Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ultra conservative agenda... Jesus. For being historically correct.

Paul_cz

Arcane
u023entc48q01.jpg

What a fucking moron. Jeez this level of idiocy is almost impressive.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
What a Sillygoose that 'journalist' is. And by that I mean total and irredeemable waste of oxygen. What a waste of paper on which his brain farts were written. The paper could have been put to much better use. Like if all that was written on it had been 'David Wildgoose loves to be choked by wild ganders' dicks ' the worth of it would increase ten fold plus it would much better describe the game.

In RPG terms reading his review should make you regret ever improving your reading skill. Between illiteracy and brain tumor not being able to read but having extra skill points to put in alcohol resistance is an obvious choice. You'd need that resistance after reading this piece anyway.

Now on more serious note of course he should be able to write everything he wants but he and his ideological ilk help me sometimes to see few good sides of censorship. And censorship has no good sides btw. Had we not been slowly conditioned to regard it as something normal this level of ideologically driven writing in article about video games in quite mainstream outlet would have been astounding. These 'news outlets' are more infested with SJW then Bohemian street whore with venereal diseases.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
But they also simplify events and brush any complications under the carpet, painting issues of national identity in black and white... in the process delivering political message that's as fantastical as RPG tropes it seeks to reject
What national identity? That was solved before year 998 when they stopped fighting with moravians.

The old central Europe politic was complex stuff like:
The whole situation was really hurting bavarian and franks nerves, with every silliness that happened either czechs or moravians arrived with complains that other side is looting them, it was irritating. Then there were things like moravians sending south axe horse riders to loot czech western neighbours, czech western speaking neighbours send north axe horse riders to loot moravians. (Which ensured axe horse riders learned how to access these juicy parts and were pain for few hundred years.)

Vv5apDp.png

A simple map of simple stuff like czech/moravian politics.

kbCkjf3.jpg

A map of inter relations between important characters in politics.
RB5ZPBO.jpg

Zoomed in image looks roughly like this.
Of course that's only czech, moravian, bavarian, and frank politic before year 890.

Frankly czech statesmanship happened much sooner in year 806 when they reached agreement with Pipin. (And year before, from when there is documented they: "byli drzí jako opice" *1, and were put under weapon import embargo as a consequence. Dunno if the embargo was lifted, or they were forced to learn how to do quality sword making and the embargo created base for czech iron industry.)

Society stayed mostly the same after small irrelevant struggle between Zikmund and his brother. The only small problem was population seen that Charles IV tried to economically improve country, and wanted to continue the politic. Zikmund wanted something else, and his brother didn't know how to do economic policy. When Zikmund did activities during Vaclav rule to basically deprive him of his throne he pissed everyone off, and when he wasn't willing to force apology for burning Hus...

*1 That's indisputable proof czech were living in these lands. Only czechs and gypsies can cause war by that.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
If you click those videos after seeing the preview image you are part of the problem
Admittedly, the thumbnails are very unfortunate. The video itself is fine though and I found it informative, because in the previous one I did find it suspect why she had such a low framerate.

Anyway, here is a video with better thumbnail, a documentary about the launch of the game shot by some czech game journos, found it interesting to watch

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Don't click on random videos.

You click on this video, and get spoilers for SMT I. BTW that song fits SMT I amazingly well. (Imagine SMT I remake in Skyrim or GTA V like graphics with free movement like in Skyrim and GTA V.)

Paul_cz

Arcane
Reading the Divinity article, ouch. It shipped with 7000 known bugs. That has to be even more than KCD had :D

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Still runs like ass IIRC. Considering they also have DLC planned so I'd wait for all that to come out too.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dan Vavra will do a retrospective talk at upcoming game conference in Croatia: http://www.rebootdevelop.hr/RebootDevelop2018_Schedule_prefinal.pdf

Friday, 20th of April - 16:00-17:00
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: Post Mortem (Design)

Dan Vavra, Warhorse Studios

Unfortunately they don't stream the event or make any videos (or they do but don't make them public). He had a talk at the conference last year too and I was trying to get my hands on a video but alas, no luck.

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Dan Vavra will do a retrospective talk at upcoming game conference in Croatia: http://www.rebootdevelop.hr/RebootDevelop2018_Schedule_prefinal.pdf

Friday, 20th of April - 16:00-17:00
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: Post Mortem (Design)

Dan Vavra, Warhorse Studios

Unfortunately they don't stream the event or make any videos (or they do but don't make them public). He had a talk at the conference last year too and I was trying to get my hands on a video but alas, no luck.

On their youtube channel are few videos (Tim Cain) but yeah I am not super optimistic about being able to see this.

Dexter

Arcane
Ok guys, another check. How is 1.4? Should I start playing or wait?
They fixed some of the final remaining major Bugs and Crash issues that people were constantly reporting with 1.4.2 yesterday:
Release Notes for version 1.4.2
9 APRIL - MARTIN.KLIMA
Fixed issues:
  • A major bug that crashed the game at various places has been fixed.
  • Quests notably affected by this bug include Sport of kings, Pestilence, Questions and Answers.
  • Fixed issue with missing Erik in the quest The Die is Cast.
  • Other minor bugfixes.

Known issues:
  • [Rare] You can lock on a non-existing opponent.
  • [Rare] Attacking stops working.
  • [Rare] Random character spins while blocking.
  • Player with an equipped bow cannot be dismounted.
Although as other people have said, there's still Quality of Life and Optimization issues, whether they're actually working on that or moved on to the promised "DLC" (Free for Backers) around the Dog Companion/"Female Sidequest"/Tournament Mode is anyone's guess.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Finally finished it, something over 100 hours. Is it just me or are RPGs getting way too long these days? Maybe it's just me.

-Overall a fun game but I felt like it was needlessly complicated. Almost everything took 2 or 3 more steps than it really needed. I get the whole point of having a cobbler and a tailor for ye olde medieval faire LARPing, but are you really going to waste my time by making me go to 4 different shops to get all my gear repaired? Was that really necessary?

-The survival aspects were clearly toned down to the point of obsolescence. I never bought or hunted for food, survived entirely off of free stew pots everywhere, and sleep was rarely a factor.

-Game had the old problem where you do too many sidequests and you end up overleveled for the main plot. I blame the quest design for this since every sidequest seems to send you running all around... well, kingdom come and back. This leads to more sidequests (since you might as well pick them all up when you visit a town) and then your quest list is a mile long, gotta tick off all the boxes. Next thing you know you have 40,000 groschen, all the top tier gear, you're a master of all weapons, and yet the story characters still treat you like a greenhorn novice rookie. *sigh*

-Like most people I felt the combat went from hard to easy really quickly with little in between. Still I don't mind curbstomping weak foes at a high level but I wish the combat system was better designed. The combos were ultimately worthless, risk getting parried 4 times for a free hit when you can do the same thing with a clinch with zero risk. Bad design. If I could make one change to the combat it would be to make the combos into hotkeys. You'd still get parried constantly but they wouldn't feel like such a bad investment.

-I did like how the enemies flee from you when hurt, that makes sense, what bandit is going to fight to the death? I wish there were more ways to actively intimidate foes mid-combat like boasts or taunts.

-Sidequests were all over the place in terms of quality. I really liked the quest where the miller has a cuman prisoner he wants you to interrogate (I also liked how all the millers were shady as hell, since I'm descended from German millers). You find a guy who "swears in Hungarian" and ask him if he can translate for you. He interrogates the prisoner and he says he will lead you to his loot. You can tell the miller or go yourself, I went alone. He lead me to an ambush--I should have expected that. Killed all the cumans and found the prisoner cowering the bushes. He offered to lead me to the real treasure but I decided not to push my greed anymore and turned him in for a bounty instead. The miller got pissed but oh well.

That was a really nice little quest, it had some choices, it made sense to me, and had a mix of activities. It was also pointless in the long run and had no association with the rest of the game, but oh well.

Then you have stuff like brother Nicodemus asking you to weed his garden. That's it, just weed the garden. Then he gives you some pitiful 10 groschen reward, but only after you wait for him to sloooooooooowly walk over and inspect your work. The weeding is tricky because the plants sway around and if you pick the wrong one you actually pick up all 10 of them in a radius.

That quest was, to put it mildly, toxic cancerous faggotry. I don't even know why I did it. With shitty quest XP, in KCD the only reason to do most quests is the money rewards. But quests are the *worst* way in the game to earn money. One day of bandit killing or poaching makes you far more cash.

-Finally, the story:

KCD's story fits into roughly 3 acts. If I had a magic crystal ball or could take LSD to get into the mind of Daniel Vavra, I would guess that only act 1 had a clear sequence of events planned out. The other 2 acts were just a series of story beats thrown together with no clear plot. "We have to have a monastery section, and a siege, and a part where the player gets bumped on the head and loses his stuff." Okay.

Act 1 is good. Henry swears service to Radzig, joins the guard, gets into trouble, investigates some bandits, unearths a larger force hiding in the woods, scouts their camp, fights a big battle, and gets revenge on the guy who beat him in the prologue. Cool. This honestly could have been the whole game and it would have been fine.

Act 2 drags. You investigate to investigate to investigate so you can investigate. I did like how the game does the Wing Commander thing, where you can fail main story quests and still finish the game. however to achieve this they made many of these quests pointless. You do all this investigating to find the counterfeiters, and then you have to do another round of investigating to gain access to Vranik. Wouldn't the counterfeiters have this access? Why are we investigating so much? With the counterfeiters, I received all three different leads to follow to find them, then randomly stumbled into their cave by complete accident and skipped most of the quest. Yay I guess? I did like the german knight guy (Urlich?) I re did the quest so I could get him to help me, but I roused him from bed to join the battle and he didn't get dressed, so he assaulted the camp in his underwear. I managed to convince him to stand down and offer service to Radzig but he disappeared for the rest of the game, so it was pointless. Opportunity lost. Seems like it would have been easy to throw him into the final battle but oh well.

Like many people I found the monastery a source of frustration. The worse part about it to me was it was optional. If you fuckup so bad they kick you out, you go back to the bandits, they attack you, and then you get a die off their corpse that lets you into Vranik anyway. But if you complete the whole monastery the right way, find Pious, get him out, and capture him, he still doesn't get you the item and you still have to kill the bandits. So success is no different from failure, except success gets you the "fun" of the monastery.

If you think about it, the monastery is the closest the game has to a dungeon; it's full of danger and loot, but not combat, only stealth. I didn't mind the stealth aspects of the game but I hated how stealth takedowns would randomly just fail. I didn't see any rhyme or reason to it, even with a stealth rating of 15+ I was still failing to choke out or kill people a large number of times. I don't see why they would make stealth so unreliable since they clearly expect it to be superior to fighting, but in most cases of the game fighting is far easier than stealth.

Once you get to Vranik you get the old bump on your head and lose your stuff part. It's dumb how the guy who rescues you tells you to forget your stuff, it's gone, when it's in a chest right next door guarded by one guy. There are also 2 chests outside the prison with gear that is sufficient to fight and get your stuff back. What player is going to leave all his gear behind? Madness.

After that you get another pitched battle and then the *twist* IT WAS ALL PART OF THE VILLAIN'S PLAN!

Wait, what? The bad guy actually planned to lose 2 forts, have 2 lieutenants killed or captured, lose dozens of men, lose piles of equipment and supplies, and have his whole counterfeiting operation exposed? That's a terrible fucking plan.

The phrase "it's all going according to plan" needs to be retired from fiction. It's not only cliche as fuck, its insulting to anyone with more than a third-grade intelligence level. I'd be way more impressed if the villain complained that his plans were being thwarted but admitted he still had a trump card to play. That wouldn't affect the outcome of the story at all but at least he wouldn't seem like such an idiot.

Act 3 is war and siege. Apparently the villain lured you to Vranik so he could take Talmberg castle. Nevermind that his forces were going from Vranik to Talmberg while Divish is going from Talmberg to Vranik. How did they miss each other exactly? You can SEE Talmberg from Vranik, for heaven's sake.

It's also hard to imagine this as a good trade. Taking Talmberg does the bad guy little good with a hostile army in the field; all he can do is wait for reinforcements (which is what happens). But with control of the countryside Divish is easily able to ambush and defeat the reinforcements, leaving the villain with no choice but to trade a hostage for his life. That part makes sense but I fail to see how this guy was some kind of cunning strategist or opponent. Surely it would have been better to join up with your reinforcements and use your combined power to defeat Divish and Radzig's armies, thus gaining control over the surrounding territory AND the castle. Dumbass.

I didn't mind that he got away or that he kept the sword, but it would have been nice if the player at least had the chance to potentially catch him. The epilogue was dumb though, everyone just sits down and has this big HistoryDump. It was interesting and everything but I kept thinking, shouldn't this stuff have been brought up more during the actual game? It's like the developers couldn't figure out how to incorporate all this stuff into the story, so instead they just go "While you were running around the woods here's all the important historical stuff that happened somewhere else." Gee, wouldn't it be cool if someone made a historical RPG that put the player into the story of Sigismund's war and invasion of Bohemia, and all the political scheming and maneuvering of Wenceslas's court? Wouldn't that be a neat game? Someone should do that!

Overall a fun game just pretty rough. I'd definitely play a sequel but probably not bother with any DLC unless they add some substantial content to the leveling or combat systems. Not much point to playing more fights if everything dies from one poke to the head.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom