Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Bohr

Arcane
Good old HyperRpg putting their video behind a paywall. Watched some of that yesterday and it wasn't the best anyway, at least CohhCarnage didn't have some of the more intrusive streamer shit

ArchAngel

Arcane
Am I the only person that finds it a bad idea to have events where some answers give you just a bonus and others just a penalty?
That kind of kills it for any additional playthrough as you will know the right answer and always get something good.
Shouldn't they all be made so you get something good and bad from them?

Bohr

Arcane
Am I the only person that finds it a bad idea to have events where some answers give you just a bonus and others just a penalty?
That kind of kills it for any additional playthrough as you will know the right answer and always get something good.
Shouldn't they all be made so you get something good and bad from them?

Some further details on this, seems there will be a bit of replayability given these factors:

Oj0eYw.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ah so events have some random roll connected with them.. hmm I can see how people will complain they need to savescum all the time in their game because of this (same retards that savescummed boxes in WL2 to get better stuff from them and complained afterwards).

Bohr

Arcane
Had a bit of time to watch more of these streams and I must say the sim game and management aspects are better than I expected, seems like HBS deserve some credit for that. Of the streams so far:

HyperRPG - Avoid, terrible stream, also full of Twitch retardation. VOD behind a paywall anyway :M

Paradox Stream - Merc Campaign Overview - Much better than I expected in the end, you get a good sense of the Argo and economic sim, mechbay, contracts, etc. Almost stopped watching in the first ten minutes as it was a bit awkward but things settled down and became interesting to watch. Yes, it has Kiva, so should appeal to Codexers :shittydog:

CohhCarnage
- Becomes enjoyable, the guy is learning as he goes along so may be initially frustrating to grognards but he doesn't make a big deal of acting like a cretin and picks up things in a reasonable time - actually a good look at how new players may find this. Some spoilers but only of the very early tutorial and first missions so not the end of the world.

HBS have only given streamers access/permission to a certain early point in the story. If one doesn't want spoilers and wants a quick overview of the mechbay and management aspects then part six of the CohhCarnage stream is just him discovering the Leopard (don't have the Argo yet) for the first time so doesn't really touch on the story and is shorter and more basic than the PDX stream with HBS:
https://youtu.be/6J6L9ycQ6Go

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yea I have been watching Cohh for the last two days of him streaming Battletech and it was fun to learn the game along with him. I am pretty hyped to play it myself once it is out. Even the tactical battles looked to have more meat on the bones than I originally expected.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well it's fairly damn obvious to do a sequel, considering the most famous/popular event of the setting is around the corner.

But since it's subtitled Restoration rather than Revival (even if that wouldn't be all that obvious to those unfamiliar), that might not be what's happening.

EDIT: Besides, IMO HBS has a very good track record with sequels, I'd definately look forward to BattleTech's Dragonfall and Hong Kong equivalents.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ah so events have some random roll connected with them.. hmm I can see how people will complain they need to savescum all the time in their game because of this (same retards that savescummed boxes in WL2 to get better stuff from them and complained afterwards).

Actually, that is a good point. I think these events work better as trade offs(sacrificing something to get something else, or short term vs long term) or skill checks (to make you feel better about putting points in skills that don't see much combat use).

Well it's fairly damn obvious to do a sequel, considering the most famous/popular event of the setting is around the corner.

But since it's subtitled Restoration rather than Revival (even if that wouldn't be all that obvious to those unfamiliar), that might not be what's happening.

EDIT: Besides, IMO HBS has a very good track record with sequels, I'd definately look forward to BattleTech's Dragonfall and Hong Kong equivalents.
I hope they make it Dragonfall rather than HK.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
So does Space Hijab lady mean that the Abrahamic religions (judism, chrisitanity, islam) survive in the 31st century? I always assumed from the novels and lore that they disappeared a long time to be replaced by new space religions/ideologies. Or maybe it is just a cultural fashion thing like House Kurita having Kimono's and Katanas.

The pronouns thing is a real eye roller though. This is a universe where humans have gone back to monarchies over democratic republics and engage in constant territorial warfare. Hell, in Mechwarrior Dark Age the attempt at a democratic multicultural republic with the Republic of the Sphere ends in complete failure with fighting breaking out among old House and Clan lines. The entire theme of the series seems to be that democracy and pluralism are doomed to be destroyed by human tribalism and greed. What I'm getting at is it feels very out of place in the Battletech Universe.

Cool name

Arcane
So does Space Hijab lady mean that the Abrahamic religions (judism, chrisitanity, islam) survive in the 31st century? I always assumed from the novels and lore that they disappeared a long time to be replaced by new space religions/ideologies. Or maybe it is just a cultural fashion thing like House Kurita having Kimono's and Katanas.
nah old religions always survived but often in a changed form. iirc the Davions are Catholic, albeit a New Avalon based branch (I'd assume the split came during the Amaris occupation of Earth, since I don't doubt the Pope and all cardinals were murdered and replaced with puppets the FedSuns clergy would refuse to listen to). Hell, there were even Thuggee cultists floating around at some point. Muslims are meant to be less common bc they weren't as eager as others to fuck off of Earth during the first big round of colonization+exploration, but presumably they're around. new space religions are of course a thing too, most regrettably the Blakists

Agree that the whole pronoun thing is very very silly though. both in general and especially in the context of the setting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom