Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane Do peple still rank doom2 over doom3?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
First off I gotta say that I see doom as not only the best doom game but also my favourite FPS, it was already 20 years old when I got to try it after playing doom3. Its only after playing doom that I realized the wasted potential of doom3.

I kept hearing people saying doom2 was the big doom game a bit like BG2 vs BG so I was super exited to jump in it. Sadly its been quite a disappointment so far. Ive been through all of the missions and was shocked by the lack of interesting content.

Enemies are dull and mostly feel one dimensional, athmospere is lame, dialogue is bare bone, level designs are dull and super linear/fedex style, musics are dull, level design and map layout are uncreative, written lore is almost nonexistent... this is hardly a proper doom game, or even a proper FPS like people claim.

I get it that doom2 was made using the same engine as doom and stuff but the overall design is so poor (especially combat encounters) that it fails to use it's potential. And the whole tone of the game is such a joke that I dont see how it could ever be called a classic, even Postal 2 wasnt as retarded as what I have seen in doom2.

I know that doom 3 isnt a classic fallout but I find it to be more in the spirit of the series than doom 2 which is a total joke.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2009-12-04-surpriseyioid.png

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
2 > 3 but this doesn't mean too much. Doom 2 is a bugged, unbalanced, unfinished game with a repetitive combat system. Doom 3 had all the problems of 2 but the combat system is ever worse. Both sucked and need a lot of fan-made patches and mods to be playable.

Ash

Arcane
Doom 3 was shit decline but still better than 99% of the games they call FPS these days

:negative:

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
the more important question is was fallout 4 better doom than doom 3?
Fallout 4 is hardly enjoyable for me today even if it was my childhood game, but it still offers the most unique weaponries and gadgets of the series. Compared to doom2 which has none of the interesting weapons, except for the supershotgun, but still falls flat compared to the ingenuity that is the laser muskets.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Doom 3 was Quake 2 with better enemy and encounter design. Quake 4 with Q4max is objectively better than Quake 3.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Quake is the best because actual full 3D architecture with verticality that matters, jumping, rooms above rooms rather than just height levels, etc etc.

And when you bring in the fan-made content, then yeah, Quake blows everything else out of the water.

nobre

Cipher
Do people still rank Diablo 2 over Diablo 3?

Do people still rank Gothic 2 over Gothic 3?

Do people still rank Age of Empires 2 over Age of Empires 3?

Do people still rank Hearts of Iron 2 over Hearts or Iron 3?

:dance:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Do people still rank Quake over Quake 2?

Do people still rank Unreal over Unreal 2?

Do people still rank Blood over Blood 2?

Do people still rank Duke Nukem 3D over Duke Nukem Forever?

Do people still rank Sins of the Fathers over Blood of the Damned?

Do people still rank Raven Shield over Vegas?

Do people still rank Simon the Sorcerer over Simon the Sorcerer 3D?

Do people still rank The Sexy Empire over Lula 3D?

Do people still rank Worms Armageddon over Forts Under Siege?

Do people still rank Interstate 76 over Interstate 82?

Do people still rank Carmageddon over TDR 2000?

Do people still rank StarCraft over StarCraft 2?

Do people still rank The Duel: Test Drive 2 over Test Drive 3?

Do people still rank Lands of Lore over Lands of Lore 2?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom