Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Nooo, the crazy monkey from hell killed my exotic waifu!

That means war, we need to purge the aliens and the Turks!

Episode IV. Unidentified Flying Object

“Don't you believe in flying saucers, they ask me? Don't you believe in telepathy? — in ancient astronauts? — in the Bermuda triangle? — in life after death?
No, I reply. No, no, no, no, and again no.
One person recently, goaded into desperation by the litany of unrelieved negation, burst out "Don't you believe in anything?"
Yes", I said. "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”
Isaac Asimov

8eTLcl0.png

Meet the new recruits of the Bureau! Perhaps they're the beginning of an effective alien investigation and elite fighting force.

Soldier Types Designation Suffixes I use:
ST = Scout
CC = Close Combat
AR = Assault Rifle
RF = Rifleman
HW = Heavy Weapons
SP = Sniper
CO = Commander
One of the above + E = Denotes that the soldier is Elite and at top of their class due to their very good stats.

cAHhGUq.png

ZCJ2JXc.png

PW0l80T.png

h0kh65U.png

nHEphkz.png

7Uj7eLb.png

cmCajiY.png

7DNLwB2.png
]

We send for more personnel. I have a feeling they shall be necessary.

A47VEv1.png

Alright guys, let's try to race a ultrasonic UFO from space with a rental/stolen car and plane tickets!

bRBwB9D.png

fDToMYI.png

nEOXe8p.png

gY25FEN.png

XCdqhIt.png

MtI9OPzg.png

Trouble in... Qatar, is that it?

BYkv0x1.png

r78vBGX.png

YES! Time to storm the UFO! THE ALIEN TECHNOLOGY SHALL BE MINE!!

uLxiGTl.png

lrx9pKz.png

sPhhr9p.png

Fuck stunning, our men are toting the biggest guns we can get our hands on right now. Which doesn't mean much, but its something.

ynrAwXi.png

6tr3qy1.png

Note: This is a night mission.

RwkMK2f.png

Nothing around our six. We have a few flares and a flashlight.

Hollow, Hollow, this is Core. Orders are to take targets down, then salvage what is possible and leave area immediately. Do not attempt capture. Repeat, do not attempt capture. Lethal Force authorized. Avoid long engagements. Do NOT engage more than one target at once. Stay in cover, repeat, stay in cover. Under no circumstances attempt to board or storm alien vessel. Over and out.

Orders are given, weapons are loaded and prepared, and our soldiers are set to work.

What follows is a suspenseful hunt through dark buildings.
U5DurEU.png

rQ5cBju.png

UYbzOvm.png

I7kf4wV.png

xC9bWw3.png

lnySfc6.png

ACx7ha3.png

Our men perceive something: They did not go through the other door to the outside. Logical conclusion: Alien presence.

MBOMHlK.png

YiLWr5M.png

juZGKQy.png

VKUTQvT.png

DBO0AjI.png

K4iz9EW.png

2G5DJlN.png

7fJjG38.png

Top floor clear, no enemy assailants detected from there.
tAsGC8h.png

cPJk33T.png

nGr4vD7.png

It was then that SHOTS ARE FIRED!!

cbW0Wan.png

pOjab7k.png

The creature is here! Firing unknown projectiles of considerable firepower, agent Roxor is grievously hurt, but manages to survive, stand and fight.

This is officially the first time an alien fires a shot against a human in... whatever emotion such alien beings feel.

Will history say that this was the shot heard around the world? Perhaps the galaxy?

o14JcEr.png

M3qwwBx.png

DuZELfi.png

89sNwWm.png

Agent Darth Roxor takes the fight to the alien! However, the unnatural creature survives several shots of .45mm bullets!

kyJjMt7.png

Darth Roxor seeks cover!
jNL4DIJ.png

His companion prepares to help.

XuKACqN.png

The alien is shot, yet manages to stand tall. Perhaps it has some alien protection of unknown technological provenance?

9xwsUFk.png

The alien gets Agent Roxor in its sights, and then...

pUE05kJ.png

9kxrreD.png

Zdzsiu prepares in case things get hectic in close-quarters combat.
AqToWns.png

Agent Roxor is down!

RIP Darth Roxor :salute:
First to drawn First Blood against the Alien Menace, and the First to fall in glorious battle.
But not the last.

ROvD5No.png

S2cFrXJ.png

Zdzsiu is down with a ball of plasma to the back!

:salute: Zdzsiu, brave agent killed by alien cowardice

HypLBmv.png

The radio goes nearly silent, only the sound of sizzling human flesh being heard over the comms.

bAwYimN.png

PSH1GyE.png

uxzCzze.png

Guess we need to get a new car, for starters...

lightbane

Arcane
One person recently, goaded into desperation by the litany of unrelieved negation, burst out "Don't you believe in anything?"
Yes", I said. "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”

Funny thing that this guy wrote the Three Robotic Laws despite everything.

Also, I see you met the new Sectoids, now stronger than ever. I started a new playthrough inspired by your LP, these guys have regenerating shields now and thus are deadly, despite being the basic alien mooks.

On the plus side, they still let you detect good psi-candidates and bad ones through their usage of mind-control attacks. Also, if you mid-click someone, now you'll see that some info is obscured, in order to balance the fact that before you could tell even the alien's rank by viewing their paperdoll.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Pity about roxor and zdzsiu eating plasma. I'm just amazed that you managed to catch up to the UFO with the rental car.
Maybe the UFO wanted to be caught?

So it could murder the very first and best agents Earth had?

To stop the X-Com project in its infancy?

Makes you think!

Also, remove Sectoids! Remove Sectoids!

Funny thing that this guy wrote the Three Robotic Laws despite everything.

Also, I see you met the new Sectoids, now stronger than ever. I started a new playthrough inspired by your LP, these guys have regenerating shields now and thus are deadly, despite being the basic alien mooks.

On the plus side, they still let you detect good psi-candidates and bad ones through their usage of mind-control attacks. Also, if you mid-click someone, now you'll see that some info is obscured, in order to balance the fact that before you could tell even the alien's rank by viewing their paperdoll.

Kinda ironic, when you think about it.

Fuck, that thing just casually tanked multiple .45 bullets. That would have probably killed most human enemies. All the aliens got massively boosted, didn't they? Which does make sense.
I didn't say it but there was an attempt of mind-control, but it failed. Maybe I could have killed if Zdzsiu stabbed it over and over with a knife and had lots of TUs, or gave it some point-blank shotgun fire

Is that why I'm seeing cultists as "Exalt" or "Cult of Dagon"?

Literally me/insmac

Pity about roxor and zdzsiu eating plasma. I'm just amazed that you managed to catch up to the UFO with the rental car.

Only because I stopped chasing and started sending the car to the direction the UFO goes instead. So it was my luck that it stopped.

Oh cool,I'm in.

That low bravery is gonna be a problem, isn't it.

Zdzsiu, Roxor :salute:.

Don't worry, low bravery doesn't mean anything if you die too quickly to panic.
Low Bravery troops will never, ever get to carry the heavy weaponry, through.

X-COM is very accepting and inclusive, there's a place for everyone in this organization, we never waste men. UFO Defense is a ever-growing industry that always has more spots than hires. The pay is high (40k per month), very meritocratic, and the chance for promotion and ascension through the ranks is high and fast.

Wow, haven't heard about this mod. Looks pretty kewl.
Count me in bro!

Get in the car faggot
We're going to fight some alien conspiracies
CodeX-COM Needs YOU!

lightbane

Arcane
Wow, that was fast. And yeah, don't forget rule number 1 of XCOM: Never act in the first turn if you can (unless you're playing Piratez).

Also, Slaughter, some important info for you:

DO NOT TRY THE GANG WARS event!

That mission is completely broken and unplayable at the moment, it spawns a LARGE number of enemies and way too many civvies that are slaughtered in the first turn and that's in lower difficulties. In higher ones the number of targets ramps up to the stratosphere to the point that it's nearly impossible to win without suffering severe loses and major score drops, because the entire civilian time will die in no time.

On the plus side, I discovered that for good or bad, prisons and animal pens are broken once again and have infinite space, so feel free to capture as much as you can!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
it's kinda dumb how the starting dude limit on the ground is just 2 dudes

lightbane

Arcane
Not focusing on Logistics at the start gives you that. Also, night mission yet he carries no lightsources, not even a flashlight.

I think Braz is a bit rusty, but he'll get better.

God damn it. Died before I could deploy my race card against the Xenos. Avenge me my friends. Ask those bastards for reparations for enabling my oppression.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah I'm in!
And I'm already dead:negative:.
At least my poor showing was equal to the rest of the agents.

Not focusing on Logistics at the start gives you that. Also, night mission yet he carries no lightsources, not even a flashlight.

He took three flares, but it doesn't look like he used them.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Tbf Mulder and Scully wouldn't fare any better here, with aliens this murderous Xfiles would have been over 10 mins into the first episode.

Gave this a try. Pretty easy so far IMO (Colt .45/Magnum + short shotgun ftw), but the tech is really hard to figure out. How are you intended to progress? Starting with max 5 researchers and I have around 30 available projects from various dissections and interrogations + random other stuff. Is there a way to beeline for a real laboratory or do I need to spend $3M for more headquarters?

lightbane

Arcane
Gave this a try. Pretty easy so far IMO (Colt .45/Magnum + short shotgun ftw), but the tech is really hard to figure out. How are you intended to progress? Starting with max 5 researchers and I have around 30 available projects from various dissections and interrogations + random other stuff. Is there a way to beeline for a real laboratory or do I need to spend $3M for more headquarters?

Labs won't be available for a long, long time (aka Promotion 2). You'll need to interrogate suspects and their organization to unlock "mini-labs" like the Intelligence Center, Medicine for the Bio Lab and so on. Each one will let you get more scientists. Otherwise, the tech tree viewer is your friend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom