Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Decline of Mark Morgan?

roshan

Arcane
Why is the music of Stasis, Wasteland 2 and Tides of Numenera so goddamn boring? There are a couple of memorable bits here and there but most of it is so dull.

What happened to the fabled composer of Planescape Torment and the Fallouts?

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Modern video game composer's law: everything is bland banal boring shit.
It really, really is fucking boring now. I was in Montreal recently and they had this radio station that played nothing but video game music, so my pals and I would listen to it and see if there was anything we recognized. They played modern stuff exclusively, it was all this bland, orchestral mush and it may as well have all been from the same game. The only song we recognized was the Halo theme, which is orchestral music to begin with. Every other song was just so bland. Why are we doing this!?!?!?!?!?!?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAa

roshan

Arcane
Mark Morgan's Numanuma soundtrack actually sounds really cuckish, like some soyboy desperately trying to be pleasing so it ends up grating on you instead.

I think there are good soundtracks out there. Josh Culler's work on Underrail and Neo Scavenger is fantastic. Even the new Shadowrun games, Halfway and Invisible Inc had great cyberpunk themed scores.

wyes gull

Savant
Can you really be that much worse than you used to be when making music that you don't need to turn off even if you're listening to music from another source?

roshan

Arcane
If you need to listen to music from another source, that's bad enough, if you don't even need to turn off the music while listening to something else, that's much worse. And that is exactly what describes Nu-Morgan.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Eh, his work with Planescape was A+++. The Fallout soundtrack was rather boring. I thought Zur's soundtrack for Fallout: 3 was much better.

I didn't love Fallout because of the music. With that said, this song is absolutely beautiful and the only one I liked in the whole game. Also, he supposedly straight ripped off the Aphex Twins to make the Fallout soundtrack. Not cool at all considering it wasn't that good.

Now, Planescape is a different story. Fucking amazing soundtrack.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Modern video game composer's law: everything is bland banal boring shit.
It really, really is fucking boring now. I was in Montreal recently and they had this radio station that played nothing but video game music, so my pals and I would listen to it and see if there was anything we recognized. They played modern stuff exclusively, it was all this bland, orchestral mush and it may as well have all been from the same game. The only song we recognized was the Halo theme, which is orchestral music to begin with. Every other song was just so bland. Why are we doing this!?!?!?!?!?!?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAa
Fucking kills me that so many find this shit to be great music. All Final Fantasy songs sound like this to me even though they score high as shit on best VGM lists.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer

Yeah, this is my favorite Fallout song too, such an amazing piece. I think it only plays in that town with the ghost farm, which is a shame, because it's such a tiny part of the game and you never hear it anywhere else.

My understanding is that he was brought in at the last minute to make the Planescape: Torment soundtrack. I think a complete soundtrack had already been composed by Lustmord or some industrial band, but then got scrapped when Guido Henkel resigned. I think he made the whole thing in about 6 weeks?

wyes gull

Savant
The Fallout soundtrack was rather boring.
Allow me to retort- the Fallout (1&2) soundtrack(s), comprised of Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Uriah Heep Best Of(s), feat. Mark Morgan on ambient sfx was fucking dope.
Also, spot on in regards to Final Fantasy (and orchestral bs in general).

roshan

Arcane
Eh, his work with Planescape was A+++. The Fallout soundtrack was rather boring. I thought Zur's soundtrack for Fallout: 3 was much better.

I didn't love Fallout because of the music. With that said, this song is absolutely beautiful and the only one I liked in the whole game. Also, he supposedly straight ripped off the Aphex Twins to make the Fallout soundtrack. Not cool at all considering it wasn't that good.

I think the new tracks in Fallout 2 were better than most of his FO1 music. In particular, Vault City and New Reno had great tracks:

Even Fallout 1 had great tracks though like Khans of New California and A Trader's Life.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
by far the best composer in RPG land anno 2018 is Jon Everist (shadowrun dragonfall, hong kong, and the upcoming battletech).

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Speaking of plagiarism.

These two songs sound too damn similar, right. Both great, though.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I think the new tracks in Fallout 2 were better than most of his FO1 music. In particular, Vault City and New Reno had great tracks:

Even Fallout 1 had great tracks though like Khans of New California and A Trader's Life.

Just doesn't sound good to my ears, but it is better than 100% of the things I hear on Final Fantasy VGM lists. Also, I hear notes from Planescape in the Vault City track.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
The video game composer is like the guy who is doing jingles for the peanut butter commercial on tv. Just because he is not Mozart, it doesn’t mean that he is not providing a valuable service. His job is providing you with some background music when you go around killing fictional entities in your game. Be thankful because that is a luxury. It may not look like it because we are spoiled, but it is. Trying to be all smug and dismissive about it on internet forums because you are employing higher standards derived from other contexts and mediums is not only pedantic, but poorly thought because a game composer will probably be working on a tight deadline, restricted to the game theme, and subject to the whims of the project lead, etc., so it’s not an easy task by any means.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Now about the copy bit, there is plagiarism and there is plagiarism:

“A good composer does not imitate; he steals” Igor Stravinsky

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom