Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squad-Level Tactical Games

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Does anyone know if Mosby's Confederacy is any good?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Bionic Battle Mutants, "turn-based tactical battle game where you lead a team of imprisoned space-age criminals" It's "a must-have for every lover of profund strategic games such as Jagged Alliance, Fallout Tactics or U.F.O. games", they say.

linkfilter

Cyborgs, mutants and pin-up girls! Bionic Battle Mutants is the turn-based tactical battle game where you lead a team of imprisoned space-age criminals, who are fighting for their lives as modern gladiators on the prison planet Cerberus 7! 100% Indie from enthusiastics for enthusiastics! Developed with affectionate hand-drawn graphics, a must-have for every lover of profund strategic games such as Jagged Alliance, Fallout Tactics or U.F.O. games. High modifiable characters, elaborated crafting system and the priceless atmosphere of the 80s and 90s offer radioactive gaming experiences for every cyber-tactical player.

You'll prepare your team in the Hideout for deadly mutliplayer-matches: Build up your team with the most suitable combination of fighters and improve them with several self-crafted weapons and armors. No matter if you want to choose bionic limbs or eyes, special weapons or performance-enhancing drugs. With genetic mutations, you can form your fighter to one of the strongest gladiators, who can be feared as close combat soldiers, sniper or allrounder in each and every post-apocalyptical arena on Cerberus 7!

In the detailed, hand-drawn battle fields, you'll have to choose the position of your team wisely, use coverage and show what you got with an arsenal of bombs and grenades. There are three ways to win a match: Eliminate your opponents team, collecting more loot than your enemy or destroy his beam station, to dispel his team to the deserts of Cerberus 7.

You'll need the right strategy and balance of firepower, close combat and swiftness to get to your goal, while being a good gamer will be rewarded .

Watch out! This game concludes straight confrontation without compromise and only the best will survive!

Fact-Sheet:
- 21 missions in SP campaign
- very tactical PVP-game mode
- innovative gameplay for turnbased action that prevents idle time in PVP
- highly modifiable characters and equipment
- cool crafting-system

levgre

Novice
What tactical RPG's are people looking forward to the most? I'm still in the early stages of developing my own and want to check what the frontrunners for 2018/2019 are doing to make sure I'm not too close design wise to them. Checked out a couple so far (Alder's blood, The Iron Oath, Depth of Extinction, Thea 2: The Shattering, Urtuk: The Desolation, The Feud: Wild West Tactics).

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Bionic Battle Mutants, "turn-based tactical battle game where you lead a team of imprisoned space-age criminals" It's "a must-have for every lover of profund strategic games such as Jagged Alliance, Fallout Tactics or U.F.O. games", they say.

This looks super good! Anyone want to start a thread for it?

Actually for that matter, has anyone here tried it? There's one negative review on Steam but it is not marked as public.

Mustawd

This looks super good! Anyone want to start a thread for it?

Actually for that matter, has anyone here tried it? There's one negative review on Steam but it is not marked as public.

Lhynn , didn't you play this? Or was that YES! ?

udm , I was initially excited to play this like you are, but watching some LPs kind of dampened my enthusiasm. I forget why though.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
udm , I was initially excited to play this like you are, but watching some LPs kind of dampened my enthusiasm. I forget why though.

Was it the lack of projectiles/deterministic hit detection? That was kind of disappointing for me (I watched a gameplay vid too after posting the above :?)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Was it the lack of projectiles/deterministic hit detection? That was kind of disappointing for me (I watched a gameplay vid too after posting the above :?)
That is true, a bullet that misses just "evaporate", but it is an abstraction used in a lot of other games.
The character builds and loot are nice (it has weapon mods, drugs, long term chemical or cybernetic enhancement), but indeed, the underlying game system is too limited:
No Overwatch or any ability to do things during enemy turn.
Also, I have found the classes really imbalanced: Sniper and heavy are much stronger than runner and melee (I guess it was to be expected, though: bayonet charges against machine guns are really unhealthy).
No crouching or going prone. Going prone could be overkill given that all battles are pretty close quarter fights, though (or not, depending on the scale).
My bad, manual crouching is in, I just hadn't found it in the movement options before...

The game is rather fun for what it is (a bit like Halfway) though. It just is not Jagged Alliance 2 with cyber/mutant.
So I would consider it a "guilty pleasure" game.

Edit: I have just finished the SP game in 9 hours. I guess I was supposed to grind more, as I didn't reach the level prereq for Tiers 3 serums and implants by the end of the game (lvl 9, while my guys finished the game at level 7-8).

Fact-Sheet:
- 21 missions in SP campaign<<Didn't count, but sounds true. You can repeat them if you missed an objective, or to grind
- very tactical PVP-game mode<< Didn't try the PvP
- innovative gameplay for turnbased action that prevents idle time in PVP << Same as above
- highly modifiable characters and equipment<< True!
- cool crafting-system<<True

I had a good time with it, but the game may feel a bit short if you play for the SP alone.
That said, combat was definitely more challenging than in the SRR games or HAlfway, and more brutal too (downed characters can be permanently wounded, and lose limbs too. These can be regrown or cybernetically replaced, but damage to internal organs is final).
Overall, I would definitely recommend it on sale.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's hard enough finding good tactical games in the first place. "Runs natively on Linux" in this context is comparable to insisting that you'll only date atheist women who are also saving themselves for marriage.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I started Rebel Cops and it is nice-ish.

I wonder if I should do an AAR if people are interested.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I played Pathways, a sort of Renowned Explorers: International Society with a Pulp WW2 Theme (Nazi & Mummies) and Tactical Combat.

Tactical Combat is repetitive, and actually quite easy but grinds you down. The "expedition" part is REALLY boring. Stick to Renowned Explorers, imo one of the best games of 2017.

Last edited:

valky667

Novice
Project Haven wasn't listed yet? Still TBA, though...
One of the few games I looking forward to and developer (Russians) are quite active and post some news every now and then.
There should be a new demo and more info for the release pretty soon.

Feel free to color me stupid, if I haven't read someone else mentioning it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/443190/Project_Haven/

[stupid] How to I get such fancy steam-link? [/stupid]

Hmm, I kinda feel like a necromancer now - but I listen to satanic music anyway. Someday I might be able to raise the horned one!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
valky667 Use the media button instead of the url button.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom