Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
So Might & Magic X is a pretty fucking solid game.
I would add "context taken into consideration" out of fairness.
I mean, from the perspective of Ubisoft, it's just money. They gave 0 fucks through and through. Hence an abysmal budget.
But what good ol' Julien Pirou managed to do with it is cool, kudos to him. Too bad his input on homm7 wasn't as fruitful.

ummm... no?

I mean, I really like the early M&M's, but they've all been quirky to the max. MMX is probably my favourite MM game, with the exception of VII. I mean, if MM mostly means huge fucking world/ dungeons to fucking fly around in, well, MMX doesn't have a lot of that. But it's concise and really well made.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
It's more the game design that I find a bit lacking. I prefer how old m&ms handled itemisation for instance. And how stats worked in those. I'm not a fan of incrementing stats as a progression system, like DAO and such. I think stats should define a character with more-or-less immuable values.
But overall yeah, I enjoyed mmx.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
It's more the game design that I find a bit lacking. I prefer how old m&ms handled itemisation for instance. And how stats worked in those. I'm not a fan of incrementing stats as a progression system, like DAO and such. I think stats should define a character with more-or-less immuable values.
But overall yeah, I enjoyed mmx.

uuhhh rly?

By old, are we talking 1-5, or 6-8? I'd sure as hell say it's better than in the early games. Oh wow, I found a katana... let's identify it... oops it's made of leather! What I miss in regards to 6-8 is weapons and armor having speed properties, I find it kind of lame that your number of attacks is pre-determined by your weapon of choice. Also armor being basically optional, and in many cases counter productive, is a weird thing, OTOH it makes characters more diverse.

I can't relate to the attributes thing, MM has always been about stat bloat. I actually like raising stats on level up rather than from drinking 100 barrels of yellow magic sauce. It also gives you a lot of flexibility to play around with builds. There can be good reasons to pump a support caster's magic stats for some levels, and then switch to other attributes, for example. You can even raise attributes in conjunction with certain stats, e.g. it may make sense to only start raising Destiny if and when you also start raising the dodge skill. Or raise some Vitality and endurance skill if you realize your mage has become too squishy. It's that dynamic progression I've always been looking for in games, where you actually react to how the game is playing out at any moment, rather than deciding on a build at the start and then just keep following that formula.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I'd compare it with 1-5. I barely played 6 and never played the others, I couldn't get into the full 3d environments.
Also, yeah, you bloat your stats in m&m, but in the old games it wasn't a progression mechanic where you'd increment on each level up, it was more of a milestone in the overall progression. Reaching 25 might through magical items in the midgame of book I feels somewhat different to me. I think it's about the automation of the per-level process, you don't even realise the high numbers you reach because you gradually and constantly progress towards them. When you get to upgrade your might score by finding magical stuff or reaching a specific fountain/npc in a perilous environment, it just doesn't feel the same.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So Might & Magic X is a pretty fucking solid game.
I would add "context taken into consideration" out of fairness.
I mean, from the perspective of Ubisoft, it's just money. They gave 0 fucks through and through. Hence an abysmal budget.
But what good ol' Julien Pirou managed to do with it is cool, kudos to him. Too bad his input on homm7 wasn't as fruitful.

ummm... no?

I mean, I really like the early M&M's, but they've all been quirky to the max. MMX is probably my favourite MM game, with the exception of VII. I mean, if MM mostly means huge fucking world/ dungeons to fucking fly around in, well, MMX doesn't have a lot of that. But it's concise and really well made.
Ban this heretic,burn him in pieces!!!

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I'd compare it with 1-5. I barely played 6 and never played the others, I couldn't get into the full 3d environments.
Also, yeah, you bloat your stats in m&m, but in the old games it wasn't a progression mechanic where you'd increment on each level up, it was more of a milestone in the overall progression. Reaching 25 might through magical items in the midgame of book I feels somewhat different to me. I think it's about the automation of the per-level process, you don't even realise the high numbers you reach because you gradually and constantly progress towards them. When you get to upgrade your might score by finding magical stuff or reaching a specific fountain/npc in a perilous environment, it just doesn't feel the same.

The weird thing about the old games (at least from III onwards, haven't played the first 2) was the diminishing returns you got from attributes. So yeah, getting those stats to 25 was sweet, but then eventually you'd have like 100 Might and the difference to late early game was marginal. You'd have super high numbers for no reason at all, except making you go completionist in your quest for barrels to pass those high-number-challenges.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
You can even raise attributes in conjunction with certain stats, e.g. it may make sense to only start raising Destiny if and when you also start raising the dodge skill. Or raise some Vitality and endurance skill if you realize your mage has become too squishy. It's that dynamic progression I've always been looking for in games, where you actually react to how the game is playing out at any moment, rather than deciding on a build at the start and then just keep following that formula.
I missed this bit. You're right on this, I remember that I found myself considering rising the accuracy of my tank, just so he could finally land his taunt, instead of his durability or flat might. And indeed, it's the kind of considerations that could only arise through incrementations. Also kind of mitigates the feeling of simply pushing buttons.
But overall, most classes had obvious choices for attributes raises, so it's more of a specific case than a general rule imo.

The weird thing about the old games (at least from III onwards, haven't played the first 2) was the diminishing returns you got from attributes.

I don't remember the detail of how attributes impacted the character abilities past 30 in terra and wox, you might be right.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
You can even raise attributes in conjunction with certain stats, e.g. it may make sense to only start raising Destiny if and when you also start raising the dodge skill. Or raise some Vitality and endurance skill if you realize your mage has become too squishy. It's that dynamic progression I've always been looking for in games, where you actually react to how the game is playing out at any moment, rather than deciding on a build at the start and then just keep following that formula.
I missed this bit. You're right on this, I remember that I found myself considering rising the accuracy of my tank, just so he could finally land his taunt, instead of his durability or flat might. And indeed, it's the kind of considerations that could only arise through incrementations. Also kind of mitigates the feeling of simply pushing buttons.
But overall, most classes had obvious choices for attributes raises, so it's more of a specific case than a general rule imo.

I find the classes very flexible. Sure, you have like this template e.g. for the Defender. A lot of vitality cuz he's a dwarf and a tank, some might to do damage, some spirit to use Warfare abilities. But that really only applies if you use him exactly as intended, which you don't have to do. The Defender being an especially good example here because this game doesn't need a dedicated tank anyway, and he's never gonna do much damage with one handaxe.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah, amazing.
Looks like we need a new poll.
The worst thing is that some retard will vote for it. At this point i do hope ubi get fucked over by Vivendi. At this point we know how shit everything ubi is,at least vivendi could surprise us with its shitty practices,nothing of value will be lost.

Dorateen

Arcane
Well the Defender was the easiest to skip.

Hmmph.

iblLFFv.png

LTZxQjo.png

GZkZcff.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
ok, help me monocled people.

I want to replay mm6. Only thing that is stopping me is that I cant decide on party... or lack of it.
If full party Id do ssdd, if solo either d or archer.

Please help me decide

EDIT: I might be leaning towards solo archer due to spear AC bonus
Go for Knight or Monk,Paladin,Archer and a Wiz.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I'm about to start my 2nd M&MX run and I can't decide who's going to be the 4th character.

There's just no way around a Bladedancer and a Rune Priest. 3rd one this time is a Druid.

Now for the 4th spot I can't decide between:

- Scout / Dual Wield Master / Axe GM
- Barb / Spear GM / Two Handed GM
- Barb / Axe M / Dual Wield M
- Hunter / Spear GM / Two Handed GM

Help ?

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Hmm... I'm aware a melee scout build doesn't benefit from his promotion skill / crossbow, but he can grandmaster axe and master dualwield. That should make him a pretty good melee candidate.

Warfare 2H Mercanary ? What does he have over a Barb ? I don't have the game running, so I'm guessing he can grandmaster warfare.

1st party was: Crusader, Bladedancer, Freemage, Rune Priest

Although I was having Agony and Mandate Of Heaven at my disposal I was rarely using them. And even without them the Bladedancer (swords) was a mean killing machine. But I guess you're right. When not fully utilizing her, she's not mandatory. I'm a spear sucker, too. Let's say I take the Hunter and leave the Bladedancer home, who could replace her ?

Druid / Hunter / Rune Priest / ???

Last edited:

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I was aiming for a magic heavy setup, because this time I plan to try the dlc and I have red you're stripped of your equipment and that renders the melee characters pretty much useless for the first dlc dungeon.

A ranger ? really ? The way the encounters are set up doesn't speak for the ranged classes.

Actually I was torn between using a druid or a shaman, but I concluded the druid is a great healer with his promotion aura and I couldn't find a reason to take a shaman over a druid.
Okay the shaman might be more hybridy with weapon masteries, but the priorities of a shaman or a druid is not to brandish with weapons, right ?

Up to the very end of the game I found the rune priest's fire spells indispensable. Both shaman and scout can only master fire.

I tempted to include as many classes I didn't use for the first time, but I also want to have a powerful party. And I'm having my doubts about a ranger and a ranged scout build.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom