Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you could help design TES6; what would you do?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
You could invade some North African country, steal all their diamonds. Definitely the morally superior choice to an Elder Scrolls 6.

Bethesda would do that, and then use them as promotional items for TES VI.

rado907

Savant
I'd like to see TES drop the level-scaling and add some more challenge to the game. Oblivion and Skyrim both had the weird tendency to make the player feel like an omnipotent wimp. At both level 5 and 50, killing dragons and random street bandits takes about the same effort - and that's lame. It means that the player can go anywhere at any time and slog through the content without any real challenge.
Add more interesting loot, used to love the boots of blinding speed in Morrowind.
Less hand-holding, we can figure out things on our own; and besides we can ask people for help online.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I'd like to see TES drop the level-scaling and add some more challenge to the game. Oblivion and Skyrim both had the weird tendency to make the player feel like an omnipotent wimp. At both level 5 and 50, killing dragons and random street bandits takes about the same effort - and that's lame. It means that the player can go anywhere at any time and slog through the content without any real challenge.
Add more interesting loot, used to love the boots of blinding speed in Morrowind.
Less hand-holding, we can figure out things on our own; and besides we can ask people for help online.

None of the suff you mentioned will ever happen, to be honest.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
More marriages and house building, paid mods, maybe some lootboxes.

On a serious note - to rework the engine, and make combat more fun. It does feel like clicking foes to death most of the time.

rado907

Savant
None of the suff you mentioned will ever happen, to be honest.
I couldn't get into either DS1 or DS2, but the popularity of the DS series has been so immense that I think it may have an effect on the design of even TES. So I think we might see some significant changes. Wouldn't bet my house on it but it's possible.

Phisto

Literate
To be fair, you can replace Pagliarulo with 100 monkeys with typewriters a neural net. I doubt they'll even think about alienating their casual audience with difficulty or choices so they could at the very least drop the main storyline or at least not force it on the player. Certainly not voice-act it or force a complicated backstory.

I've heard more people say they never finished Skyrim than say they loved the main storyline.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
To be fair, you can replace Pagliarulo with 100 monkeys with typewriters a neural net. I doubt they'll even think about alienating their casual audience with difficulty or choices so they could at the very least drop the main storyline or at least not force it on the player. Certainly not voice-act it or force a complicated backstory.

Why would they think of changing what is working for them?

Phisto

Literate
Because they can't re-release Skyrim for the third time (I hope). I still can't recall a situation in TES where someone said the main storyline was better than the guild quests or hell, just wandering aimlessly.

And one thing I've learnt the past few years is that no matter how shit something is, if you advertise the fuck out of it, it's going to be a success so why not do something different?

How about locking some of that content away from low level characters? Daggerfall did it and it works. There's no reason why some greenhorn who just arrived at the shore or the border of the province (every TES game has to start like that) should be able to enter every castle and talk to every powerful individual in the land. Just let the NPCs mock the puny wimp and tell him to come back when he's grown up.

Oblivion had some of that, but amusingly only when interacting with objects (daedric statues told you to come back at a higher level and birthsign stones told you to come back with a higher reputation).

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Oblivion had some of that, but amusingly only when interacting with objects (daedric statues told you to come back at a higher level and birthsign stones told you to come back with a higher reputation).

That's probably the most ridiculous way of implementing it, though.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Well, it's disguised with L O R E reasons like "the daedric lords will only answer the call of a more powerful champion" or "the stone will only reveal the fate of a renowned hero" or somesuch.

It's still ridiculous and stupid, especially as level scaling apparently makes you less powerful when you level up.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

beth games = easy world builder + untalented hacks + old engine + large team of bad asset designers + marketing + sandbox for generation tism to play in + modabilty for gen tism to fix your broken game for you

kkd, tw3 - more publishers are catching on to this and will hopefully drive beth hacks out of their own market soon.

still haven't seen many copy the modding part of the formula tho.

Thane Solus

Arcane
beth games = easy world builder + untalented hacks + old engine + large team of bad asset designers + marketing + sandbox for generation tism to play in + modabilty for gen tism to fix your broken game for you

kkd, tw3 - more publishers are catching on to this and will hopefully drive beth hacks out of their own market soon.

still haven't seen many copy the modding part of the formula tho.

kkd has actually good, challenging combat, but those fucking cutscenes interrupting you every 10 seconds are annoying (just zoom a bit to the character, show dialog choices, not some Bioware shit nightmare). Its a interesting story, but still... i am talking about basic dialogues, not important story events, which are quite awesome.

tw3 it has the biggest popamole shit combat (if feels good cause its spectacular, but no challenge or real progression), with some interesting characters, content and story. Its basically an interactive movie with some occasion button pressing, or side quests. Kojimiweaboo would be proud.

I like the universes of both, but beside having lots of content, for me Twitcher 3 is not really a game.

P.S. I actually liked Skyrim with some must have mods (UI and others), even if they dumbed down the progression a lot, and the story war was non dynamic. Its probalby their best mainstream game after Morrowind, the first ones were quite a force, but then they made lots of money and...

After Fallout 4, i dont think something even mediocre can be released from Bethesda...

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I like the universes of both, but beside having lots of content, for me Twitcher 3 is not really a game.
both games are popamole combat. twitchers combat is broken without mods, but it's still playable. It's not strategic (unless you face off against higher level monsters and then the game becomes dark souls), but it is a game.

I actually liked Skyrim with some must have mods (UI and others)
the story, characters, questlines are still trash though. no mod can ever fix that. no mod can ever fix the dumb as bricks main quest either. It's a time waster for larpers. The combat is even less challenging that tw3 vanilla and if you are going to compare modded skyrim to tw3, you might as well try the latest (improved) W3EE and compare it to that.
After Fallout 4, i dont think something even mediocre can be released from Bethesda...
yeah. and if more sandbox games are released, their walking sim addicted fans might finally let them fail.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
release the Poison gas inside bethesda studio.

no one lives. hire hitman to hunt down former employees as well since they are now tainted.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
no mod can ever fix the dumb as bricks main quest either. It's a time waster for larpers.
Interesting how "roleplaying" has become known as "larping" and is now considered a bad thing.
LARPing is a subset of roleplaying that is not facilitated by in-game mechanics and typically comes down to mostly being in the player's imagination

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom