Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

TigerKnee

Arcane
Considering that with a full party I only reached level 22 or so... a smaller party might easily reach level 30+. Not sure this makes up for the missing party members, but it was a thought...
Considering Wizardry 8 has level scaling...

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I've thought about the level scaling as well. Made a small test run with the 3-party until meeting Gregor, and the battle felt almost the same in the difficulty as with a full party. Because of the higher level the party members endured longer, so it felt very similar. Not sure how it turns out in the long run though.

Piotrovitz

Savant
I'm having Wiz 8 withdrawals and desperately need to do another playthrough. Fun party advises appreciated.

Last time I've beat it on hard I had rather easy times, probably due to kinda powergamey party - DW Fighter/DW Rouge/Bard with bloodlust/shield frontline, Valk and two dual schools bishops in the back. After throwing soul/element shield, melees whacked the shit out of everything and I almost never had to use any consumables etc.

I'll definitely take felpurr samurai, not sure about the rest though.

Gadgeteer looks fun, but the gadgets cover mainly priest buffs, which I'll get from bishop/valk/lord + the blinds from omnigun just makes the fights last longer, with shit running away. Maybe I'll take him and skip priest spellbook on my bishop.

Are ranged ninjas any good? What I'm worried about is constantly running out of throwing stuff before I get boomerang shuriken. Alternatively I'll go with DW daggers or staffs. Too bad that zatoichi bo is sam/monk only.

Monk is a definitely no-go - I have some kind of prejudice for this class in any rpg.

Lord with 2h sword or staff of doom in the backrow sounds nice.

Ranger seems ok, but mid/late game fighter and valk are doing nice damage with bows/crossbows anyway, while having high dmg output in melee as well. Is it worth to take hiim only for ranged crits?

Give me some fun and gimped party build pls.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
My 3-member-party (fighters) in Wizardry 8 went shit. I expected to reach level 10 after the monastery, but instead only reached level 7. I remember that with a full 6-member party I reached level 6, so the level progress was almost the same. The "double experience" from the 3-member-party wasn't fast enough to make it much more interesting (since gaining special abilities like PowerStrike isn't much faster), nor did the slightly higher level make up for the 3 missing party members. A disappointing experience overall.

Also got annoyed by the fucking damn slow combat speed. It's slow despite both combat enhancement mods. While I was impressed by these mods yesterday, I only played the first hour of the game, which featured only up to 5 enemies at once. But as soon as you have 10+ enemies, everything gets fucking tedious (even on max speeds).

Aside from that I totally got ennoyed when the enemy count was 10+ and I could only attack 3 times.

A playthrough might still be possible, but only on "Easy" difficulty. "Normal" is a bit too much for the small party.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Ranged Ninjas are terrible in Vanilla. Most mods just band-aid things a little by providing more ammo.

Piotrovitz

Savant
My 3-member-party (fighters) in Wizardry 8 went shit. I expected to reach level 10 after the monastery, but instead only reached level 7. I remember that with a full 6-member party I reached level 6, so the level progress was almost the same. The "double experience" from the 3-member-party wasn't fast enough to make it much more interesting (since gaining special abilities like PowerStrike isn't much faster), nor did the slightly higher level make up for the 3 missing party members. A disappointing experience overall.
You would still have tough times later with only 3 fighters anyway, even if they levelled faster. Debuffs are king in this game, so with mage fights you would end up having most, if not all, of your party debiliated. Melee fights on the other hand, would drag on forever without debuffs like freeze/paralyze/instanity/etc.

If you can't take low speed, even with wizfast, I'd suggest to roll with full party with melees and casters.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
going into wiz8 with nobody that can give you either element shield or soul shield or magic screen is borderline asking to get raped

hf in bayjin nigga, or against any random encounter of psions such as unicorns

Hobo Elf

Arcane
going into wiz8 with nobody that can give you either element shield or soul shield or magic screen is borderline asking to get raped

This is what I did on my first play of Wiz8. It was.. interesting. Like pulling teeth out interesting.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm thinking to start a full 6-8th game playthrough nowadays. Are we able to use the same party in all 3 games?
Also looking for suggestions. I mostly end up using the same shittiy party setup, expand my horizon Codex!

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected

This is what I did on my first play of Wiz8. It was.. interesting. Like pulling teeth out interesting.

:lol:

Yeah. It was probably good, that my Lizardman fighter party got raped so early in the game. I once made a 6-member-lizard melee party as well (a couple of years ago), and it was very tricky to kill the first group of these psionic fishmen (whatever they are called). I didn't continue that walkthrough.

Maybe a melee only party needs to have maxed out Piety, which gives Iron Will and therefore resistance to mental attacks. Also maybe Dwarfs are better than Lizardmen in this case, because of additional damage resistance (which applies to magic damage as well I think).

Putting the game on halt, until I make up my mind... :roll:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Full melee with dracons, acid breathing everything that they can't reach maybe works?
Dunno about that breaths damage scaling though, does it scale with level?

Piotrovitz

Savant
Full melee party may be doable, but you need to have at least a bard with magic screen keytar thingy - this would make the Rynjin rape more bearable.

Bumping up the question about dracon breath dmg scaling.
Always had a drac fighter in my party, but I tend to forget about the breath as soon as I get bow/crossbow in monastery, so I never really checked this out.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Maybe a melee only party needs to have maxed out Piety, which gives Iron Will and therefore resistance to mental attacks. Also maybe Dwarfs are better than Lizardmen in this case, because of additional damage resistance (which applies to magic damage as well I think).
Dwarf resistance applies only to physical attacks afaik - even if it worked for spells, it's not the DD that you should be worried about.

PorkBarrellGuy

Trying to decide whether to roll Dracon or Felpurr for my SAM and Dwarf or Rawulf for the Priest-Lord.

Piotrovitz

Savant
I rolled felpurr sam and rawulf priest-lord myself yesterday d: - )

There's no way you can have a Sam in Wiz 8 that's not him:

w8felpurr2m.jpg

RPing-wise, both dwarf and rawulf are cool as lords - I would choose depending on the gear you want to roll with.
DW sword/mace for dwarf, 2H swords fro rawulf imo.

PorkBarrellGuy

Oh my god FUCK ARNIKA ROAD. I'm hitting groups of Modais out here that are absolutely making my life hell. The Monastery was fun (except for the part where I somehow slid down stairs and injured my party for no reason), Arnika Road is an absolute slog.

PorkBarrellGuy

Woo, most of the way through it, Modais weren't even the worst of it (encountered a Sige and some Cutpurses). IIRC I'm going to be dealing with some vines soon, those are going to be annoying.

EDIT: NEVERMIND.
02302f2136.png

Fuck my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piotrovitz

Savant
Insanity and missile shield are your best friends against those higardi bums.

TBH I've never found the dreaded Arnika road that hard, even on the first blind playthrough.
Once you get the gist of useful low-level debuffs like sleep/web/insanity/blinding flash/etc, it gets pretty easy.

Of course there's element of randomness and you can encounter some obscene shit, like bunch of Modais hanging around with dozen soldier ants and their queen.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
TBH I've never found the dreaded Arnika road that hard, even on the first blind playthrough.

Same. Tbh by far the worst thing you can find on it are murderplants, modai mobs can be easy if you just tackle them in some tactical corner. Higardi otoh are all suckers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom