Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse (3DS) Blasphemy Edition

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
this is very true:

Not to mention the games throw in a lot more dialouge than it was customary in previous games

why is it that the suckier the dialog the more there always is of it. too much fucking VN anime dialog was the reason i could never get into the SRPG branch of the series the recent DEVIL SURVIVOR games.

I began playing the remake of the 1st Dev Surv and my god it is just a shitty VN constant fucking idiotic anime dialog non fucking stop with battles waaaay too few and far between.

and they even shove dialog DURING FUCKING BATTLES

edit: also i just didnt find the mechanics to have enough depth plain and simple that played primary role in me giving up the playthrough.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Certainly, all the modern 3ds Megaten games I've played are pretty lame in regards of immersion.

- In SMT IV & A, your avatar 3D model narratively speaking doesn't exist. It servers no purpose but to be a custom eye candy since cut-scenes sequences just show artwork in a VN fashion. Might as well be in first person view, in fact, I think that way would convey more immersion than the 3rd view of an avatar with an ugly custom outfit.

-Same thing applies to NPCs, they're as lively as the rest of debris you find around tokyo wasteland. Outside rooms, they walk around doing nothing and there's no reason to talk to them. Inside a room, It's pretty much the same, but instead they're idle sprites.

-I think I've mentioned before, but the over descriptive flavour text of SMT IV A is quite irksome.

and they even shove dialog DURING FUCKING BATTLES

Yup, and they're always pointless "I gonna defeat you","I will not give up" shit. Compare it with the in battle dialogues snippets in jagged alliance 2, which are amusing and are added organically to the hud display. Barely taking space and are kept short.

This trending of VN/gameplay games on 3ds is perhaps a response to the increasing popularity of vns,pretty much decline.

Last edited:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
I am glad that I didn't bought SMTIV A, I didn't like 4 at all. they did improve a few things but the story,dialog ect, ugh.
well actually pretty much all their game lately changed or something, it just doesn't feel like the ps2 era and before anymore.(becoming more main stream/casual?)

Viata

Arcane
Their newer MegaTen are not that bad, but they either go VN-like(I love Strange Journey, but holy shit, that is one long ass intro. Thank god it 100% fun after that) or it's some Persona-spin off.
Devil Survivor are really great games. 1 has a good plot(the idea, I mean, all that Bel battles), but oh god, I'd not recommend that for anyone that can't stand anime-level dialogues and all that talk during a battle(I thas the tpt mechanics: talk per turns which is usually 1 talk per turn[of each characters]).

Dorarnae

Arbiter
yeah but the last few game annoyed me so much. Persona 5 was really disapointing. I did enjoy 4 and 3 but 5 I can't stand it.
The new character they added in persona 4 (marie?) annoyed me.
SMT4 sucked.
when they made their first persona fighting game, the ending of the game was quite interesting and it had potential but the sequel sucked.
Devil Survivor are nice, I liked them. not sure about the remake(at least the first game, haven't tried the remake of the second game). the voice acting ugh...

I really liked atlus game...but I am starting to take some distance now..

The last SMT I played was Strange Journey and despite its superlong intro, it was a very fun game.

Nocturne was really cool.

I booted SMTIV Apocalypse today and had to sit through 10 minutes of weeabo shit-tier drivel only to be met with bubbly pop music. Adramelech is a gay carnival pony. Dagda is my BFF who I communicate with through my spiffy cellphone.

What the fuck happened to this series?

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Persona 3 happened, but let's be honest here, their commercial standing was pretty poor (from what I've read in the interviews). Animu is unfortunately what happens to every series in Japan, as the only people buying games are retarded otakus. You know fags will buy your shit as long as you have waifus.

Not to mention the overall retardation of the people entering the industry as well, since unlike devs of the yore, these people tend to grow up with games themselves and have no interesting thoughts beyond having consumed anime/otaku media.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
SMT always had waifus tho, going all the way back to Digital Devil Story. Lots of people seem to think that SMT is somehow a sublime series because they played Nocturne, and maybe Strange Journey, without realizing that those two games are the exception and not the rule.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well the "main" game, Shin Megami Tensei, never had this crap until IV and that *was* the rule. Unfortunately, yeah, P3 happened and it fucked everything up.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
But it did. It's literally on the cover of Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei. Shin Megami Tensei has always had a main heroine as the main characters waifu. I'm not gonna deny that SMT4A isn't more severe than earlier entries when it comes to waifuing, but it's not a new concept by any stretch of the imagination. Not mainline, but Nemissa was pure waifubait, for example. Perhaps one the earliest example of Atlus really putting emphasis on it? I don't really see the Persona influences when there are women introduced into the party in 4A, especially since you can't romance any of them. You can kill them all and you can enslave one of them. That doesn't scream Persona to me at all.

flyingjohn

Arcane
SMT always had waifus tho, going all the way back to Digital Devil Story. Lots of people seem to think that SMT is somehow a sublime series because they played Nocturne, and maybe Strange Journey, without realizing that those two games are the exception and not the rule.

Yup,and that is all because both those game had kazuma kadeko in either producer or creative director position.Considering he is mostly an artist the minimalists story telling made sense.
In fact i really wish he gets involved in another spinoff or mainline game,the result would probably be noctunre 2.0,which would be awesome.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am told this is a much improvement over 4.

I really dislike 4 for being too much of a clusterfuck of things incoherently designed and happenings.

I dunno should i?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so i read the whole analysis of smt iv and I gotta say it was an interesting read. much more so than the game itsef.

also this was hella funny
throatcutter.jpg

A massive tonal shift within a single scene.

LOOL

Dorarnae

Arbiter
SMTIV: Final finished.
Last dugeon was boring, final battle was shit.
Better go play Deep Strange Journey.

deep strange journey is ok. I mean strange journey is good but the added content isn't anything special to be honest.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
added content isn't anything special to be honest
I don't even think the added content is that good, btw.
How annoying are the new characters? Strange Journey is gud when it comes to combat/fusion/dungeons, but when it comes to characters and dialog it's mediocre at best and really bad at worst. It was pretty jarring when elite soldiers and scientists were acting like retarded schoolchildren.

Viata

Arcane
How annoying are the new characters? Strange Journey is gud when it comes to combat/fusion/dungeons, but when it comes to characters and dialog it's mediocre at best and really bad at worst. It was pretty jarring when elite soldiers and scientists were acting like retarded schoolchildren.
Alex is the daughter of Lucifer. That is everything you need to know about it.

Dorarnae

Arbiter

pretty much. there are a few things that are nice but overall, I was not impress with the new dungeon.

duanth123

Arcane

pretty much. there are a few things that are nice but overall, I was not impress with the new dungeon.

How was the hardest difficulty? As compared to SMTIV: A?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom