Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

ArchAngel

Arcane
Tips during loading times are an amazing idea, I love not being able to read any tip because game loads too fast.
Most loading screen tips are brain-dead obvious shit anyway. Only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Grim Dawn which actually had a few useful ones.
Hey! I loved BG1's tip "Remember while your characters don't need to eat, you do".

Mark Richard

Arcane
Tips during loading times are an amazing idea, I love not being able to read any tip because game loads too fast.
Most loading screen tips are brain-dead obvious shit anyway. Only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Grim Dawn which actually had a few useful ones.
Loading screens can also provide flavour text, artwork, personal messages/jokes from the developers, and interactive objects. They may be little more than a transition screen imposed by technical limitations, but a good developer can turn lemons into lemonade and show creativity even in such a mundane area. Overly fast loading screens have become an issue in a lot of past games like Freedom Force, where viewing the comic covers on your futuristic rig now requires digging through the game files.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
26841280_354473141695882_5107197669644609778_o.jpg

Bohr

Arcane
From the stream it's clear they've added more automatic 'cinematic' moments for certain events in combat (in the beta people were manually zooming in to get this effect). It can be adjusted though for people who don't want the perspective jumping around.

HlE6fn.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hey! I loved BG1's tip "Remember while your characters don't need to eat, you do".

Saved a shit load of Asian café players.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I much preferred the trolling quotes during loading screens in Operation Flashpoint, with things like : "The quickest way to end a war is to lose it.".

TedNugent

Arcane
Just heard about this a week ago, watched the demo, realized that it was HBS behind it.

Saw a ton of vitriol amongst the plebs against the developer in the comments and was flabbergasted (stuff to the effect of dev has bad behavior, fails to deliver). Dragonfall was really a solid game and both SRR and Dragonfall had really solid, if basic combat systems that were enjoyable to play.
I feel like we can expect a solid TB baseline, unlike, say, Torment Tides of Numenera's system, HBS knows how to make a functional TB game that is enjoyable to play, and I strongly believe based on that experience that they can make an enjoyable and nuanced TB Mech Warrior game.

Previews look good. This is definitely my brother's kind of game.

Stability mechanics and targeting damage are pretty interesting, terrain info sounds good but as with everything execution is absolutely key. I'll try to follow this game in the coming months and make sure at least my bro plays it. Not really getting deeply into this right now.

Bohr

Arcane
xxU1VO.png

Looking back at the beta the skirmishes took place in a small part of each overall map, which was much bigger

If anyone's interested in a designer making one of the BT maps from scratch these threads follow the process, incl use of their own tools for erosion, roads etc (up to when the designer finishes laying it out and hands it over to encounter designers and art teams for final touches)

https://twitter.com/HBS_Kiva/status/918540787712794624
https://twitter.com/HBS_Kiva/status/918914222230138882

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the...this guy was still calling himself "Kevin" last June: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1614948

But he was Kiva by December: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1768032

Nutjobs gonna nutjob.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1541543

This tactic isn’t theoretical - in a recent battle, I snuck up behind our Lead Designer Kevin’s Centurion with a Jenner I’d reserved to Phase 1.

:lol: Well that takes on a whole other meaning now.
I'm still Kevin.

Bohr

Arcane
In 2018 there are still a few people who think kickstarted games are usually made with KS funds only

RWFUrp.png

(Cue Codex-style megathread where everyone decides on the game's breakeven point and the HBS burn rate)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grunker Not enough people here played the beta to give you a good consensus. There was some whining at the beginning (as always) but since it hasn't been updated in ages and doesn't contain the campaign nobody thinks it'll be very representative of the final game anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom