Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 load times fix?

deama

Prophet
So NWN2 takes a while to load, and was wondering if anyone managed to fix it in some way? I looked aroun in the game data files and all of it is zipped! No wonder it takes a long while to load! Sadly if I unzip them, the game just doesn't recognise them.

deama

Prophet
Alright so I fiddled around some more and found out you can just zip the files back up but this time don't use any compression (or the lowest possible setting). This seems to improve it, but only by a bit; the loading times feel about 25% faster or so.

deama

Prophet
Does it work if you have a folder called [originalname].zip with the contents inside? Bit of a long shot but it works for some things
Sadly no. I'm guessing it tries to perform some sort of uncompression operation during load times, so if it's a folder (or just a folder with .zip), it will perform uncompression on it, which wouldn't work as it's not compressed.

Hopefully in the enhanced edition they'll fix this, at the very least!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Try upgrading your PC. It's not 2006 anymore. Also, read this if you want to get the most out of NWN2.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Do SSDs make any kinda of difference for the loading times?

Otherwise, quickest way to get rid of NWN2's loading times and all the other greatness that comes with it: uninstall. lolol

deama

Prophet
Try upgrading your PC. It's not 2006 anymore. Also, read this if you want to get the most out of NWN2.
Well, I got an i5 4th gen, 970, and an SSD; I guess I can get one of those super SSDs, the ones that go on the PCIe directly; but my mobo doesn't support that...

Do SSDs make any kinda of difference for the loading times?

Otherwise, quickest way to get rid of NWN2's loading times and all the other greatness that comes with it: uninstall. lolol
I don't remember the load times I had with my HDD for NWN2; but it is faster than I remember.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Well, I got an i5 4th gen, 970, and an SSD; I guess I can get one of those super SSDs, the ones that go on the PCIe directly; but my mobo doesn't support that...

How long does it take to load an area? Depends on the area, right? But if it's about 3 secs, you should just be content. I think it was average 5 secs for me with a Samsung Spinpoint (a decent mechanical HDD). But then, this was with a dual-core and good RAM.

deama

Prophet

How long does it take to load an area? Depends on the area, right? But if it's about 3 secs, you should just be content. I think it was average 5 secs for me with a Samsung Spinpoint (a decent mechanical HDD). But then, this was with a dual-core and good RAM.
Uhh, I don't remember exactly (just uninstalled it to make some more room, so I can't specifically test it). But if we don't count the module loading (so, if you load via a save), then ye, 3-5 secs sounds about right. If you consider the module loading, then it adds an extra couple of seconds or three (definitely less than 10). I guess I was asking for a bit much, but was hoping maybe there was a way to speed it up even more cause I like my loading times to be less than 1 second lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom