Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Do peple still rank doom2 over doom3?

kintake

Savant
Do people still rank Alec Guinness over Ewan Mcgregor? I don't even care, all I know is I want Obi-Wan Kenobi to save me from this weird ass discussion, he's my only hope.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Do people still rank Alec Guinness over Ewan Mcgregor? I don't even care, all I know is I want Obi-Wan Kenobi to save me from this weird ass discussion, he's my only hope.

Star Wars Fan at convention circa 1978: "Oh, Great Obi-Wan Kenobi! *bows* I've seen Star Wars 100 times! Will you sign an autograph???"

Sir Alec Guinness at same convention: "I'll sign you an autograph if you promise me one thing - that you will NEVER see Star Wars again."

Note: The preceding story is true. The names have not been changed so that we may all learn an important lesson about the fine line between reality, fantasy and borderline psychotic sci-fi convention fans.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The existence of this thread startled a gusty, prolonged, heartfelt laugh out of me.

OP, you cheeky cunt, you.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Doom 1 > Doom 64 > Doom 2

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Oh, I always thought that Doom 64 was a bad port/version of the original game. Is it any good? How does it compare with other N64 shooters like Turok 1/2/ and Perfect dark?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Do people...
OK, I'll bite.

Do people still rank Quake over Quake 2?
Q1 had a weird gestation and it's obvious looking at the finished game (and comparing to interviews with id circa Doom2 release) that it went through complete overhauls several times. The result is a mess that somehow manages to not be incoherent and to distill a unique atmosphere and pace. The level design (particularly Romero's and Petersen's - no surprise there, though McGee has some great ones in there too) is amazing. By comparison Q2 is by-the-book and more sterile, not to mention it suffers from big problems with enemy variety/placement, AI, and difficulty. Its design is much more similar to Hexen's, but doesn't pull off the same creative use of scripts or of the hub structure as that game. I don't think Q2 is bad, but Q1 is much more unique and interesting, and more fun to play.

Do people still rank Unreal over Unreal 2?
Yes. Spider Gun. DraQ

Do people still rank Blood over Blood 2?
I'm perhaps one of the few who don't think Blood 2 is outright bad (it's certainly nowhere near as bad as something like Tekwar), but it's mediocre at best, and the first game is much superior. I have trouble putting my finger on exactly what I don't like about Blood 2, and I'm usually able to clearly formulate (at least to myself) my preference for this or that. I think it's generally the feeling that Blood 1 level design was more memorable and the themes they used were more interesting, but also maybe because Blood 2 was an early version of Lithtech, and that version was too clunky compared to the smooth Build version in Blood 1.

Do people still rank Duke Nukem 3D over Duke Nukem Forever?
Oh yes. I actually finished DNF, and it is a bad game. Every time I read some idiot saying that it didn't do well because of its "dated" this or that I roll my eyes - there's nothing in it that's vaguely like any of the original games, but that's not even its problem. The problem is that the gameplay is railroaded, the level design is piss poor, you have that idiotic weapon carry limit, the writing is abysmal even by the low, low standards of the parody that Duke is, the boss fights are tedious, the driving segments go on for too long...

Do people still rank Sins of the Fathers over Blood of the Damned?
Yes, but not by that much actually. I think I like GK1 more because puzzles and writing are tighter, but GK3 is pretty good too - just that GK1 is probably one of Sierra's best games in most departments, and it's hard to top that.

Do people still rank Raven Shield over Vegas?
I've never played either actually.

Do people still rank Simon the Sorcerer over Simon the Sorcerer 3D?
Following OP you should've had Simon 2 vs Simon 3D, which would've been an even better contrast. I actually do consider Simon 2 to be better than Simon 1. The second game is bigger, has more and better puzzles, more and better writing, is funnier, with some great voice acting. It's a bit of a case of MI1 vs MI2, except much more skewed towards the sequel. Simon 3D, on the other hand... I never managed to make it more than half an hour or so into the game. The controls were so horrible I just couldn't do it. Shame because I really do love Adventuresoft/Horrorsoft and their games.

Do people still rank The Sexy Empire over Lula 3D?
... I don't even want to ask.

Do people still rank Worms Armageddon over Forts Under Siege?
Never played FUS, so I'll compare to 3D instead (why didn't you pick this one?). The move to 3D results IMO in 3 major problems: the camera is a nuisance now, there's no ceiling anymore, and the terrain changes due to explosions/fire don't look anywhere near as entertaining.

Do people still rank Interstate 76 over Interstate 82?
I do like I82, and the updated engine is very nice, but the game is less fun overall: weapon/armor system is much simpler, driving feels more floaty, and the soundtrack is a big step down. Still a good game.

Do people still rank Carmageddon over TDR 2000?
Never played TDR 2000.

Do people still rank StarCraft over StarCraft 2?
The best part of SC1 is Brood War, and nothing in SC2 compares. SC1 didn't even try to balance the races (that came much, MUCH later with some of the patches) but tried to make them feel and play as differently as possible, and it was great. Campaigns were gloriously cheesy but the game finely balanced some great cinematic moments (Ep1 ending, BW intro) without ever forgetting it's ultimately writing and story for a video game, and an RTS at that, and those moments were written accordingly, and that's why they work. SC2 tries for a darker, more grim and serious tone, and it doesn't fit. The split into 3 separate games doesn't help, as many missions feel like padding (which they probably are).

Do people still rank The Duel: Test Drive 2 over Test Drive 3?
Never played either.

Do people still rank Lands of Lore over Lands of Lore 2?
LOL2 gets a lot of undeserved flak IMO. LOL1 is pretty much a beginner's blobber, and while it has some charm and some pretty graphics (especially spell effects) combat is pretty meh, the complete inability to tell what a magic item does in ANY way is terrible, and while some levels and puzzles are well designed the game is clearly unfinished and starts falling apart somewhere around the Catwalk Caverns, where you start running into incomplete triggers, puzzles with no solution, some very strange bugs, and plot-important quest items that are where they are for no discernible reason. It's a fun game and I like it, but it would never make my list of top RT blobbers. LOL2 by contrast has a lot going for it: a ton of optional content, multiple ways of approaching certain problems that eventually puts you on 2 distinct paths with distinct puzzles and different endings, and most importantly in this type of game, some huge areas with great design and puzzles (Dracoid Ruins, Huline Temple, City of the Ancients). I think the sheer quality of some of these levels is enough to redeem the game in my eyes.

Mustawd

DOOM makes me so nostalgic for when game levels were, well...gamey.

Like nothing in DOOM is realistic. And it doesn't matter. If the old ID were alive today there would still be armor in random places. Colored keycards wpuld still be floating around. And monsters would be locked into rooms for no other reason for you to find them and kill them.

You know. Fucking video games.

Tehdagah

Arcane
DOOM makes me so nostalgic for when game levels were, well...gamey.

Like nothing in DOOM is realistic. And it doesn't matter. If the old ID were alive today there would still be armor in random places. Colored keycards wpuld still be floating around. And monsters would be locked into rooms for no other reason for you to find them and kill them.

You know. Fucking video games.
It all started with Half Life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom