Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
So any of you beta owners cares to do a not so short preview of the game so far for the rest of us plebs?

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane
Is anybody playing this while also having played the Tabletop module? I'm very curious about how the two compare but have no access to the Beta.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't hate what I'm seeing, though the beginning looks to be extremely boring with you fighting against the most trivial kind of mooks while navigating linear corridors. Apart from the "tutorial", my complaints are that some of the UI elements are lifted from BG / the IE games, which I find to be a bit jarring. Just because it's an RTwP RPG doesn't mean that it needs to advertise that it's a BG derivative. Especially if the game turns out to be less-than-mediocre then the player will constantly be reminded of the existence of better games while playing Kingmaker, but even if it's good I'd still rather not be reminded of another game when I'm trying to enjoy something that should be new and its own thing. The devs need to have more confidence in their own vision.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is there the need for grind in this game?
As far as I can tell, no.

It's just that the game allows you to explore and that means you might end up in an area for which you are underlevel. For example, quite a short distance from your main base, there's a map called the Great Oak or something like that. If you don't play strictly on rails and explore on your own you might just wind up there at level 2 at which point a troll will wipe the floor with you.

Same thing on a map where I was attacked by a Water Elemental (which looks like a bear - I think not all models are in yet). Even in a dungeon which was fairly easy with the standard giant insects there's a simple puzzle to unlock a door and I got wrecked by Undead Champions.

Personally, I consider this to be :incline: . There's 0 satisfaction to be had in exploring if you can go anywhere and kill anything the moment you get there, it makes me feel like I'm just checking boxes.
Definitely an incline,really miss the feeling of getting your ass handled by hand placed enemy and the coming back 5 levels later and wiping them out.Hope that there is no level scaling.

Can you also run away from combat or are you stuck on the map until you kill everything?

Also, no racial traits during character creation makes me sad.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is there the need for grind in this game?
As far as I can tell, no.

It's just that the game allows you to explore and that means you might end up in an area for which you are underlevel. For example, quite a short distance from your main base, there's a map called the Great Oak or something like that. If you don't play strictly on rails and explore on your own you might just wind up there at level 2 at which point a troll will wipe the floor with you.

Same thing on a map where I was attacked by a Water Elemental (which looks like a bear - I think not all models are in yet). Even in a dungeon which was fairly easy with the standard giant insects there's a simple puzzle to unlock a door and I got wrecked by Undead Champions.

Personally, I consider this to be :incline: . There's 0 satisfaction to be had in exploring if you can go anywhere and kill anything the moment you get there, it makes me feel like I'm just checking boxes.
That sounds like that ogre south of Friendly Arms Inn that you can run into as lvl 1 and get one shot :)

Hopefully kiting tactics can also work in PF:KM

Xeon

Augur
Will be kinda cool to add the shadow looking one where some of the NPCs have for the player as well. Also I hope they add the none voice set for character like most games. I hope they make some of the options in the character creation that can't be chosen to be clickable and then told the requirement for them.

Pretty nice, they added some of the better things from PoE, Tyranny and Conquistador I think. There doesn't seem to be negative modifiers from getting downed I think tho, the MC when he was downed during the fight with the wolves he got up after but when he was downed during the bandits, it got similar to BGs, not sure what is up with that. Also there doesn't seem to be any cooldowns to drinking potions, wonder if you could also use from the inventory or put it in quick access for individuals during combat or something.

I don't quite understand the racial bonus, I always thought that meant its what all individuals of that race share in common or something, I guess I was wrong.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Will be kinda cool to add the shadow looking one where some of the NPCs have for the player as well. Also I hope they add the none voice set for character like most games. I hope they make some of the options in the character creation that can't be chosen to be clickable and then told the requirement for them.

Pretty nice, they added some of the better things from PoE, Tyranny and Conquistador I think. There doesn't seem to be negative modifiers from getting downed I think tho, the MC when he was downed during the fight with the wolves he got up after but when he was downed during the bandits, it got similar to BGs, not sure what is up with that. Also there doesn't seem to be any cooldowns to drinking potions, wonder if you could also use from the inventory or put it in quick access for individuals during combat or something.

I don't quite understand the racial bonus, I always thought that meant its what all individuals of that race share in common or something, I guess I was wrong.
Characters when they go down their health goes into negative points. Have enough of those and you die but otherwise you can get healed and get up. BG didn't have such system.

Racial bonus is what each race considered its closest profession. So if you are using a class that your current race prefers you get a bonus. Certain races like Humans or Half Elves can choose any class to get that bonus with.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Honestly I find that barbarian holding that huge sword far more ridiculous than the shield.

It's a weeb thing, for some reason Japs are enamoured with the concept of giant slabs of metal acting as bona fide swords

latest

That has more to do with real life guys like Miyamoto Musashi. That dude was a certified badass. Killed his first samurai in a duel at 13, and in the last duel he had at age 30, he beat the guy to death with an oar. And that was because his opponent was known for using a longsword so he needed something with reach.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly I find that barbarian holding that huge sword far more ridiculous than the shield.

It's a weeb thing, for some reason Japs are enamoured with the concept of giant slabs of metal acting as bona fide swords

That has more to do with real life guys like Miyamoto Musashi. That dude was a certified badass. Killed his first samurai in a duel at 13, and in the last duel he had at age 30, he beat the guy to death with an oar. And that was because his opponent was known for using a longsword so he needed something with reach.

A nodachi is ridiculously long, but it’s also fairly thin for its length. Nothing like the big fat metal slabs you see in Berserk or Final Fantasy. Not sure how the Japanese used their super long swords, but the Chinese had something similar that was a dedicated anti-cavalry weapon designed to cut a horse’s legs off.

Nodachi:

5182891245319b5678d2c66f4c465c29.png

Pretty sure the anime preference for huge, thick swords is less about the duel at Ganryu Island and more something Freudian. That or the giant slabs of metal are their approximation of a big ass western sword.

sstacks

Arcane
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Beta #4 - Oleg's Trading Post

We find Oleg's Trading Post with the Stag Lord's thugs already there giving Oleg and his sweet dove Svetlana a hard time... so we smack them around like the brutal heroes we are. Preparations for the inevitable retaliation (cue "A-Team" theme). First round of leveling up.

sstacks

Arcane
p.s. if ONE party member is encumbered, everyone walks slow even if you are just trying to walk around with an unencumbered party member. Perhaps this is the bug I hear tales of.

M. AQVILA

Arcane

A nodachi is ridiculously long, but it’s also fairly thin for its length. Nothing like the big fat metal slabs you see in Berserk or Final Fantasy. Not sure how the Japanese used their super long swords, but the Chinese had something similar that was a dedicated anti-cavalry weapon designed to cut a horse’s legs off.

Nodachi:

5182891245319b5678d2c66f4c465c29.png

Pretty sure the anime preference for huge, thick swords is less about the duel at Ganryu Island and more something Freudian. That or the giant slabs of metal are their approximation of a big ass western sword.

It's the Japanese equivalent to the Zweihander then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom