Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

agris

Arcane
Patron
The demo was real-time combat dodge-roll shit with HP sponge enemies, fyi.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Oof, HeroCraft, eh? Well...hopefully they're a better publisher than porting service.

polo

Magister
New Steam page & publisher announcement
Posted by Studio MONO (Creator)

Hello everyone! Today we want to show you our new Steam page and finally reveal the name of game’s publisher. Let’s roll...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNbGbR_2IIQ
-

First of all, we were legally able to keep “Insomnia” as the name for our project. To make this possible we had to add some additional elements to the title, thus the game will be distributed as “INSOMNIA: The Ark” on Steam and other platforms.

Everything just got serious

Check this Steam page out and bookmark it! The new page will be regularly updated with the latest info, screenshots and other media. If you’ve been subscribed to our old page – don’t worry, we will continue updating it for some time. Although, it is strongly recommended that you follow the new Steam page if you want to leave feedback and stay in touch with the development team.

e6ulgM1_kmT-tes-7CFCabjKs5sh7CxACGmkPt7hJHDJU6JEPAijUT18HwKvXDzuWJVfy5u7xRlT1_hqjxlm1rGtRmTvIGubdwKZE4dBR6y_l1kAzrF9Og2SzdcSylIYBhQdfSHbQSYgdEy5H_9PclOMGlvl2FrtNWpTYy52KCCZCf2L0Z6KVYkLxg1wCImCWmarYbxrkuqDczdxTfnIpEb56lF1itmGUqGYp7chpiA5kX9ns2KL9s3Tl0KaXWsKguVkHXuqyfNz=s0-d-e1-ft

Don't mess with the dragon
We are also happy to announce that Insomnia is going to be published by HeroCraft, a successful publishing company and a game industry veteran that has been around for the last 15 years. One of their latest titles is a game called Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf, set in the iconic universe from Games Workshop. Being focused on indie developers, HeroCraft let us keep all of the intellectual property rights related to Insomnia which was a huge “yes” for us as well.

HeroCraft will give us an opportunity to continue improving the final product while they keep an eye on the following things:

• Negotiations with Steam. Most of you are probably aware that Valve had shut down Steam Greenlight some time ago, which means the rules of getting the game out to the world have changed. We still consider Steam as the starting point for INSOMNIA’s release and it’s very important for us to make this process as smooth as possible. This is where HeroCraft steps in with all of their experience and connections with Valve. Succeeding in this area means securing additional funds for the studio and keeping all of the developers working on the game.
  • Localization assistance. Unfortunately localization turned out to be the weakest point of the project which resulted in our beta-test being postponed. Finally, thanks to HeroCraft, we are able to boost this process.
  • QA and Technical support. Currently our team consists of 12 developers and each one of them is constantly occupied with improving Insomnia in every possible way. This means we will not be able to collect and process all of the feedback related to technical issues by ourselves. HeroCraft’s QA department will collect user feedback, carry out internal testing and report on these issues in a timely manner. This should allow us to fix as many bugs as humanly possible before launch.
  • Press outreach. As a publisher HeroCraft will assist with proper media coverage for Insomnia and help drive more attention of the gaming community to the game. Which is always a good thing ;).
Another long-overdue issue that HeroCraft will help solve is the game’s website, which is in dire need of getting a facelift.

Stay tuned: next stop – beta test!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Zombra it very well might be better now, that demo was released in September of 2015. I suggest watching a current gameplay video before being too despaired.

Farewell into the night

I don't know. I have a strange feelng I won't like it despite cool art.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
as long they don't dumb down the promising system from the demo too much :negative:

It's already dumbed-down.

Edit: To be honest, despite the obvious decline this game could be something special.

Based on the demo I cannot say that the quest design is great or that the combat mechanics are good but the atmosphere was top notch and that's why I have hopes for it.

Most likely we will get a good main course with a side of shit.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Insomnia: The Ark is a 'dieselpunk' RPG that echoes BioShock and Fallout

After years in development, Insomnia is due in 2018.
Mono Studio's Insomnia: The Ark is a story-driven RPG, set within a "colossal space metropolis" that's "brimming with the secrets of a long-gone civilization." As you may already know, it's been in development for several years—but now targets a 2018 launch, with the backing of publisher HeroCraft.

Filled with both hostile and friendly factions, a wealth of character customisation options, a thriving world packed with sidequests, and, as you'll see below, an ensemble of terrifying Big Daddy-esque baddies, Insomnia: The Ark isn't lacking ambition.

Hang on, is that dude's helmet made of human skulls? Yikes.

After waking up on retro-futuristic planet Object 6, players find themselves stricken with a rare psychological disease and must set off in search of a cure. En route, you'll craft equipment and items which aid survival—and a flexible perks system helps you sidestep unnecessary grind.

"Insomnia offers an intricate, non-linear storyline with ‘points of no return’. Navigate a system of thorny relations with characters and factions and make tough decisions that affect the game world," explains the game's Steam page blurb. "Each major problem can be solved using a variety of different (and sometimes unexpected) solutions.

"Experience the game’s rich lore through retro-futuristic noir visuals with elements of dieselpunk. Witness man-made apocalyptic landscapes imbued with a dark noir jazz soundtrack and echoes of a decaying civilization."

No hard launch date as yet, but Insomnia: The Ark is due at some stage in 2018.

No new info :/

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Hey people! We are here to answer your questions. Thanks for keeping interest to our game during all these years :). Come also visit our new Steam page sometimes :D.

Thanks for being absent ... like 2 years. Just kidding :)

Please consider posting your updates on the codex. I'm sick of checking facebook, twitter and other sources.

INSOMNIA_The_Ark

Studio Mono
Developer
Please consider posting your updates on the codex. I'm sick of checking facebook, twitter and other sources.
Ok, you got it :).

Okay who are you and what have you done to Guyduk?
I'm the guy who manages all KS, FB and Twitter updates for INSOMNIA since 2015. Unfortunately Guyduk is too busy with developing the game.

So, I donated trough PayPal on your old site. Is there any baker portal coming our way anytime soon or what?
We can always address donations through PayPal report services so don't worry about that. We would really want to launch a baker portal but it seems like we will have to handle everything in manual mode until that happens.

INSOMNIA_The_Ark

Studio Mono
Developer
KS is always #1 when it comes to updates. Sure, I post some tiny stuff like screenshots and trivia on social media as it seems to be a more appropriate place to share things like these. Anyway ever since I got this work to do the idea was to have at least 1 update per month plus answering any questions in the comments etc. which I still do for both campaigns.

PS. just found the first ever update I did for KS. Sweet memories :D.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some questions:
1. Are the skill system/ attribute and perk mechanics from the demo several years ago still in?

2. Non combat checks, how viable are diplomat playtrough or asshole intimidating playtrough?

3. Are there exclusive factions to join or specific questlines with branching path exclusive to each other?

4. How do you balance an action RPG with both gun combat and melee combat? Like most if not all action rpg with gun and melee have enemies stupidly charging into line of fire because thats the only way they hit you, which result usually in bloated HP so they survive the trip between their initial position to melee range.

5. The general design of object 6, is it gonna be a free roam locations with locked secrets and stuff akin to system shock / metroidvania, or it is a typical rpg progression where you go place to play, sometimes backtracking, but overall a linear adventure?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
What have you done to old, slick, mega awesome UI and which ex Ubisoft employee or simply person alergic to beauty you hired is responsible for it? Can old UI be resurrected for example via option in settings: UI/ Cool UI for men with refined tastes - on/off. Or simply UI - Inclined version/ Declined version.

How much of game's initial vision which was pretty hardcore, original Fallout inspired, RPG heavy has been sacrifed on the altar (ATM) of Dollar god?

Have you in last (more than a) few years during game's production walked the same path of Decline and reached the same destination as Prophet of Balance Josh Sawyer has recently reached after 20 years making 'evolutionary dead-end', inferior race RPGs with pesky stats which are only an obstacle on RPG evolution to highest level an RPG can reach and that's RPG fur alle,ya! ? If you did, at least it took you much less time.

In short, if you sold out, I hope the money, coke and whores were good. Like really good. Cause this game was so bloody promising. Or that you snorted your coke of whore's back and produced Inclined RPG. I hope your boss had high enough charisma to do both of it.

INSOMNIA_The_Ark

Studio Mono
Developer
1. Are the skill system/ attribute and perk mechanics from the demo several years ago still in?
There was an update regarding this recently although currently the role-playing system is being reviewed and updated to be more effective and relevant.

2. Non combat checks, how viable are diplomat playtrough or asshole intimidating playtrough?
There's no separate "smooth talker" skill inside the game. Got that question addressed in an update I linked to above.

3. Are there exclusive factions to join or specific questlines with branching path exclusive to each other?
Yes, and it's not possible to do everything in one walkthrough. You do either this or that, get these people pissed and face the consequences etc. My favourite part is that there's usually no such thing as "good choice". So when you think that "this is probably a right thing to do in this circumstances", this will end up really bad haha.

4. How do you balance an action RPG with both gun combat and melee combat? Like most if not all action rpg with gun and melee have enemies stupidly charging into line of fire because thats the only way they hit you, which result usually in bloated HP so they survive the trip between their initial position to melee range.
First of all we have cover system (some of those covers are destructible though), and all combat situations are designed in a way that you can hide from direct fire. This is helpful both for melee and ranged approach. If you choose to be a melee type of guy you would really want to use shields (which can also be combined with small guns which is really cool) that can effectively protect you from most types of ranged attacks at least for some time (shields get destroyed as well), quite enough though to get close to your target and punish it. And don't forget you can always use grenades to take out your enemies if everything looks too bad for you (and you have a grenade).

5. The general design of object 6, is it gonna be a free roam locations with locked secrets and stuff akin to system shock / metroidvania, or it is a typical rpg progression where you go place to play, sometimes backtracking, but overall a linear adventure?
Currently you discover locations when you get associated quests. After this happens you can visit them in any given order and pick all or any side quests associated with them. Which basically means you can totally miss some really nasty (in a good way) location just because you ignored talking to this or that NPC which makes it even more interesting when the time comes for second playthrough.

INSOMNIA_The_Ark

Studio Mono
Developer
What have you done to old, slick, mega awesome UI and which ex Ubisoft employee or simply person alergic to beauty you hired is responsible for it? Can old UI be resurrected for example via option in settings: UI/ Cool UI for men with refined tastes - on/off. Or simply UI - Inclined version/ Declined version.
Technically this is possible. I loved the old UI as well, however I can't say the current UI is bad. It is simple, yes, however it makes sense and feels good when you play the game. I mean it doesn't distract you which is a good thing. We still have all those sexy item icons though and they really rock.

Regarding everything else - we are a small indie development team, not some hideous evil corporation. I understand that you are pissed with all the delays and some of the changes we have introduced throughout all this time. However we honestly believe that all our decisions (or at least most of them) regarding the game itself make sense. Anyway we are still having a closed beta for our backers planed for the nearest future, which means we are about to receive some valuable feedback that is going to affect the final product.

Even though I'm not an active member of the development process myself, I had a chance to test the game quite heavily. People who like to read will be quite pleased with the amount of dialogues, journal notes, lore bits, books and the story itself. This world has an epic lore and well thought background which makes you believe this is actually happening. Soundtrack and visuals are beautiful, especially if you are into ambient music, dark-jazz, noir, art-deco, retro-futurism and dieselpunk. Crafting is very helpful and makes sense, just as hardcore elements like a necessity to eat and drink, fix your weapons and equipment. All I'm trying to say - this game has soul and I'm really pleased I'm involved with it.

So long story short - we didn't sell out (I would really want though! Money wise being an indie dev sucks haha), as we still do the game we love. And we really hope it will meet your expectations.

PS. oh boy, I just got through all 20+ pages. So many nerves would be saved if I was aware of this discussion. Well, it's never too late :D

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
There was an update regarding this recently although currently the role-playing system is being reviewed and updated to be more effective and relevant.
okay so 4 main attributes, 5 non-combat skill, 5 melee skill, and 5 ranged skill that isn't bad. back to the topic of non-combat skillchecks. aside from the obvious hacking computers or lockpicking, will any of them be use if someone wants to solve a problem without plunging into murdering? this also ties with the level design, quest design and the general game design.

so far i like what you said in the referenced update:
So let's say you've invested some of your skill points into Explosives. How exactly this can help you on your way through Object 6? Other than disarming landmines there are certain situations that can have a really dramatic outcome. One of the missions you will get while playing InSomnia is help with handling the revolt that was started by the group of most miserable and poor segments of Ark's population -- the Getters.

As a part of your task you are being sent into tunnels to search for any saboteurs who could possibly use the revolt to distract the attention of the Ordinate, the army-like fraction of Object 6. On your way through the tunnels you are being attacked by saboteurs indeed and next thing you know - they planned to blow up the local military checkpoint by setting up the massive amounts of explosives beneath.
If you happen to be handy enough you will be able to disarm those explosives... well, just in case. In the end you will face a young guy holding a detonator in his shaking hand. Disarming the bombs previously will prevent him from blowing up the checkpoint in case you won't be able to talk him out of this. Otherwise you will end up with your fellow soldiers get killed and basically fail your commander.

So disarming the bombs or persuading the young saboteur to get his fingers away from the detonator button seems like a perfect outcome for everyone (well the guy is going to jail obviously), but is it really it? And what happens to the revolting crowd? Live shows that sometimes there's no such thing as happy ending...

i hope this design philosophy resonate into the whole game. the lack of speech skill can be easily circumvented with design that incorporate gameplay elements and player actions into the dialogue itself and choices/consequences. some would argue it is even better than your usual skillcheck

the answer for question 3 is satisfying enough.

First of all we have cover system (some of those covers are destructible though), and all combat situations are designed in a way that you can hide from direct fire. This is helpful both for melee and ranged approach. If you choose to be a melee type of guy you would really want to use shields (which can also be combined with small guns which is really cool) that can effectively protect you from most types of ranged attacks at least for some time (shields get destroyed as well), quite enough though to get close to your target and punish it. And don't forget you can always use grenades to take out your enemies if everything looks too bad for you (and you have a grenade).
seems good, for the players. what about the enemy AI though? most RPG don't even bother programming AI that can use cover to their advantages and i admit it can be a hard thing to do. what about the enemy synergy? it would be so awesome if they actually work together, like a ranged fore shoot you providing covering fire while his giant ass fucking wielding hammer closes on you and rip you a new hole.
this has been a problem with most action RPG, even for games that i think a masterpiece like gothic have problems with, the general mindlessness of the AI. while with turn based games, it is easier to program the bot into something that resemble some degree of intelligence and capable of tactics.

Currently you discover locations when you get associated quests. After this happens you can visit them in any given order and pick all or any side quests associated with them. Which basically means you can totally miss some really nasty (in a good way) location just because you ignored talking to this or that NPC which makes it even more interesting when the time comes for second playthrough.
:cainapproves:

and yes, please bring back the old UI :(

some other new questions:

1. also i am too lazy to sift trough several years worth of updates, but i do want some highlight of what the perks are there and what effect they will have. like will it be just put _% into some stats or have some interesting effects? recent game that have interesting effect is kingdom come: deliverance usually. some of the perks are mutually exclusive and each one you put drive you towards a certain build. like the scholar perk will increase your reading but decrease strength, or the perk that makes horse slower, but run longer or vice versa. i think the use of perks should have consequences and trade-ins to make builds more unique. lose some, gain some kinda thing.

2. will all NPCs be killable and is it a viable way to finish the game (like newer bethesda game where there are immortal NPCs or morrowind where you just locked out of the story or like fallout / divinity original sin that allow even a genocidal maniac finish the game somehow?

3. give the art guy some salute, because i think even if the game turned out suck, it do has great art direction and atmosphere.

yeah that's all i can think of atm.

INSOMNIA_The_Ark

Studio Mono
Developer
okay so 4 main attributes, 5 non-combat skill, 5 melee skill, and 5 ranged skill that isn't bad. back to the topic of non-combat skillchecks. aside from the obvious hacking computers or lockpicking, will any of them be use if someone wants to solve a problem without plunging into murdering? this also ties with the level design, quest design and the general game design
This game doesn't let you be a pacifist. You'll have to kill to survive. This is just how this world operates. However you can try avoid this process in certain situations or at least make this process less straightforward. So basically yes, you can pick a lock to get in a certain place to get out of sight of your enemies, or fix a generator that powers a door or some other device that will also have a direct impact on what's going on next.

You can hack a computer to disable a few nasty turrets. Stealth is also an option that will fit well melee characters or a bullet saving range weapons admirer. Sometimes you can choose not to participate in combat and pick a neutral side of things which will probably mean that someone else will suffer.

i hope this design philosophy resonate into the whole game. the lack of speech skill can be easily circumvented with design that incorporate gameplay elements and player actions into the dialogue itself and choices/consequences. some would argue it is even better than your usual skillcheck
Our initial goal was to make other skills compensate the lack of direct speech skill. For example in one of my recent play tests I've invested a few skill points into lock picking which resulted in a additional dialogue line that helped me with the completing the quest. Also when you start the game you are picking a background (biography) for your character which also has an impact on how NPCs will treat you. In other words this will open some doors for you, while closing the others. Have we ever mentioned that 12 endings for the game are planned? No? Oops. Maybe that was a secret information? Who knows!

seems good, for the players. what about the enemy AI though? most RPG don't even bother programming AI that can use cover to their advantages and i admit it can be a hard thing to do. what about the enemy synergy? it would be so awesome if they actually work together, like a ranged fore shoot you providing covering fire while his giant ass fucking wielding hammer closes on you and rip you a new hole.
this has been a problem with most action RPG, even for games that i think a masterpiece like gothic have problems with, the general mindlessness of the AI. while with turn based games, it is easier to program the bot into something that resemble some degree of intelligence and capable of tactics.
Enemies AI and combat mechanics is something we've been constantly working on. Foes do take covers and sometimes game is quite punishing - just in that way you've described. I was caught with this more than once as I usually prefer to use ranged weapons. Can't say AI is supernaturally good, however it does a good job at giving you hard times once in a while.

and yes, please bring back the old UI
We get this suggestion now and then, and I really hope the team will have some time and resources to get it back there as an option at least.

1. also i am too lazy to sift trough several years worth of updates, but i do want some highlight of what the perks are there and what effect they will have. like will it be just put _% into some stats or have some interesting effects? recent game that have interesting effect is kingdom come: deliverance usually. some of the perks are mutually exclusive and each one you put drive you towards a certain build. like the scholar perk will increase your reading but decrease strength, or the perk that makes horse slower, but run longer or vice versa. i think the use of perks should have consequences and trade-ins to make builds more unique. lose some, gain some kinda thing.
From what I've seen so far perks usually give some unique abilities to your character like avoiding special encounters on global map etc. It's like a list of separate non-scalable skills. Currently the only downside of taking a perk is the fact you'll reduce the chance of getting all other ones, as the game is not super generous on giving experience points, at least now.

2. will all NPCs be killable and is it a viable way to finish the game (like newer bethesda game where there are immortal NPCs or morrowind where you just locked out of the story or like fallout / divinity original sin that allow even a genocidal maniac finish the game somehow?
I would really want an option to kill everyone in the game but this is not the case currently. Most of the civil places are combat free zones. You are just not allowed to use your weapons there. From story point of view it makes sense as you are a part of the Ordinate, a military force that has a duty to protect people and not massacre them (however you can do this anyway at certain circumstances).

3. give the art guy some salute, because i think even if the game turned out suck, it do has great art direction and atmosphere.
As far as I know it's Guyduk who is responsible for the art direction of the game as he is an artist himself.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Thanks for the answer. It isnt 100% i expect and hoped it would be, but if done right it can still be a good game regardless of my personal taste.

Good luck

INSOMNIA_The_Ark

Studio Mono
Developer
Thanks! Even though we are now closer to release than ever, we are still open to certain changes. Maybe now, or maybe post-release. So who knows :). Our main goal is to make a solid game that feels and plays good (and makes sense haha).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom