Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
You don't need coat of arms, muslim portraits, music packs, eboks and other stuff

Morkar Left

Just clicking to all these dlcs to see what I might like or not let me already decide to not even ry the game, free or not.

Ocelot

Learned
Got it for free but having to go through it's DLC to find out what should I add to get the actually complete game is downright depressive. Charging for expansion packs that were developed after the base game's release is understandable but trying to sell things like "trim your ruler's hair" or "dynasty shield pack" is a disgrace for a company as good as Paradox. On top of that, all expansions are extremely overpriced and hardly worth it even on the current -50% discount.

I just wanted to play the ASOIAF mod and maybe some Byzantium as well.

So what happens if I just play it "as is," without bothering with any of the DLC?

It depends a lot on who you want to play as. If you want to play as a Catholic European guy, you will still be fine. but if you want to play as a Muslim guy, you should get Sword of Islam or if you want to play as the Byzantium, you should get Legacy of Rome etc. Some mods (e.g: ASOIAF mod) hardly need any DLCs/expansions to be good. The only universally good DLC that will definitely improve all of your playthoughs is the "A way of life".

spectre

Arcane
So what happens if I just play it "as is," without bothering with any of the DLC?
Vanilla is plagued by long periods in which fuck all happens and you just go fast forward. It's playable, you can map paint well enough, but I remember thinking to myself - what the fuck am I doing here?
The game needs at least Way of Life and Reaper's Due to feel fleshed out. Maybe Monks and Mystics and Conclave.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I used to play this cracked and I ended up turning off most of the DLCs anyway, didn't like the added mechanics the DLCs added, but then again I didn't play it extensively. Maybe after you're bored with the Christian Europes and the base mechanics, sure, get the DLCs.

Also the Indian stuff is pretty gay.

Ocelot

Learned
Vanilla is plagued by long periods in which fuck all happens and you just go fast forward. It's playable, you can map paint well enough, but I remember thinking to myself - what the fuck am I doing here?
The game needs at least Way of Life and Reaper's Due to feel fleshed out. Maybe Monks and Mystics and Conclave.

A Way of Life should have been part of the base game. It feels like Paradox has stripped away very basic things from the game to sell them as DLCs.

zool

Arcane
I'm completely ignorant of the CK2 modding scene : what are the best mods and which DLCs do they require?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I'm completely ignorant of the CK2 modding scene : what are the best mods and which DLCs do they require?

Really depends on what you want. More historical immersion, Warhammer, Game of Thrones, Tamriel, ...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Then you gotta go with the Historical Immersion Project, although it gets a bit too spergy and bloaty for my tastes.
Also, a little bird told me that the DLCs don't really have any DRM so you can acquire them, add some cream and get the full experience without giving 200+ bucks to SWEDEN YES: The company.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
'Remove from inventory' would be the proper term. I hate the new codex.

I also hate paradox. And for some reason I can't stop playing CK2 and buying new DLC. I'm weak.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
'Remove from inventory' would be the proper term. I hate the new codex.

I also hate paradox. And for some reason I can't stop playing CK2 and buying new DLC. I'm weak.

62KjoWR.jpg

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Finally! After all these years I get keys to Paradox's modding forums and can rate all posts about nice stuff players did as devil worshipers as informative.

Ocelot

Learned
Finally! After all these years I get keys to Paradox's modding forums and can rate all posts about nice stuff players did as devil worshipers as informative.

I wonder how this influx of new players will affect the forums. It can't be THAT bad, right?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Back then most games were not worth not removing from inventory, so forgive my mistake.

Its pretty much defacto a demo, most of the cash they make is from DLCs and I bet having to buy all those expensive DLCs + the game itself stops a lot of people from buying it.

CKII is getting long in the tooth, althrough its the best it has been, its getting close to the time to pull the curtains on it. 'sides, a Crusader Kings II Ultimate Edition with all the DLCs and a good price tag would be pretty popular, and is probably coming at 2019/2020 or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom