Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, I'm inspired by the Realms Beyond thread, so let's talk about killing children instead. That's more humane.
Will you be able to throw little ones off a bridge in the game?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Oh yeah did the devs mention anything about the planned price yet?

Yeah, Coming Soon.

(Please help we're locked in!)

nSW08MY.jpg
Deepest Writing.

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer

We're ready to make that choice when we have final info on the playtime, which is very hard to guesstimate for an RPG, even in late development. Right now I feel it will be quite long.

It is possible to have low emphaty but high esprit de corps or the opposite? They seems linked while the others are independent for example a drug addict can be a great charmer.

To some point, yes. The skills are sort of conjoined, springing from their parent Attribute. A 4 Psyche character begins with 4 in both Empathy and Esprit de Corps. You can then put max 4 more points in Esprit de Corps and be a real military type as the game progresses. But keep Empathy underdeveloped, focusing on other things instead. 4 (the starting score in your Psyche) is also the maximum cap for your learned Esprit de Corps and Empathy. But! We have mechanics to separate these conjoined siblings as the game progresses. For one, there are thoughts in your Thought Cabinet that raise the maximum learning cap of certain skills. When you complete the thought Cop of the Apocalypse, for example, it raises your maximum learned Inland Empire to 6, whatever your Psyche score originally was. Allowing you to, with any build, create a cop that has a ton of Inland Empire and almost none of the other Psyche skills. In addition to mixing things up in the Thought Cabinet, clothes and items have an effect on your skills, lowering and raising some. So, in conclusion, the rule system begins by joining the skills of one attribute at the root. And then gives you, hopefully, quite a lot of tools to create some pretty unbalanced builds. A low Psyche but uncontrollably high Inland Empire cop would be an interesting example, because they have none of the other skills to keep that Inland Empire in check and out of trouble.

Who are those white armored guys in the latest trailer? Military? I'm actually asking because the main character looks so cool when he shoots one of them

They are mercenaries of a private security contractor. What you would call "bad dudes". I won't go into further detail, not to spoil things, but a sidequest in the game is collecting pieces of that same armour. Which you can then also wear, or mix and match with other clothes.

Guys, I'm inspired by the Realms Beyond thread, so let's talk about killing children instead. That's more humane.
Will you be able to throw little ones off a bridge in the game?

It is possible to go that way, yes. I suggest purposefully missing, though. Nothing says "supercop" like trying to shoot a child and then missing.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We're ready to make that choice when we have final info on the playtime, which is very hard to guesstimate for an RPG, even in late development. Right now I feel it will be quite long.
You should slow down the player's walk speed. Also make sure not to edit your content for quality, just throw in everything. That way the game will be super time consuming and you can charge more.
dollars.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Marat Sar

stuff like being empathetic can be faked (such as by people who utilize it as lure to do harm). Will there be any scenarios like so which allow a subversion of archetypes (or to put it bluntly does the game recognize sociopath behavior)

vota DC

Augur
Inland Empire + high suggestion and Authority means you can manufacture false proofs and put eveyone in jail.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Marat Sar

ZA/UM
Developer
Marat Sar sooo will there be a console commands? Serious question,love to mess around with the console.

Programming lead said: no.

Some thought cabinet projects provide similar, albeit less dramatic tools. One makes you automatically fail all red checks once it's equipped, another makes you zoom out further... But now I'm just peddling features. The fact stands that there won't be console commands.

Marat Sar

stuff like being empathetic can be faked (such as by people who utilize it as lure to do harm). Will there be any scenarios like so which allow a subversion of archetypes (or to put it bluntly does the game recognize sociopath behavior)

I'm gonna say no. I'm pretty sure there is a moment like that, where the Empathy skill pops up and asks you if you meant what you said -- the talking skills give us plenty of opportunity to be laser specific about player intention -- but I'm too busy to check atm. Let's leave it as a no and positively surprise the clientele later.

Where does the name Marat Sar come from anyway? A PnP character?

It's a character in Elysium. To me the name has always seemed phonetically similar to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marat/Sade
Both of whom I have tremendous respect for, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom