Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The New World Update #25: Weapons, Armor and Attacks

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Iron Tower Studio; The New World; Vince D. Weller

As the title suggests, the latest monthly development update for The New World is all about the mechanics of the weapons, armor and attacking in general. It's a long and extremely crunchy update, just the way we like them. I'll quote the parts which emphasize the game's differences with The Age of Decadence:

Notable changes from AoD
  • In AoD all combat skills had a passive effect which grew stronger with every point you put into the skill (i.e. Dodge’s passive ability is Counter-Attack; the higher the skill, the higher the chance to counter-attack when you dodge an attack). The problem was that all dodgers of equal skill level had the same chance to counter-attack, regardless of the weapon or stats. We added a bonus to passive chance for certain weapons to differentiate them more, but it didn’t go far enough. In The New World we move the passive affects to feats, weapons and attack stats, so if you want to have a good chance to counter-attack you’d have to pick proper feats and equip weapons with a high Reaction stat. More on that later.

• In AoD we had a traditional, linear progression: an iron sword replaced a bronze sword, a steel sword replaced an iron sword, etc. Same weapon model, higher damage (+1 per tier). The New World has 4 tiers representing the overall quality (crude, decent, good, excellent; these are internal tags, so you’ll never see a ‘crude revolver’ in-game) with multiple weapons per tier and different stats (so you can pick whatever weapon that fits your combat style better). To give you an idea, AoD has 40 unique weapon models, The New World has 87 unique weapon models, so you will have plenty to choose from.

• The downside is that there’s no crafting system. It’s much easier to tell the player that he/she forged a sword that’s better balanced and properly hardened. It’s more complicated with guns as it’s unlikely that your tinkering will add +2 to damage and +1 to penetration.
Ranged combat

It’s a new design, so let’s go over the key concepts first.
  • Unlike melee , your effort doesn’t modify damage, so fast, regular, and aimed attacks do the same damage, which puts the focus on accuracy (i.e. the longer you aim, the higher your accuracy). Thus unlike melee Fast attack that gives you a THC bonus, ranged Snap Shot gives you a THC penalty; similarly melee Aimed attacks give you a THC penalty as they are easier to dodge, whereas ranged Aimed Attacks give you a THC bonus, so the concepts are reversed.

• Range is an important stat for balance purposes (shotguns do a lot of damage up close but lose their accuracy fast, rifles take longer to aim and fire than pistols but have a long range). For example, the famous Sten SMG was described as wildly inaccurate beyond 30 meters, so weapons with short effective ranges are certainly realistic.

• Each tier (i.e quality) increases damage, accuracy, and modifiers, representing better quality and precision, but not by far. Whereas in Wasteland 2 the starting pistol does 5-8 points of damage and the endgame pistol does 100-135, in The New World a pipe pistol does the same 5-8 points of damage and the best unique pistol does 9-14 points of damage, but the overall quality increases accuracy, range, penetration, which are equally important stats.

• So while all pistols of the same tier (i.e. same quality) that use the same ammo do the same damage, we ‘randomize’ the system via bullet types:
    - 9mm – generic, no modifiers, cheapest
    - 0.45 – heavy bullet, damage +1, packs a strong punch (bonus to stagger), higher chance to cause critical
    - 5.56 – light bullet for high velocity guns (rifles and long SMGs), - 1 to damage, +10 to magazine size, +10 to penetration
    - Shotgun shell – high CS, high graze, penalty to penetration
    - Energy cell – its own group, doesn’t mix with the rest. The unique trait is that each cell contains 10 charges; pistols take 1 per shot, so 10 shots, rifles take 2, so 5 shots, cannons take 5, so 2 per cell but they do massive damage. Mechanics wise it’s like a burst where you fire several bullets at once.

• Penetration – instead of going with a vsDR value that reduces enemy’s DR by a fixed amount, we’ll go with % that would either increase or decrease the armor DR value, similar to how different arrowheads worked in AoD.

• As mentioned in the past, there are 3 firearm types (pistols, rifles, and SMG) and each type has 3 subtypes. For example, rifles include one-handed guns like sawed-off shotguns and “mare’s leg” type short rifles, shotguns, and proper rifles, ranging from bolt-action to sniper rifles, so if you specialize in rifles, you won’t be stuck with the same type of weapon doing the same thing.

• Attack types: Snap Shot, Regular, Aimed: Head, Central Mass (torso), Arms, Legs, Bullseye (+6AP, highest bonuses if hit), Fanning for revolvers, Double Shot for multi-barrel guns, Short Burst, and Long Burst.

• Graze range – As mentioned previously, I wanted to implement it in AoD but we were out of time and the fast attacks were basically grazing attacks, doing a lot less damage. The ranged combat is perfect for it. Let’s say you have 80% THC (to-hit chance). You roll the dice and as luck would have it, you’re 1 point short but the binary miss-hit system doesn’t reward your near excellence and treats it as you weren’t even close. So, we’ll change that and go with 4 roll 'ranges': miss, graze, hit, critical hit (instead of rolling for critical separately). This will give us some flexibility with damage ranges and allow you to trade damage for THC.
Read the full update for weapon inventory icons, armor concept art, and more glorious crunch.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Questions:

- Suppression?

- Will melee combat be mandatory due to ammo scarcity?

- Will there be weapon customization via attachments(eg wasteland 2)?

- missed shots hitting someone else? Including friendly fire?

- energy shields like in underrail?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
- Suppression?
No.

- Will melee combat be mandatory due to ammo scarcity?
Ideally, yes, but I'm sure that some people will manage to go through the game relying on aimed shots and reloads to preserve ammo.

- Will there be weapon customization via attachments(eg wasteland 2)?
In a very limited fashion. So far scopes only for firearms and extended modification for energy weapons.

- missed shots hitting someone else? Including friendly fire?
Yes to both (same as in AoD with ranged weapons).

- energy shields like in underrail?
Yes but not exactly.

173843.jpg

103458.jpg

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Cool. Just don't forget about this:

AoD death animations were very satisfying and I trust ITS will fulfill my needs regarding gruesome burst fire induced deaths.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
This might not quite be on topic, but gun combat generally implies the use of cover and concealment. I wonder how this would be used with regard to the shooting mechanics but I suppose it would be tied to AP. For instance peeking a corner to fire a few pot shots and then 'unpeeking' or starting the turn from crouch, popping up to spray and then popping back down.

This may have already been covered in a previous post, but will there be various levels of cover? IE if you're standing behind an obstacle that obscures your character model by 60%, will that in turn reduce the hit chance of enemies from that direction etc ?

Ellef

Deplorable
The downside is that there’s no crafting system. It’s much easier to tell the player that he/she forged a sword that’s better balanced and properly hardened. It’s more complicated with guns as it’s unlikely that your tinkering will add +2 to damage and +1 to penetration.

Probably the best 'downside' I could've hoped for :incline:
Death to crafting.

frajaq

Erudite
Looking much better and interesting than AoD already, nice

I'm loving the art icon on the guns, would love to learn how your artists do that!

How do skill checks work in this game, raising the skills are % chance or a straightforward test?

Vault Dweller

Developer
This might not quite be on topic, but gun combat generally implies the use of cover and concealment. I wonder how this would be used with regard to the shooting mechanics but I suppose it would be tied to AP. For instance peeking a corner to fire a few pot shots and then 'unpeeking' or starting the turn from crouch, popping up to spray and then popping back down.

This may have already been covered in a previous post, but will there be various levels of cover? IE if you're standing behind an obstacle that obscures your character model by 60%, will that in turn reduce the hit chance of enemies from that direction etc ?
There are two types of cover, partial and full. Partial cover's bonus depends on the direction of the enemy's fire (i.e. attacking diagonally is better).

I'm loving the art icon on the guns, would love to learn how your artists do that!
Detailed 3D models, so your weapons will look exactly as the icons when equipped.

How do skill checks work in this game, raising the skills are % chance or a straightforward test?
If your skill is equal or higher than the check's value, you pass.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Vince as always what an amazing update. It looks to be a really meaty combat system, especially the ranged system. Lovin the 3d models and the character sheet.

The combat demo can't come soon enough. Keep it up ! :)

sin

Educated
You might find some minor spoilers to the AoD in this post.
Regarding the notable changes from AoD - one problem was the same chance on the same skill level, however I've found percentage-based progression more problematic. In AoD rarely did skill increase opened new mechanical options in combat, you just did all the same stuff more efficient. Of course you could do a lot of shenanigans to start with, including different types of attacks and limited resources (potions, bolas etc.), which was great, but I would say that unlocking some new possibilities to act differently in combat would be beneficial (like power armor maybe?) for the player's progression fun. And I can't really blame anyone for lack of it in AoD, actually implemented solutions were really fitting to the setting, as there were nearly no advanced tech/magic available for the player, especially combat-focused characters, so there was hardly place for new abilities. I feel it's not the case with TNW, advanced tech is all over the place, so maybe it would be worth to consider implementation of new ways to act, unlocked with skill progression (maybe only embedded in specific weapons/items). It wouldn't probably do that much difference for the base game, but for the combat-themed spin-off - who knows? ;-)

I suppose the lack of crafting is actually a plus, crafting skill in AoD was not only used to create powerful weapons (and the crafting process itself was not entertaining), but it was also tested in some pre-war technology interactions, which IMO made the skill much more viable than the others (and alchemy was powerful as hell as well). It's probably tough to create a balanced crafting system and presence of one always make the overall itemization harder.
Among many arguable combat mechanics that Pillars got implemented I believe the grazes system were actually a way to go, I am glad that we will see it also in TNW.

Anyway, the update looks promising, really looking forward to play the game. :salute:

laclongquan

Arcane
Vault Dweller : IF you include ash piles caused by energy weapons, please do remember to add a coding line allow people to turn that effect of, ala Fallout New Vegas feature which until only last year they can do a mod to fix that bug. Ditto with the body parts cut off by energy guns. In one game playing EW I really hate the arms leg flying off animation.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A bit offtopic, but will party control be similar to AoD (and Fallout) where you only control the main character, and the NPCs are AI driven? Or will you have full party control?

PrettyDeadman

Courthouse looks unrealistically small.
It just doesn't make sense in the enviroment it was put in.
If the size is supposed to be a metaphor of lack for justice in that court you should see the first episode of Lexx for a better implementation of that idea.
They had a kind of meat processing conveyer there prisoners where moved to a fork woth a projector where they have to look 2 minute video of speach-to-text court "proceeding" before going either left or right on fork.
The "court" was small and fake, but the prisoners still had to come from somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vault Dweller

Developer
The Courthouse is an arena in a container town. I assume what you thought was the courthouse itself is merely the entrance.

“You want to file a grievance or apply for a job?” The man’s dressed in a kind of uniform trench coat, decorated with ceremonial symbols you don’t understand.

“What is this place?”

“This, my friend, is the cornerstone of justice in our little town,” he says with pride. “Welcome to the Courthouse.”

“I thought the Pit was a lawless town.”

“No, no, far from it! We abide by the Constitution, and much more strictly than those fools in the Habitat. Every accused man in the Pit is guaranteed to have his day in court and face his accuser, just like the Constitution says. If said accuser is unable to make an appearance, an Arbiter appointed by the Court will take his place.”

“What about the trial?”

“If the defendant slays his accuser, or the aforementioned Arbiter, he’s cleared of all charges and released. If the defendant falls to the accuser he is declared guilty. Posthumously, of course.”

“That’s what you call a trial?”

“All contests conform to the process of law,” he says with a reassuring pat on your shoulder, “and here is where our method is superior: it is immune to the corrupting influence of money. Try to find a system like that in the Habitat. Haw!”

“You mentioned a job.”

“We’re running low on legal representation for the prosecution,” he admits with a sad shake of his head. “Lost three Arbiters last week in a string of challenging cases.”

“Sure, I’ll give it a try.”

“Excellent,” smiles the man. “I am the Court’s Chief Magistrate, which means I’m in charge here. You’ll start out as an Arbiter, sorting out minor cases, misdemeanors mostly. If you live– I mean if you do well, you’ll be promoted to Lictor and get to prosecute more interesting cases. Who knows, you might even make Judge one day. Ready for your first case?”

“Sure.”

“Lemme see.” The Chief Magistrate pulls out an electronic notepad and begins swiping through a series of screens full of a very ornate, hard-to-read font.

“First defendant is one John Doe, meaning he refused to tell us his name. We call that an aggravating circumstance. Our friend Mr. Doe stands accused of cheating during a game of poker. He vehemently denies the charge; don’t they all though? A jury of his peers –in this case, fellow poker players– agree that John Doe cheated and also had shifty eyes, so the case goes to trial. John’s been on a diet of water and N-tab half rations for three weeks so I’m guessing he’ll present a pretty weak case. All yours, Arbiter.”

laclongquan

Arcane
The Courthouse is an arena in a container town. I assume what you thought was the courthouse itself is merely the entrance.

“You want to file a grievance or apply for a job?” The man’s dressed in a kind of uniform trench coat, decorated with ceremonial symbols you don’t understand.

“What is this place?”

“This, my friend, is the cornerstone of justice in our little town,” he says with pride. “Welcome to the Courthouse.”

“I thought the Pit was a lawless town.”

“No, no, far from it! We abide by the Constitution, and much more strictly than those fools in the Habitat. Every accused man in the Pit is guaranteed to have his day in court and face his accuser, just like the Constitution says. If said accuser is unable to make an appearance, an Arbiter appointed by the Court will take his place.”

“What about the trial?”

“If the defendant slays his accuser, or the aforementioned Arbiter, he’s cleared of all charges and released. If the defendant falls to the accuser he is declared guilty. Posthumously, of course.”

“That’s what you call a trial?”

“All contests conform to the process of law,” he says with a reassuring pat on your shoulder, “and here is where our method is superior: it is immune to the corrupting influence of money. Try to find a system like that in the Habitat. Haw!”

“You mentioned a job.”

“We’re running low on legal representation for the prosecution,” he admits with a sad shake of his head. “Lost three Arbiters last week in a string of challenging cases.”

“Sure, I’ll give it a try.”

“Excellent,” smiles the man. “I am the Court’s Chief Magistrate, which means I’m in charge here. You’ll start out as an Arbiter, sorting out minor cases, misdemeanors mostly. If you live– I mean if you do well, you’ll be promoted to Lictor and get to prosecute more interesting cases. Who knows, you might even make Judge one day. Ready for your first case?”

“Sure.”

“Lemme see.” The Chief Magistrate pulls out an electronic notepad and begins swiping through a series of screens full of a very ornate, hard-to-read font.

“First defendant is one John Doe, meaning he refused to tell us his name. We call that an aggravating circumstance. Our friend Mr. Doe stands accused of cheating during a game of poker. He vehemently denies the charge; don’t they all though? A jury of his peers –in this case, fellow poker players– agree that John Doe cheated and also had shifty eyes, so the case goes to trial. John’s been on a diet of water and N-tab half rations for three weeks so I’m guessing he’ll present a pretty weak case. All yours, Arbiter.”

Why the hell does that whisper Drrrrrrrrrrredd to me?

deuxhero

Arcane
  • - 5.56 – light bullet for high velocity guns (rifles and long SMGs), - 1 to damage, +10 to magazine size, +10 to penetration

5.56, a rifle round, and SMG are mutually exclusive. Unless you're one of those weird people that insists the AK-74U is an SMG.

edit: Colt Commando is sometimes also shoved into SMG, though that's really contested. There's no real agreement on what those two should be, but you could easily get away with something like "micro carbine" if you wanted to make really short rifles a distinct class.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom