Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Released

Don Peste

Arcane
Trent Oster and Randy Pitchford, which is better and why??

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Trent Oster and Randy Pitchford, which is better and why??
Trent Oster, he is at least seems enthusiastic about these older RPGs, and just wants to make quick bucks from "enhancing" them. Randy Pitchford is a lying conman, who doesn't admit his wrongdoing even when there are plenty of evidence to it.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
At what point does the bearded guy explain why he's wearing that silly hat? I'm not watching a two our video for it.

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
Seriously, what's the deal?
BG and IWD series had beautiful pre-rendered 2D environments and so aged nicely. They 'enhanced' them with new UI, resolution pack and several tweaks (also BP was not bad) and these games keep looking good. But NWN? The graphic was lacking even in comparison to, say, VtM Redemption (2000). Now it's horrible. No party control, no tactic, pretty much generic fights. What are there to enhance?

Btw, installed Temple of Elemental Evil Enhanced Edition (Co8 mod with Temple+) few days ago and now just can't stop playing - the shit is so good...

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh wow I'm really enjoying testing these new character classes they added and playing the new campaign, the updated graphics are super good too the character models and textures are almost as good as Twitcher 3 and they included party controls too? Bravo Beamdog.

Really struggling on this new Beamdog campaign it is so well written and challenging! it makes Swordflight look like Swordlight. I'm enjoying how they added the option to select any chromatic dragon when making a dragon disciple not just red. Black Dragon disciple is my new favorite character class the acid immunity is too good.

huskarls

Scholar
Roguey https://web.archive.org/web/20050205222300/http://www.bioware.com:80/bioware_info/about/ Neverwinter Nights and its expansions have sold more than 2.6 million copies worldwide so far (2005) (three expansions and three editions)

Baldur's gate, released in 1998 has sold over 2 million units for PC and has won many industry awards; in 1999, BioWare released Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, a Baldur's Gate expansion pack. It debuted at #1 worldwide and sold over 600,000 units

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, was released in Sept. 2000 and continued the award winning story line of the Baldur's Gate series, selling nearly 1.5 million units so far; in June 2001 Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal was released, the expansion pack to the award winning Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn, and the conclusion to the Baldur's Gate series, selling more than 500,000 units

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic- more than two million

http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/02/09/left-4-dead-2-dragon-age-sales-hit-3-million-each Dragon age origins has shipped 3.2 million copies worldwide since its launch in November 2009. I have no DLC numbers

Every post 2005 sales mention I've ever seen puts BG, BG2, and NWN all at "over/around two million" (Bioware must hate saying 2.1 million) however any of these legacy sales would be one of their gold/diamond/platinum editions which includes NVW DLC making it impossible to give base game sales. With the numbers difference Bioware is probably placing NWN at 2 million for launch and legacy sales with each expansion at 200k launch sales, which means the DLC significantly underperformed.

https://web.archive.org/web/2008100...s.latimes.com/2007/oct/12/business/fi-games12 Here's an example with NWN at 2.2 million and BG at 2.1 million despite being 2.6 million in 2005 if they are including DLC in these numbers. Obviously NWN was a middling product and they stuff all their sales reports of it with DLC while depriving other games the same benefit

TL;DR: dragon age origins was Bioware's most financially successful 90-00 game, NWN the fifth most

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

10 new portraits for just 3 bucks.

ss_4077a50677b4c5dd82280d36b9f6b9dd9cc2b864.600x338.jpg

ss_93333d4feef009ad07410bf7c14c85f485cee247.600x338.jpg

There are thousands of better quality portraits for free and there are also free tools that let you make one easily.

Deleted member 7219

I respected Beamdog for what they did with Siege of Dragonspear because at least they tried to make something of their own, instead of trading on past glories.

I happen to think there's more that can be done with the Forgotten Realms license. Even though I haven't played SoD to completion, I was ok with the fact that it got made. The Mizhena stuff was bullshit not because it offended cis white male sensibilities but because it didn't fit with the setting. In the FR setting, people can drink a potion which changes their sex. Which kinda kills the whole identity politics thing stone dead before it even begins. It was a blatant attempt to insert identity politics into a video game, but it was a small thing, a forgettable NPC that didn't mean anything to the main plot, so I think the furore was overblown.

So what have they done since then? Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition - a re-release nobody was asking for. Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition, which had no reason for existing (the mods for widescreen are really simple to install), and it actually made the graphics worse - an act of sabotage in my opinion.

And now this. In all the games they have re-released, they have taken it upon themselves to:

a) delete the original developer's logos and make it look like they made the game in the first place
b) remove the original versions from sale from every store they can

Neverwinter Nights: EE is ridiculous. At least with the earlier ones they could say, "Hey, try playing them on modern systems. We're just making it easy." But NWN is just fine. Some modern GPUs need a slight tweak. And they've done... what, exactly? Besides replace the logos and charge for content they have had no hand in making.

Seriously, these guys are sick.

Last edited by a moderator:

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
Portrait packs again?
Heh. I usually use deviantart to find sources for my custom portraits. Top-notch and free of charge.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i gotta say charging for portraits is actually sleazier than Bethesda charging for horse armor.

Beamdog is scum.

Ol'man

Educated
You can now look at our shit graphics in 4k.

Everything else a MOD does already but give us money.

Did I get it right?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
nvn 2 EE when?

It actually would be worth money if someone were to fix the camera, make the characters more responsive, tone down the visual effects on spells, and fix the the spawn points in the OC, but Beamdog's not the company who can do it.

jdmatson

Literate
And now this. In all the games they have re-released, they have taken it upon themselves to:

a) delete the original developer's logos and make it look like they made the game in the first place
b) remove the original versions from sale from every store they can

Neverwinter Nights: EE is ridiculous. At least with the earlier ones they could say, "Hey, try playing them on modern systems. We're just making it easy." But NWN:EE is just fine. Some modern GPUs need a slight tweak. And they've done... what, exactly? Besides replace the logos and charge for content they have had no hand in making.

Seriously, these guys are sick.
So much this. I like the idea of cleaning up older games, but they insist on being so skeevy about it. That portrait pack really takes the cake, too.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
nvn 2 EE when?

It actually would be worth money if someone were to fix the camera, make the characters more responsive, tone down the visual effects on spells, and fix the the spawn points in the OC, but Beamdog's not the company who can do it.

NWN2 needs remaking more than NWN1. The UI is horrible. It has three modes of camera/movement, it is inconsistent about control over characters, it has those horrible panels for spellcasting. MotB is less playable than Planescape today.

sstacks

Arcane
I apologize for attempting to share facts, but Phil did say during our interview that they brought in a lot of folks from the mod community as devs on NWN EE and also solicited the community's feedback in general to make the "official edition" that the mod community wanted. So Beamdog didn't just take the community's work and toss them all away.

Any dev who works on a project like this has two audiences: folks like the Codex who are intimately familiar with the classic version (and who will default to kvetching), and folks who have never played the game. Suddenly, NWN is on Steam for the first time....

They are also working to get both their infinity engine and aurora engine games as cross device and OS as possible. So you could play the same game with other folks on a phone, tablet, and desktop. That feature alone could be worth the price of admission for some people, especially with a game like NWN EE where you can run your own server and build a community.

Ok, yeah I must be a shill for not being totally negative. I will stand still so you can pummel.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom