Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

PanteraNera

Arcane
mustawd.

I thought a little more about what you brought up. I would be an ignorant fool if I would be blaming anyone to perceive me as hating or badmouthing PP but actually not because that is the truth, but me being mostly critically. Since recently every other post I do say something positive about PP, to correct that perception, also I admit and state when I realize that I was wrong.

Also trying to be edgy and funny in the beginning didn't help at all, especially since I utterly failed at that :D

I never had doubt that PP will be better than XCOM 1 & 2. But that does not mean that I am a fanboy or are not critical about inconsistencies and pointing them out, in detail, with references, while stating that it is my opinion. For me a opinion is something very different from truth. I never wanted to give the impression that I am advocating the "truth" about PP's flaws. I understand that many people belief that their opinions are the truth.

While that being said, I am not interested in discussing with ignorant people. Like I said earlier I am not here for an popularity-contest nor will I change my opinion to appeal to anyone. People I respect, for example you, I will answer to in detail and will have a conversation with and try to understand their point of view, or have a discussion.

See as I have stated earlier, I do absolutely get why people are treating PP as an "spiritual successor", as I have said so before, if they keep doing what they claim to do, especially regarding the geoscape this game will bet the closest thing to an successor to the original X-Com game since 24 years (turn-based battlescape, realtime geoscpape, base building, research, alien threat, modern setting). Also I have stated several times, that I have made wrong assumptions. I have talked about that in detail not to convince others, but that they can understand were I am coming from.

But hey, I am not a guy that just is going to disrespect and not try to understand others that do not do the same with me. That would be childish and also hypocritical.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seriously. The three people ITT who didn’t read the fig pitch just need to stfu about “muh deception”.

It’s getting..no, it’s gotten old.
Feel free to ignore me than.

Look, I’m just saying. You said it. You’ve said it 20 times. We pointed out to you, clearly, the many times XCOM was mentioned in the fig pitch. You still continue on. Now your new thing is “you never told us how much x-com/xcom it would be”? Give me a break man.

Do you really think anyone here is convinced by the 25th time?

I think you make good posts, I’m just tired of hearing the same thing because you’re butthurt Julian isn’t making it more x-com. What did you expect?

He clearly has wanted to make an X-comish game. He’s said so countless times. He’s said countless times that Firaxis opened up the doors to him making PP. He’s written that XCOM created a new genre. He’s heaped tons of praise on Solomon in multiple interviews.

Look, I get the passion, as X-com is probably my fav PC game, but cmon man. You make yourself look foolish with multiple “but they lied to us” retarded statements. That’s all I’m saying.

I’d rather discuss the game they are making rather than the one I wish they made.

Good riddance to the 2-3 people retarded club around here founded by ArchAngel and Mazisky.
All you can hope for from now on is that one day they'll make you partner.
Shitposting like best of them I see. Continuing what you do best since you don't know anything better.

Mazisky

Magister
Seriously. The three people ITT who didn’t read the fig pitch just need to stfu about “muh deception”.

It’s getting..no, it’s gotten old.
Feel free to ignore me than.

Look, I’m just saying. You said it. You’ve said it 20 times. We pointed out to you, clearly, the many times XCOM was mentioned in the fig pitch. You still continue on. Now your new thing is “you never told us how much x-com/xcom it would be”? Give me a break man.

Do you really think anyone here is convinced by the 25th time?

I think you make good posts, I’m just tired of hearing the same thing because you’re butthurt Julian isn’t making it more x-com. What did you expect?

He clearly has wanted to make an X-comish game. He’s said so countless times. He’s said countless times that Firaxis opened up the doors to him making PP. He’s written that XCOM created a new genre. He’s heaped tons of praise on Solomon in multiple interviews.

Look, I get the passion, as X-com is probably my fav PC game, but cmon man. You make yourself look foolish with multiple “but they lied to us” retarded statements. That’s all I’m saying.

I’d rather discuss the game they are making rather than the one I wish they made.

Good riddance to the 2-3 people retarded club around here founded by ArchAngel and Mazisky.
All you can hope for from now on is that one day they'll make you partner.

Being edgy, butthurt and overcritique in gaming forums is a trend who lost flavour years ago. You better update yourself and find a new trend, try buying some high-branded clothes, you can't be wrong with that.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Shitposting like best of them I see. Continuing what you do best since you don't know anything better.
Seriously dude?

Shit Posting
1: The failure to make a constructive post
2: The inability to add useful information to a forum
3: Worthless overly offensive generally racists posts written in a manner which aggravates others.

Most of your posts I have seen itt fulfill at least one to two points by that definition.
That is why I usually ignore you after asking you a question.

And no, when comparing X-Com to XCOM it is not a valid argument that you have completed it two times on superhuman, it is not a fact that adds anything at all to the discussion.
Also claiming "that you are right" regarding your statement that "There are only 2-3 vocal people here complaining about that." Is again not constructive.
As conversations with you do not lead anywhere, I just do not value you enough to debunk your claims.

I am pretty damn sure that you are biased towards me, I don't blame you for that nor do I have a problem with you. If you actually have something constructive to add I will discuss with you as I do with anyone else. Also as I know that some people I respect, respect you I am pretty damn sure that usually you are a decent guy to talk with.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Being edgy, butthurt and overcritique in gaming forums is a trend who lost flavour years ago. You better update yourself and find a new trend, try buying some high-branded clothes, you can't be wrong with that.
And exactly why are you than on RPGcodex and not on Bethesda or Firaxis forums?
I am sure if what you just said is true that you will have a better experience there.

Mazisky

Magister
And exactly why are you than on RPGcodex and not on Bethesda or Firaxis forums?
I am sure if what you just said is true that you will have a better experience there.

I like the codex because there are people with nice arguments too.

Archangel often shit on games too, but he has arguments. that's fine

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Codex basically is armchair game design central. Not sure what people expect, dead forum or an active discussion regarding the information we have on the game? Of course the discussion was going to steer this way, considering the game is sold as "Gollop will make X-com great again".

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seriously dude?

Shit Posting
1: The failure to make a constructive post
2: The inability to add useful information to a forum
3: Worthless overly offensive generally racists posts written in a manner which aggravates others.

Most of your posts I have seen itt fulfill at least one to two points by that definition.
That is why I usually ignore you after asking you a question.

And no, when comparing X-Com to XCOM it is not a valid argument that you have completed it two times on superhuman, it is not a fact that adds anything at all to the discussion.
Also claiming "that you are right" regarding your statement that "There are only 2-3 vocal people here complaining about that." Is again not constructive.
As conversations with you do not lead anywhere, I just do not value you enough to debunk your claims.

I am pretty damn sure that you are biased towards me, I don't blame you for that nor do I have a problem with you. If you actually have something constructive to add I will discuss with you as I do with anyone else. Also as I know that some people I respect, respect you I am pretty damn sure that usually you are a decent guy to talk with.
Are you his lover or something?
No other explanation for this post of yours.

Go into any topic Grotesque is part of and he is shitposting in all of them.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Are you his lover or something?
No other explanation for this post of yours.
Duh you feel smart stating the obvious?
Jimmious posted a image of the two of us itt, go figure.

This is how I see Grotesque and PanteraNera in this thread:
hqdefault.jpg

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
I totally dig the entire ragtag human resistance shtick the initial pitch had, went well with the foggy and grimy, barnacly feel the game had.... maybe them space marine armors could be used as late game top tier armors?

Bring back them trenchcoats and scavengers! :)

Mazisky

Magister
The space marines are specifically for the New Jericho faction who is a military hitech organization. I guess the others will look a lot different

PanteraNera

Arcane
The space marines are specifically for the New Jericho faction who is a military hitech organization. I guess the others will look a lot different
Well on the Fig pitch they were completely different.

1. New Jericho soldiers and equipment
    https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_images%2Fimages%2F66ec79f260a630fc2b05511e64714f4bc93f8df0%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1491569876

the third from the left side is New Jericho, source: from the fig page

hl-concept3-1493140972583_1280w.jpg

New Jericho concept, source discord

maxresdefault.jpg

right side New Jericho heavy concept, source discord

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F9f2472e83f5ae783db57fe1cf100388c5ee65824%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493323506

Concept of New Jericho headgear posted in an fig update

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F59a3519bf677198c45f251c4fb60051a14755ce3%2Foriginal.gif%3F1495017226

This New Jericho flamethrower looked so nicely used and battered and individualized, source fig update

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F8c6dc0aa4f81b9d654292744dfec2f9c893f349f%2Foriginal.gif%3F1495017233

Another New Jericho Flamethrower from the same fig update

NJ.png

New_jericho_soldiers_marketingshot16x9_04.jpg

NJ_Soldiers_wallpapper1920_1080.jpg

both images taken from discord

2. Old vs. New, New Jericho Vehicle

[*]
    https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2Fe1b607a253f8c31acc03221a845fc4f5c0d517e2%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493993871

New Jericho Vehicle concept, fig update

0850837aa31edd5dc4580fed1e576117.jpg

Armadilo, New Jericho Vehicle, source: discord

3. Phoenix Point soldiers

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_images%2Fimages%2F0d49e75823545813225ee5da06e2a34c1216cfca%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1491577989

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_images%2Fimages%2F4a9a87a432e3e83f89edef5fe46c5bfc0aaa98c7%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1491578005

from the fig page

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F49fc90e503d0b82756fba231c103b16b5898f434%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493215108

Phoenix Point soldier, fig update

MLMUbHr.png

Most recent concept art, source discord
They have not shown 3D models of the player factions since the initial Fig pitch. But since they changed New Jericho so drastically I assume that they will do the same to Phoenix Point, especially with the latest concept in mind.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The above screenshot nailed the atmosphere perfectly. At least at the start of the game I assume Phoenix Project is a ragtag army which bases its operation mainly on scavenging, so I really hope Snapshot keeps this kind of aestethic.

PanteraNera

Arcane
The above screenshot nailed the atmosphere perfectly. At least at the start of the game I assume Phoenix Project is a ragtag army which bases its operation mainly on scavenging, so I really hope Snapshot keeps this kind of aestethic.
Hope dies last.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
It would also be nice, at this point of development, to see something new and concrete instead of mere concept art.

PanteraNera

Arcane
It would also be nice, at this point of development, to see something new and concrete instead of mere concept art.
Well I just asked UnstableVoltage if the Backer Build One will be played as New Jericho or Phoenix Project.
gG8gkh0.png

So we will likely see nothing new regarding how PP soldiers will look like.

PanteraNera

Arcane
So we'll likely see nothing new at all (or almost).
Hopefully that inventory they are working on makes it in.
I am sure they will do their best to include the inventory system in Backer Build One.
Beside that there might be chances (there is no official word on that matter) that the Chiron and the redesigned larva will be in. But I guess that depends if they can finish animations in time. Working vehicles could make it in as well (remember the New Jericho vehicle Armadillo was almost finished for the PC Gamer Weekender). But all that are guesses from me.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well I don't have access to backer beta anyways so all I got to lose is more interesting videos/twitch streams. I will be playing Battletech at the time anyways.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Well, at this pace I presume the game won't be ready until Q2 2019 (at least) unless Snapshot is keeping for itself a much more advanced build or they'll cut a lot of content. And if they run out of budget there are two possibilities, the first is to find a publisher and the second make another crowfunding round and, in this case, we'll probably found out how many of the original backers were X-Comers and how many XComers and if the bet on the latter has paid off.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Well, at this pace I presume the game won't be ready until Q2 2019 (at least) unless Snapshot is keeping for itself a much more advanced build or they'll cut a lot of content. And if they run out of budget there are two possibilities, the first is to find a publisher and the second make another crowfunding round and, in this case, we'll probably found out how many of the original backers were X-Comers and how many XComers and if the bet on the latter has paid off.
That is one of the main points that worry me, a lot.

They have stated severally times that they will not show all Pandora Virus creatures before the release, so that players will be surprised.

If and how much of that stuff is finished already is unknown. But I would doubt that there is much as they showed the progress of the Chiron from concept to the recent 3D renders I posted (it was note revealed in the initial pitch nor the fig updates). Why show a work in progress model if for example there is finished work. Same kinda goes with the redesigned larva (which was also a complete redesign, so it would had been a surprise if kept secret until release). Also there was quiet some more creature designs shown in the fig campaign, as they are already revealed why not show them of, if they worked further on them. Maybe they scraped them but keep in mind that is just me speculating.

With human factions it is quiet different. It was stated (last year) that they focus on New Jericho for the PC Gamer Weekender, as I have written in detail with references itt. It makes no sense to feature them if they were not the most ready faction to show to begin with. From PP soldiers we haven't seen anything new since the fig campaign, which makes me belief that they scraped the initial models, otherwise they would have put more work into them and showed the "finished" result. Again just speculating. From Disciples of Anu we have only seen that Mutog Rider so far, which is in a very early state. Also keep in mind that the Backer Build One will as UV said "I belief it will be NJ to begin with" which is kind of another confirmation that it is the most ready faction to show off.

Like I said before, if you look at the information there is so far, it is really hard to tell in what state the game is and how much work is left.

What is certain and what we should not forget is that they have shown of a lot of completely new assets in the PC Gamer Weekender demo. Also the crabman had just two mutation-variants in the demo they showed while they showed in the Christmas update that there is more finished, at least on the art side.

I hope that they will do regular updates of the Backer Build and that we will see another pacing from than on.

Destroid

Arcane
Looks like they basically swapped the styles of the Phoenix and Jericho soldiers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom