Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
Well they could've go different routes:
1) You're a follower of a watcher from POE1 ( you're some dude from cad nue)
2) You're opposed to watcher because he went nuts/corrupted. Or seemingly corrupted (ye old bigger threat route). Or just wronged you/ fucked up your village.
3) Watcher actually died and you're reincarnation ( some god revived you for some reason)
4) You're half dead and you need to consume souls to not decay ( vampir lore from poe/nwn2 route)
5) You're brother/sister of wathcer
6) You're thaos reincarnated but without memories

Edit: 7) You were killed by watcher from POE1 ( one of the million bandits/knights etc depending on C&C) so you lost memories etc ( ye old blank state hero) and you're off to find him to take back your part of soul/ask questions. Depending on C&C from POE watcher will have party composition/class/race etc and alliances ( basically trash-mobs as usual) but that's sure sounds costly.

Last edited:
imagine if you are level 19 wizard fighting level scaled, color coded xaurips with different color of magic missiles
Fixed
and that is exactly what PE2 will be.
Spellcasting is heavily neutered due to Josh design philosophy.

A lv19 mage in BG2 could literally stop time and bend reality.

in PoE 2, expect Fireball VI cause muh balance and popamole casting.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
The love for my person in this thread is overwhelming, I'm so joyous. The problem is not that I'm secretly closeted in my love for PoE, it really is dogshit in most categories, the problem is that I see potential. Well, not anymore with the current state of the beta, but you get what I mean. Those assertions are just a defense mechanism because you want it to be good and any evidence to the contrary must mean that that someone is trying to keep his "street cred". Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble, but this game isn't going to be BG2, or close, even as declined as the BG saga was. Even if every accusation thrown at me is true, it won't change that fact.

That's just your opinion dude :)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hmmm I don't think you're right about this. The number of casts per spell level is very low (only 2) and depending on the class you have like 4-6 spells to chose from per spell level. So basically it forces you to prioritize and pick the right spell for every situation to make there most out of your limited casts. It's one of the things I like about the combat compared to PoE1.

Melee is different but these characters can more easily be managed via the AI instruction system.
So the resource management is to choose which two spells to cast every fight, before they get refreshed and available the next fight?

I'd much rather prefer the overall lower maintenance party of the IE games where 1-2 characters are high maintenance, and the resource management is more complex. Choose which spells to cast and which to conserve, or if you should cast at all, vs "Oh, here's combat, let's cast these two spells. Oh, here's another combat, this time the enemy has different vulnerable defences, so which spells should I cast now... hmm.... maybe the ones that match his vulnerable defences. Gosh, I'm so smart"

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, it's true that I don't have low standards, so maybe it is just my unfounded opinion. Even though I've given sufficient arguments to the contrary, but whatever.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
In case you haven't noticed ruzen, it is extremely hard - extremely hard - for people here to talk about poe while holding on their street cred. So they either straight out continuously shitpost, or they engage in actual conversations and autistic debates and whatnot but regularly remind any reader that poe is dogshit.
It is extremely hard for people here to talk about PoE without saying it is shit because it was conceived in one of the worst developer betrayals in cRPG history, the mechanics are poorly thought, the classes are shallow, they are uglyfing the characters on purpose. Obsidian represents everything that is wrong with developers today: they are filled with SJWs and minority pandering, disrespect for the games that they are supposedly drawing inspiration from, etc. Continuously shitposting, and dishonest fanboysm, is pretending that the game is worth any autistic debate about mechanics in the first place, instead of the obvious truth that they ignore all the feedback regarding the first game.

Thonius

Arcane
In case you haven't noticed ruzen, it is extremely hard - extremely hard - for people here to talk about poe while holding on their street cred. So they either straight out continuously shitpost, or they engage in actual conversations and autistic debates and whatnot but regularly remind any reader that poe is dogshit.
It is extremely hard for people here to talk about PoE without saying it is shit because it was conceived in one of the worst developer betrayals in cRPG history, the mechanics are poorly thought, the classes are shallow, they are uglyfing the characters on purpose. Obsidian represents everything that is wrong with developers today: they are filled with SJWs and minority pandering, disrespect for the games that they are supposedly drawing inspiration from, etc. Continuously shitposting, and dishonest fanboysm, is pretending that the game is worth any autistic debate about mechanics in the first place, instead of the obvious truth that they ignore all the feedback regarding the first game.
Yeah, but what you gonna do....

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Basically you only gave three criticisms, which are all dogshit criticism in this unnecessarily long paragraph. Mechanics are not poorly thought out they are overwrought, classes are not shallow at all they are streamlined and whatever retardation you are spewing about "sjws" or "minorities" is irrelevant. PoE might be garbage on many fronts but your opinions are even worse.

The Bishop

Cipher
Wonder what the reason for starting at level 1 be in the third game.
Watcher hit his head on a rock while skiing in the mountains around Durgan Battery. He did wear a helmet, but alas - helmets give no protective bonuses in PoE. In an ultimate effort Watcher manages to use soul powers to collect pieces of his scrambled brain together, losing all previous skills, but gaining new awesome powers of retardation. Is it a blessing, or is it a curse? And thus begins a new adventure - to find out who did this to you, the ultimate villain, creator of all rocks.

Mechanics are not poorly thought out they are overwrought
Mechanics are overwrought with details that nobody cares and makes the gameplay a chore, to the detriment of the details that we really care. In other words, they are poorly thought.

classes are not shallow at all they are streamlined
Being streamlined is being shallow.

and whatever retardation you are spewing about “sjws” or “minorities” is irrelevant.
It is not irrelevant because they will hire unqualified people to fill quotas, make the game worse motivated by agendas, including pandering to players whims and uglifying characters.

PoE might be garbage on many fronts but your opinions are even worse.
Delusional retarded.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am happy that character starts from level 1, what I dislike is the contrived connection to first game and first character.

Also I hate "epic" shit, let jRPGs do that.

Gee. Someone never played MoTB, BG2, HoTU? Your ignorance is not an excuse for not having epic-scaled games.

Quillon

Arcane
They've been very good at addressing most of the feedback given but the two biggest changes they did on their own, out of the feedback loop are removing per rest & HP/endu split, guess they think these two things will help new gens into the game easier or something. As for SJW agendas, we'll see when the game comes out that we'll realize all the pixel nudity in the game are male butts in the bathhouse :P

And I was wrong 5 mins ago:

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Platform: Linux, Macintosh, Windows PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One

Rating Category:

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Nudity, Sexual Themes, Strong Language, Violence

Rating Summary: This is a role-playing game in which players control a party of characters as they complete quests around a fantastical island region. From a top-down perspective, players interact with townspeople and engage in real-time battles with humans and creatures (e.g., boars, skeletons, elementals). Characters use swords and magic attacks to defeat enemies in brief, frenetic combat; battles include large splashes of blood, and sometimes, chunks of flesh. A handful of game environments depict severed limbs and torsos littering the ground. During the course of the game, players can hire courtesans after selecting flirtatious dialogue choices (e.g., “I wouldn't mind seeing you again…so long as you come with coin.”); other text and conversations include suggestive/sexual references (e.g., “[He] accused a man of…indiscretions with his own sister”; "The two of you tumble into your bunk, and you pass a few sweaty hours in one another's company"; "[He] called someone a sister-f**ker."). A bath-house sequence briefly depicts nude characters with bare breasts, as well as male genitalia.

https://gameidealist.com/news/sexual-themes-and-more-detailed-for-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire/

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
instead of the obvious truth that they ignore all the feedback regarding the first game.

I wouldn't say they ignore all feedback but they are definitely selective about which feedback they listen to. Feedback from Something Awful and badgame posters that aren't Codexers are definitely the high influence list.

This happens because negative codexers just shitpost like edgy kids, so who bother listening to them?

instead of the obvious truth that they ignore all the feedback regarding the first game.

I wouldn't say they ignore all feedback but they are definitely selective about which feedback they listen to. Feedback from Something Awful and badgame posters that aren't Codexers are definitely the high influence list.
The problem is that they firmly believe that they are right about the wrong things, so that they only pay attention to irrelevant feedback. If a poster from Something Awful presented the same arguments Roxor made in his review in a diplomatic fashion they would still gladly ignore the whole thing. Sawyer is an idiot. He can't help himself.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
This is a role-playing game in which players control a party of characters as they complete quests around a fantastical island region. From a top-down perspective, players interact with townspeople and engage in real-time battles with humans and creatures (e.g., boars, skeletons, elementals). Characters use swords and magic attacks to defeat enemies in brief, frenetic combat.

There's something depressing yet hilarious about this esrb lapidary summary.
It's gonna be hard to top that in our 1-8 review(s). :lol:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
1d8 reviews + 1 (Roxor).

BTW multiclassing is in Deadfire largely due to player feedback (no, not Codex feedback in particular). Just saying.

The attitude "hurr, if I suck up to devs they will love me and maek game like I say, and it will be a grand gaem" could not be farther from the truth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom