Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
my first playthrough of PoE was on my previous rig I averaged 20-24 fps (17-19fps in defiance bay) using 1152 by 648 resolution.

(had to edit the games registry entry to enable that resolution).

people whine too much about fps the game isnt street fighter you dont need to confirm links and shit. that said the main reason I even replayed PoE a 2nd time was to play it at proper fps when I bought my current rig...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95782-worldofeternity-funny-business-speculation/?p=1989823

Bestiary 11: APDPmj

And more codes: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95782-worldofeternity-funny-business-speculation/?p=1988970

Some new Deadfire media circulating today. Code, codes, and more codes!!!

WgE69K balcony on right

tg2b3r circular carpet on middle-left table

KUyE6X stern of ship

vitshR? left cell

Missed one from yesterday.

5Vtwje - furled sail in the middle of the image

Versus Evil tweet from today.

k3PrK2w.jpeg

Mazisky

Magister
Both PoE 1 and Poe 2 beta run like crap with my Geforce 1070.

I can play any other ultragraphics 3d modern game with 60 fps. It's clearly a shitty engine.

Somehow 2d must be hard to optimize. I remember lot of 2d isometric games that run bad, even Simcity 4 may be clunky with a modern pc.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
PoE is not 2D, it's entirely 3D with the map actually being the floor/a flat surface, but drawn like an optical illusion. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

Mazisky

Magister
PoE is not 2D, it's entirely 3D with the map actually being the floor/a flat surface, but drawn like an optical illusion. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

Not really, PoE is 2d with some 3d elements like characters and objects.

"map being flat" as you say means actually 2d.

If i remember correctly even the dynamic lighting is not real but simulated by many tricks on 2d renders

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
No, I actually mean that PoE is entirely 3D. If you flip the camera in an over-the-shoulder perspective of a character, you'll actually see that it's an entirely 3D space and the map is the floor of that 3D space. Does someone have the tweet where that thing was shown?

KK1001

Arbiter
How much has changed in the base game since launch? Probably a lot, but looking to replay it in anticipation of the second.

Are the combat encounters still pretty lifeless?

Mazisky

Magister
No, I actually mean that PoE is entirely 3D. If you flip the camera in an over-the-shoulder perspective of a character, you'll actually see that it's an entirely 3D space and the map is the floor of that 3D space. Does someone have the tweet where that thing was shown?

I know that video and that's why i'm saying it's 2d. But now i am confused.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I know that video and that's why i'm saying it's 2d. But now i am confused.

The map is a flat surface on which the characters walk upright on, but the space is 3D. Imagine a rectangular room with no walls in which you are standing up, the edges of the room where the walls are supposed to be are the edges of the painted map. This is what each level in PoE is, a 3D room without walls. The magic comes into play when the camera has a fixed perspective and you are looking from a particular angle at the floor on which the map is painted. Yes, the map itself is obviously 2D, in that it's painted on a flat surface, but the actual game is entirely 3D because of that room. It's kind of hard to explain without the video.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The Game Analists

Go into one of those ares where you start chugging and turn off feedback circles in options menu (turn off circles and combat tooltips)

report back

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The Game Analists

yeah the feedback UI elements (especially unit circles) are huge resource hog. terrible design. This is further compounded by the fact that combat tooltips are bundled together with feedback Circles so you cant have one without the other.

Even stuff like having NPC name-plates onscreen measurably impacts performance on low-end rigs. Truly awe-inspiring programming work on obsidians part.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
The thing holding me back from getting hyped for this particular game is I don't want to play a pirate who robs people's hard-earned (or ill-earned) wealth. Why is the Watcher now a pirate?

Last edited:

Gremius

Augur
Map is a flat picture... animated elements are in 3D ( NPC's palms... etc) trough magic of normal and depth maps game come to life etc etc.
I think map is a flat texture (picture) placed on flat polygons at 3D space.

Just like in Final Fantasy games for PlayStation.

fcNyacX.png

This is wireframe screenshot of Final Fantasy VII. You can see that not only character models are made of polygons but also the (flat) background. This is 3D space with fixed camera.

So technically, it's still a 3D graphics. I believe most "2D" games are made with same technique nowadays.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
The thing holding me back from getting hyped for this particular game is I don't want to play a pirate who robs people's hard-earned (or ill-earned) wealth. Why is the Watcher now a pirate?
You're not a pirate, you're a ship captain. There's no plunder unless you go out plundering.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
BTW here are those new screenshots:

Why doesn't Obsidian put these on the game's website?
They really went all in on that ship thing. Sawyer wasn't kidding. Even got a management system. Not sure how I feel about it.

I do like that they aren't half-assing it like they did the stronghold in PoE. That thing was fucking pointless.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
BTW here are those new screenshots:

Why doesn't Obsidian put these on the game's website?
They really went all in on that ship thing. Sawyer wasn't kidding. Even got a management system. Not sure how I feel about it.

I do like that they aren't half-assing it like they did the stronghold in PoE. That thing was fucking pointless.

I am cautiously optimistic. I hope it has depth with some really edge lord optional bosses out there.
I love "minigame" type systems in games that I can fuck around with.. I may change my opinion if it turns out to be shit.

Prime Junta

Note the time logged.

He did say later that this was before they implemented act changes; in the current build he would be in Act 2. Still a big game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom