I will not believe the words of phantoms without proof, and the Priest of Bhaal I confronted gave me nothing. He was old and died quickly in my grasp. If the words are true, I shall surely groom stronger acolytes than this.

11th of Ches, 1368: My research has gone well. The monks here at Candlekeep have been quite helpful. From what I have read, it would seem certain that the blood of Bhaal does indeed flow through my veins. His prophecies are (of course) ambiguous, but I think I understand them. He foresaw his coming death, and seeded his essence across the land. The children born as a result bear the marks of chaos, have power with no direction, and shall feel the blood of a god within them. The deaths they bring shall awaken the father, and through them he will rise. It does not explicitly say, but obviously this means that death wrought by the children will cause them to ascend. Fitting, and since the father was the Lord of Murder, proving one's worth must involve an act in accordance with his portfolio. I begin to see what I must do. Death on a god-like scale.

3rd of Tarsahk, 1368: The monk Gorion troubles me. He seems to have taken an interest in my readings. I must be careful to be more clandestine in my research. I wish I could simply kill him, but I doubt I could safely murder him within this damnable library.

11th of Tarsahk, 1368: I had a dream this night. My mother was talking to me, but as she did her face became bloated and discolored. Her voice became weaker as she spoke to me, telling me to save her from Reiltar. I could see the garrote cutting into her neck, but I did nothing. It was only a dream.

27th of Tarsahk, 1368: I take my leave of Candlekeep now, and not a moment too soon, for I am sure that Gorion has perceived my heritage. One thing that I am certain of: <CHARNAME> is, in actuality, one of Bhaal's brood as well. <CHARNAME> has all the markings, and it would explain Gorion's curiosity of my studies. Though there is nothing I can do now, I will have to make certain to return and kill the little brat. It would be foolish of me to let one of my siblings live, especially one being brought up by the Harpers (and I am sure that is where Gorion's allegiances lay).
Sarevok was on his way to Candlekeep, that's why the game starts with Gorion waking you up to leave. BG's writing isn't exactly great, but it's not that bad.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
His point is more how the two assassins entered Candlekeep, not whether Sarevok was there or not. He could've paid/persuaded people that were already in the keep to do that, but it isn't explained.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
How could you doubt sarevok's infiltration skills delterius ? Were you not blown away by the realisation that

Koveras is actually Sarevok backwards !!1!!

Quillon

Arcane
https://eternity.obsidian.net/scavenger

Welcome Seafaring Friends,
Your adventures across the Deadfire region will soon begin, and where they will lead you is anyone's guess. There will be plenty of tough choices to make and challenges ahead. To help you prepare, we've put a scavenger hunt together that will bestow upon you various digital rewards for use during your journey. These can only be unlocked if you are able to hunt down and find the secret codes hidden in all manner of Deadfire assets around the web: in trailers, screenshots, livestreams, at events, and more!

Steps to start your seafaring adventure are simple:
  1. Sign up to take part using Steam account details
  2. Search for hidden codes in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire assets
  3. Once you've found a code, sign in to your Captain's Logbook and enter the code
  4. After you have enough codes entered for each item, your digital reward will be added to your Steam account. There are 10 items to unlock in total.
  5. Once the game launches, your unlocked items will appear in your inventory
Happy Hunting!

m_s0

Arcane
https://eternity.obsidian.net/scavenger

Welcome Seafaring Friends,
Your adventures across the Deadfire region will soon begin, and where they will lead you is anyone's guess. There will be plenty of tough choices to make and challenges ahead. To help you prepare, we've put a scavenger hunt together that will bestow upon you various digital rewards for use during your journey. These can only be unlocked if you are able to hunt down and find the secret codes hidden in all manner of Deadfire assets around the web: in trailers, screenshots, livestreams, at events, and more!

Steps to start your seafaring adventure are simple:
  1. Sign up to take part using Steam account details
  2. Search for hidden codes in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire assets
  3. Once you've found a code, sign in to your Captain's Logbook and enter the code
  4. After you have enough codes entered for each item, your digital reward will be added to your Steam account. There are 10 items to unlock in total.
  5. Once the game launches, your unlocked items will appear in your inventory
Happy Hunting!
Well, that's one way to put it.

Here's a different way:

SCAVENGER HUNT
Legal | April 11, 2018 12:00 AM

OFFICIAL RULES
PLEASE READ THESE OFFICIAL RULES CAREFULLY.

By entering THIS PROMOTION, you agree to accept and be bound by all terms of these Official Rules. IF YOU ARE ACCEPTING THESE TERMS ON BEHALF OF ANOTHER PERSON, YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU HAVE FULL AUTHORITY TO ACT FOR AND TO BIND THAT PERSON TO THESE TERMS.

NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. INTERNET ACCESS, AN OBSIDIAN.NET ACCOUNT, and a STEAM® SUBSCRIBER ACCOUNT CONNECTION ARE REQUIRED. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.

1. SPONSOR AND PROMOTION ENTITIES. This Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Scavenger Hunt (this “Promotion”) is sponsored by Versus Evil LLC, P.O. Box 482 Phoenix, MD 21131 (the “Sponsor”). “Promotion Entities” include all Sponsor employees, officers, directors, agents, representatives, developers and licensors and subcontractors, of the Sponsor, and all legal, promotion, and/or advertising agencies and third parties of the aforementioned entities.
  2. ACCEPTANCE OF THE OFFICIAL RULES REQUIRED. This Promotion is subject to these Official Rules. By participating in this Promotion, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. By participating, you agree to waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Promotion or these Official Rules, except where prohibited by law. By accepting a Reward (as defined below), you agree to release the Promotion Entities, including any person or entity associated with the production, judging, or administration of the Promotion from any and all liability, loss or damage arising from or in connection with awarding Rewards, receipt and/or use or misuse of a Reward, or participation in any Reward-related activities.
  3. ELIGIBILITY. This Promotion is void where prohibited by law. Each eligible person who participates in the Promotion is an “Entrant”. You agree that this Promotion is open to those who are at least the age of majority in the country in which they reside, provided that all eligible Entrants, have Internet access during the Promotion Period, and provide a link to their Steam® Subscriber Account for the purpose of administering Rewards.
  4. INELIGIBILITY. This Promotion is subject to all applicable country, state, and local laws and void where prohibited. Promotion Entities including their immediate family members (defined as spouse, mother, father, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, grandparents and in-laws, regardless of where they live) and those living in their household (whether or not related), and each person or entity connected with the production or administration of the Promotion or Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire’s production or development are not eligible.
  5. TIMING: The Promotion begins on April 11, 2018, at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time(“PT”) and ends on November 30, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. PT (the “Promotion Submission Period”).

ALL CLUE ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED DURING THE PROMOTION SUBMISSION PERIOD. ENTRANTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DETERMINING THE APPLICABLE PROMOTION ENTRY TIMES IN THEIR RESPECTIVE TIME ZONES.
  6. HOW TO ENTER. To enter, during the Promotion Period each eligible Entrant need to go to the official Pillars of Eternity II Scavenger Hunt website, which is located at www.deadfirescavenger.com (the “Pillars II Scavenger Website”) and register for the Promotion. Registration requires that each Entrant either log in with their Obsidian.net account or create a new account. Once logged in, each Entrant is required to connect to their Steam Subscriber Account (for the purpose of distributing awards only). At the completion of the registration process, an account will be automatically established for each Entrant (each an “Entrant Account”).
  7. FINDING CODES / HOW TO WIN. Prior to the start of the Promotion, the Sponsor has hidden numerous 6-digit alphanumeric codes in various Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire magazine articles and advertisements, Internet publications and advertisements, marketing materials, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire art assets, screenshots, magazine cover art, livestreams, trade show handouts, and other visual and audio mediums (“Codes”). Entrants must find Codes and unlock rewards as discussed below.
  8. UNLOCKING REWARDS. FINDING AND ENTERING CODES DOES NOT GUARANTEE A REWARD. When an Entrant discovers a Code, they must sign in to their account and enter that 6-digit Code in their logbook page, which will track and unlock Rewards automatically when the correct number of accepted Codes are entered (as provided in the paragraph below). Once an Entrant has fully unlocked a Reward by providing all necessary Codes, that Reward will automatically appear in their Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire game inventory on Steam® on the game’s official launch day. As Entrants discover more Codes, they must return to the Pillars II Scavenger Website, log in to their account, and enter the new 6-digit Codes to unlock more digital reward items. Each 6-digit Code can only be redeemed once. If a Code is invalid, the Entrant will be notified upon submission. In addition to entering all required to unlock each digital Reward, each potential Reward winner must meet all eligibility requirements of this Promotion, including the execution and delivery of all necessary releases.
  9. DISQUALIFICATION AND CANCELLATION. In the event a potential Reward winner does not meet all eligibility requirements or return signed any necessary documents within 3 business days of the request for the same by the Sponsor, then the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify the potential Reward winner and nullify any or all associated Rewards. False or deceptive entries or acts, as determined by Sponsor, will render the Entrant ineligible. The Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or modify the Promotion should any computer virus, malfunction or other cause beyond their control corrupt the administration, security or proper operation of the Promotion. Each potential winner may be required to provide the Sponsor with proof that he/she is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the winning entry. No automated entries accepted.
  10. REWARDS. “Rewards” include a maximum of 10 digital in-game items. All costs, taxes, fees, and expenses associated with any element of any Reward are the sole responsibility of the respective winner. The reporting and payment of any tax liabilities incurred by a winning Entrant as a result of this Promotion and any Reward won are the sole responsibility of the Entrant. No substitution or transfer of prize, reward, or cash redemptions is permitted. The Promotion Entities reserve the right to substitute a Reward for a prize of like value in the event the described Rewards, or any portion thereof, are unavailable for any reason. Only 10 Rewards in total are available to each Entrant, provided that the number of 6-digit Codes required to unlock each is redeemed properly. Rewards will only be activated once Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire launches publicly. Entry does not guarantee that any Rewards will be earned.
  11. GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS. By entering this Promotion, you grant the Promotion Entities the right, unless prohibited by law, to use your name, voice, picture, and likeness, without further authorization or compensation, for the purpose of advertising and publicizing the goods and services of the Sponsor and all matters related to the Promotion in any manner or medium, through the world in perpetuity. Reward winners may be required to sign and execute affidavits of eligibility, tax acknowledgment forms, liability releases, and except where prohibited by law, name and likeness releases.

Neither the Sponsor or Promotion Entities are responsible for technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, Internet loss, hacking, lost or unavailable network connections, failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions, or other errors or problems which may limit an Entrant’s ability to participate in the Promotion.

The Promotion Entities expressly disclaim any responsibility or liability for injury or loss to any person or property relating to the delivery and/or subsequent use of a Reward. In the event more Rewards are awarded than the actual number of Rewards authorized due to computer, printing, seeding, human, or other error or problem, a random drawing will take place from all eligible Entrants for the Reward at issue. In the event of sabotage, acts of God, computer virus or other events or causes beyond the Promotion Entities’ reasonable control, which results in the corruption or loss of integrity, administration, security or proper operation of the Promotion, the Promotion Entities reserve the right to cancel or suspend the Promotion. In the event of cancellation, prizes will be awarded from among all eligible, non-suspect Entrants received prior to the event requiring such cancellation.

The Sponsor may prohibit an Entrant from participating in the Promotion or earning a Reward if, in its sole discretion, it determines such Entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion in any way by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair practices, or for the purpose of annoying, abusing, threatening, or harassing any other Entrant, the Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire game player, the Sponsor, or any Sponsor representatives or third parties. Use of automated entry devices or programs is prohibited. Any attempt to access an Entrant Account, the Pillars II Scavenger Website, any software or resource used in the Promotion, or entering the Promotion or increasing the likelihood of earning a Reward via a bot script, device, or brute-force attack will result in disqualification. Any attempt to deliberately damage or undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion may also be in violation of criminal and civil laws and will result in disqualification from participation in the Promotion. Should any such attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek remedies and damages (including attorney fees) to the fullest extent of the law, including criminal prosecution.

All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of any Entrant, the Sponsor, or any Promotion Entity shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than California. In any action brought to enforce the obligation or right of any party hereunder, Entrants consent to personal jurisdiction and venue in any court of appropriate jurisdiction in San Mateo County, California, USA. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Official Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.

No substitution, transfer, or cash redemption of a Reward is allowed, provided further that the Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a reward with another prize of equal or greater value should the advertised Reward become unavailable for any reason. If a Reward is awarded but goes unclaimed or is forfeited by recipient, the prize will be forfeited.

Nothing in these Official Rules shall be deemed to exclude or restrict any Entrant’s statutory rights as a consumer. Participation in the Promotion implies authorization to collect, use, and disclose the Entrant’s personal information including the right to transfer personal data to the United States for purposes of administration of the Promotion and Reward fulfillment. All information submitted to the Sponsor as part of this Promotion will be treated in accordance with Versus Evil’s privacy policy, available at http://www.versusevilstudio.co.... Personal information includes name, address, email address, birthday, country of residence, and will be used to contact Entrants for the purpose of Promotion administration. All Entrants have the right to access, withdraw, and correct their personal data by contacting Versus Evil LLC at PillarsIIPromotion@vsevil.net.
  12. OFFICIAL RULES AND WINNERS LIST. For a copy of these Official Rules and/or the list of Rewards or Clue locations, please request in a self-addressed, stamped envelope (WA and VT residents need not affix return postage) to: Versus Evil LLC, P.O. Box 482 Phoenix, MD 21131. Your request must be received within 90 days of the end of the Promotion.
© 2018 Versus Evil LLC. Versus Evil® is a Registered Trademark of Versus Evil LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Steam® Steam is a trademark and/or registered trademarks of Valve Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries. All rights reserved.

I guess this is what happens when lawyers get fucking bored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom