Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Mutant Year Zero Gameplay Footage + GDC 2018 Preview at PC Gamer

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
D:OS used an AP system, and TOOE used a 2 Action system.
Does that make D:OS better?
Now it is weird to have people compare it to XCOM if the roster is 6 characters deep.
Even though XCOM lost a good part of the "cannon fodder" appeal of its ancestor, having soldiers die remains a part of its identity.

I suppose Shadowrun would be a more relevant comparison.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Am pretty surprised by this, it looks amazing! Love the art design and sounds. Combat also looks nice.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
I'll say it again, this appears to be a conceptual replica of the After the Bomb PnP game series by Palladium Books; which is itself an offshoot of their TMNT and other Strangeness RPG.

ATB.jpg

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/eldad-assarach/after-the-bomb/

**That doesn't mean the game won't be great though.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I'll say it again, this appears to be a conceptual replica of the After the Bomb PnP game series by Palladium Books; which is itself an offshoot of their TMNT and other Strangeness RPG.

ATB.jpg

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/eldad-assarach/after-the-bomb/

**That doesn't mean the game won't be great though.

It's based on the Mutant RPG. It was released 2 years before After the Bomb (according to that most reliable of sources, wikipedia)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutant_(role-playing_game)

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Has 2AP combat historically been a turnoff for the Codex in RPGs? I thought it was only unacceptable in dedicated tactical combat games like X-Com. Blackguards had 2AP.
If it was just up to 2AP I wouldn't mind that much as it still gives quite some room for character versatility along with initiative and movement. It's the general pauperization of tactical system on behalf of character pampering. Lack of stances like crouching, cover becoming a binary state (well, ternary if you count light and heavy) instead of trajectory based - further pronouncing RNGJesus bullshittery, virtually indestructible environment, ridiculous restrictions in character loadouts just to name the few. But - hey, look! - you can now change soldier's hats! That being said, I'm merely a codexian by loose association, so it's probably not representative to the rest of the hivemind.

For a couple of you they lose, they'll gain other 100 people. I guess it's worth for them.
Why of course, Maxis struck gold with Sims, by tapping to a previously untouched market of casual players, and that cancerous filth keeps spreading to every game. Because, typically for the industry, everyone and their dog now want's to copy their success by copying their ideas, and now bringing games to the lowest common denominator became the holy grail of marketing - paying semi competent monkey, is still a paying customer after all. However, gladly the reality doesn't work like that and while strapping simplified combat to a niche game will probably make less people drop it when combat difficulty comes close to ruining their daily dose of self appreciation, it won't magically make people flock to a game that is still niche.

Even though XCOM lost a good part of the "cannon fodder" appeal of its ancestor, having soldiers die remains a part of its identity.
Don't make me laugh. In original XCom, if you play on some reasonably high difficulty half of the rookies will end in bodybags. In my ~10h before Firaxis bored me to death, the only soldier I lost was the one in scripted tutorial mission.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Don't make me laugh. In original XCom, if you play on some reasonably high difficulty half of the rookies will end in bodybags. In my ~10h before Firaxis bored me to death, the only soldier I lost was the one in scripted tutorial mission.
Wtf? Playing on the highest difficulty level (I/I) without losing any soldier in 10-15 missions is really hard in XCOM.
The problem is not that you don't lose soldiers, but that the game more or less forces you to restart if you do (because of the focus on soldiers abilities, which make casualties snowball at the campaign level).
Actually, that is even one of the major problems of XCOM:
Completing a mission while losing a skilled soldier is a setback, while in UFO, a costly victory still felt like one.

Last edited:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Wtf? Playing on the highest difficulty level (I/I) without losing any soldier in 10-15 missions is really hard in XCOM.
The problem is not that you don't lose soldiers, but that the game more or less forces you to restart if you do (because of the focus on soldiers abilities, which make casualties snowball at the campaign level).
Actually, that is even one of the major problems of XCOM:
Completing a mission while losing a skilled soldier is a setback, while in UFO, a costly victory still felt like one.
I don't even know what kind of stunt do you need too pull to get a leveled soldier killed in SimsCom but what if you say is true, it's even worse because the basic game design makes you stoop to save scamming meta gaming practices to even push forward. What made Ufo great was the fact it felt like a proper asymmetrical warfare against stronger enemy, where, like in every strategic game since conception of chess, it actually takes losses to achieve something meaningful not a snowflaked rag tag merry band of cunts wearing funny hats in a delusional power craze.

Last edited:

Andhaira

Arcane
Damn! I didn't know there was a cRPG in development of this. MY0 is a pnp RPG by a Swedish Company (Fria Lagan) released a few years back, with english translation successfully kickstarted some time after that/ Its quite popular. They have also ported the ruleset over to other games, like Coriolis (a space-Arabian setting in the far future) and recently successfully kickstarted a fantasy based game called Forbidden Lands. Hopefully this last one will be made into a cRPG as well.

Anyhoo, mutated animals aside this will be a day 1 purchase for me as long as its relatively bug free; I liked Firaxis X-Com a lot, combat was very satisfying.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I don't even know what kind of stunt do you need too pull to get a leveled soldier killed in SimsCom but what if you say is true, it's even worse because the basic game design makes you stoop to save scamming meta gaming practices to even push forward. What made Ufo great was the fact it felt like a proper asymmetrical warfare against stronger enemy, where, like in every strategic game since conception of chess, it actually takes losses to achieve something meaningful not a snowflaked rag tag merry band of cunts wearing funny hats in a delusional power craze.
The point is: the rookies you start with die easily before being leveled up. Most I/I campaigns end because of a lack of leveled up soldiers in month 1.
I completely agree about the unwelcome shift from a meatgrinder simulator to a Power Ranger/pokemon training game.

Ramenos

Literate
When I was watching the Trailer, I understood more why they did compare it to XCom. Forget the number of characters, just focus on the gameplay mechanics.

Anyway, seems really interesting. Based on the fact we are leading 3 heroes, I don't think you can really die, yes? I mean The 3 characters seem to have a dedicated story, they don't seem replacable by a random recruit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom