Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Okay, mister Absolute Bollocks:
Another reason I started to lose interest was because I discovered that I'm not particularly bothered by the much vaunted high-level mage spell-casting that the game gradually turns into. I saw no great value in pre-preparing any contingencies, triggers or time stops and when the enemy did it it just made combats boring and frustrating as I sat there looking at a dead screen for up to a full minute while the AI went through it's spell-casting motions with nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs. Also, while using magic was invaluable for killing the Chapter 3 dragons, the two later dragons, the silver and black dragon, the game just presented you with unique abilities that you'd never guess what their counter was anyway. I looked up the counter to Wing Buffet and found it was Spell Shield, duly shielded my two mages with the spell and then cast loads of anti-resistance magic and followed it up with magic missiles, but the missiles did nothing, They registered in the battle-log as having been fired, but no further info was provided, neither any hits nor any resisteds. I just moved on. Likewise, no idea what Black Dragon Breath is or how to counter it, looked up some hints and just used summons, something I had completely forgotten about after summons had been completely useless against all previous dragons. I didn't even bother trying the green dragon. Likewise, I defeated Irenicus at the tree by just running around the tree until all his shit wore off, at which point he appeared to have unlimited Magic Missiles, fired off at a machine gun pace. Luckily Jahira was immune to them and by the time she killed him he'd fired off 51 (!) Magic Missiles at her. Sure... that's, like, playing the game right there game... and throughout I noticed an awful lot of enemies which weren't necessarily 'playing by the rules', which reminded me of the prison mage in the original Baldur's Gate who seemed to have unlimited spells casting.
As you can see, my passionate if tad retarded friend, your paragraph begins with expressing your dissatisfaction with high-level magic. You slammed the dragon fights and clearly stated that you "moved on" from the black dragon and didn't even bother trying the green dragon. You did not say anything about the game's plot suggesting you to do so, rather such comments came immediately after and were immediately followed by more complaints about spells and magic.

Since nobody can read your mind to fathom what you REALLY were thinking, it's really pathetic to afterward try to claim you meant something else when people question your analysis. And yes, I can call you retarded because of your behaviour in this thread, like the insistence on not patching the game and your attempts to backpedal from your own claims.

I "moved on" from the Silver Dragon. You'll notice that discussion about the Black Dragon follows in a completely new sentence. Are you gonna fuck off yet or you still planning on jumping around hoping to catch your face before it drowns in a sea of bollocks?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
So you can't express yourself properly and it's not your fault but the fault of everyone else here, for not being able to read your mind to figure out the TRUE MEANING. Gotcha.

Love how you class yourself as "everyone else here"... ever thought of seeing someone about that complex YOU have ;)

Anyway, the bugs were to be expected to be honest. That's a transcript from the BG2 Wiki (notice how different thinks are from now)

During the game's development, a quality assurance department was added to BioWare, and the game's publishers lent their assistance in testing.[75] Muzyka said, "because of its immense size, Baldur's Gate II was a tester's nightmare," and "this was compounded by the fact that we didn't do enough testing as areas were being developed."[77] The game contained about 290 quests, each of which had to be tested in both single player and multiplayer modes.[77] BioWare used a method, introduced to them by Feargus Urquhart, Douglas Avery, and Chris Parker of Black Isle Studios, in which the game's quests were listed on whiteboards, with a cross placed beside each quest.[77] Pairs consisting of a developer and a tester were allotted each a quest, and upon their believing the quest to be stable, its cross was deleted.[77]

Muzyka wrote:

In the final days of working on BG2 there was a strangely serene feeling in the office. We didn't experience the headlong panic that is sometimes prevalent while finishing a game, but we certainly did experience considerable stress as we built 21 final candidates in 3 days. After a few long nights with the whole team playing the game over and over again, we reached a point where we built a good final candidate. Then it was sent to the duplicators![77]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't know about the journal, I meant the health bars, shading filter and what-not. The journal is pretty shitty, yeah, when you get a new journal entry you can't click on it to bring up the actual entry.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
There's no way to turn it back to the original appearance. I think there's a button to make it display entries chronologically like it used to. I'm not sure though.

Parabalus

Arcane
What's wrong with the sorted quests? I found it neater than scrolling through stacked entries.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ what he said. Pretty much the only improvement of the EE's IMO is the journal system? What's the issue with it? The IE-games' journal was probably their worst designed feature, viewing each aspect in isolation.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
What's wrong with the sorted quests? I found it neater than scrolling through stacked entries.
Grunker

I've only played a bit with the new journal system, since it came with the 2.X series of patches. What I recall is that with the journal came MMO-style popups about objectives complete, new quests added, etc. That's the functional part that I disliked about it, but aesthetically it was also just plain ugly. The sorting is convenient, I wish it had been rolled into the old-style presentation without the popups though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So, since I'm desperate and google doesn't assist, I thought I might try to see if anyone here has had similar problems.

I recently made yet another Big World install, only using some tweak mods and of course SCS and I've run into the weirdest bug. None of my characters can dual class. In fact, even if I use EE Keeper on my fighter to give him a level of Mage dual class, in game his class will suddenly be reverted to full class mage.

Anyone want to venture a guess what the fuck's up? I already tried equpping the ring

Cael

Arcane
So, since I'm desperate and google doesn't assist, I thought I might try to see if anyone here has had similar problems.

I recently made yet another Big World install, only using some tweak mods and of course SCS and I've run into the weirdest bug. None of my characters can dual class. In fact, even if I use EE Keeper on my fighter to give him a level of Mage dual class, in game his class will suddenly be reverted to full class mage.

Anyone want to venture a guess what the fuck's up? I already tried equpping the ring
Your second class higher level than the first? Also, I think you can only dual at second level, not first. I vaguely recall running into that problem, but I could be wrong.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No, I'm saying I can't dual class at all, dude. The button is greyed out even if I EE Keeper a basic fighter with 20 in all attributes and level 9.

hell bovine

Arcane
No, I'm saying I can't dual class at all, dude. The button is greyed out even if I EE Keeper a basic fighter with 20 in all attributes and level 9.
Post your weidu log, because a quick look at the tweak mod from gibberlings shows that there is actually a mod option to disable dual-classing for human characters.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I read the readme (you have to with the tweak mods, since you don't want most changes). What I did was use BWS for the first time (usually do straight WeiDU installs) and so in my attempt to keep everything straight I clicked "Install both of the above" since I do that with the multiclass tweak - but where the both option for multiclass loosen the restriction, the both option for dual classing makes all non-humans able to dual class while it bars all humans from dual classing.

Durr.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just watched something pretty unique. My wife is playing through BGII. It was the combat vs Sendai.

The party has defeated all the statues, and is battling the actual Sendai.

Viconia has been killed by the last statue.

My wife's PC is a pure mage.

Korgan has spent most of the whole combat in one of the small circular areas where the statues start out from. He is physically blocked in that area by the paperdolls of Jaheira and Sarevok, who have been stunned by the third statue, and neither of those three can actively take part in the combat.

So with Viconia dead, my wife's PC together with Minsc is trying to breach Sendai's magic defences while also combating two Drow fighters.

Sendai casts Harm on Minsc which eats up like 90% of his health. We quickly heal him to 1/4 of full health, and at my advice, my wife starts kiting Sendai with Minsk, waiting for the next round where he can drink another potion.

I notice that the two Drow are exhausted by an Abidazim's Horrid Wilting and tell her to attack one of the Drow with Minsc, because I see the Drow will need a couple of hits at most.

My wife casts breach on Sendai, who is left with only her Mirror image protection. Minsc keeps drinking potions. Sendai's mirror images wear off as Minsc is redirected at her. My wife casts another Abidazim's Horrid Wilting, to get rid of the two Drow and any other Drow that come in.

At this point Minsc has kited Sendai who is now Injured, to a place where Korgan's boomerang throwing/melee axe is in range. Korgan throws the axe at her once, after which she decides to attack him. Since she is out of spells and can't reach him - he is still blocked - she teleports next to him, while being Badly Injured :lol: Blocked next to Korgan, she dies in two hits.

One of the most hilarious combats I've seen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom