Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Encased is an upcoming turn-based post-apocalyptic RPG from an ex-Larian dev

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dark Crystal Games; Encased

Encased is an upcoming turn-based isometric post-apocalyptic RPG by Dark Crystal Games, a new studio formed by an ex-Larian developer from St. Petersburg. We've actually known about it since early last month, but there was literally no information beyond the basic description on Dark Crystal's official website until yesterday, when they finally came out with a proper announcement. There are also a few early screenshots available, as well as a sample of the game's soundtrack. People seem interested in this, so I figured I'd post about it:

We are glad to announce the video game we have been working on for a plenty of time. Meet Encased – the postapocalyptic single-player tactical RPG with the old-school spirit and a modern design. It features a turn-based combat system and an isometric camera.

The action takes place on the isolated from the other world desert territory covered with a gigantic semi-penetrable dome of mysterious origin. Here lie the ruins of an ancient technologically advanced civilization which are filled with artifacts, traps, and anomalies. After the nuclear war, a corporation researching ancient technologies collapsed, and the remnants of its staff founded a few factions, each one of them having their own vision of the humanity’s future.

Depending on the profession defined by the player during the character creation, some unique dialogue and interaction options appear. Encased is classless – the flexible system of skills and attributes allows making anyone out of your character.

Encased becomes open-world after the prologue and consists of separately loaded areas, with random events that may occur during the translocation.

During the development, we draw our inspiration from such pieces as Fallout 1-2 and “Roadside Picnic“.

Team

Although Encased is the first project for Dark Crystal Games, this is not the first game for our team members. Many of us have a daily experience in the game development and have released a few decent games.

How to follow

It’s best to subscribe to the secret C.R.O.N.U.S. newsletter – there will be really unique materials, classified documents, and demo versions, that you will not see anywhere else. Newsletter http://eepurl.com/dhl8fP. The second best source of data will be our community boards http://forum.darkcrystalgames.com/.
There's no release date for Encased yet, but apparently a closed beta or maybe Early Access are planned for early 2019.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Another inspired by Fallout 1-2 game... lets see if this one releases in a playable shape.. that would be a good change :D

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are there already enough 'ex-Larian developers' in St. Petersburg to form a studio? Wasn't that branch only formed a couple of years ago, or some such?
They must have bigger turnover rate than even the grindhouse of CDPR.

Cool music, btw.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Are there already enough 'ex-Larian developers' in St. Petersburg to form a studio? Wasn't that branch only formed a couple of years ago, or some such?
They must have bigger turnover rate than even the grindhouse of CDPR.

1. AFAIK Larian acquired(?) an existing software company (Elverils, LLC) to form the St. Petersburg studio in 2014. So probably the branch was not so small to begin with.

2. This new studio Dark Crystal Games has only less than 10 developers at the moment, according to the project page on Russian gamedev community.

3. Only confirmed ex-Larian developer in the studio is its director.

Morkar Left

Could be something...

Never heard of “Roadside Picnic“. Googling it the novel sounds interesting. Have to keep that in my mind.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

CadmusLabs

Arcane
Developer
Heyo people. This is Slava from Dark Crystal Games.

Big thanks for mentioning us. We understand that "Russian Fallout" is a meme already and there was a lot of promises and expectations from other developers from our region, so we won't bullshit you with any magical promises.

We strongly believe that this time it is different, but we want to prove it with actions, not promises. We have a plan for the game that we thought through, we have a decent team of people who are both industry professionals and RPG / sci-fi / post-apocalypse fans, we have some technical know-how, we work hard. Let us see how it all will work out.

If people care about dev diaries we'd like to start a thread here to post new artwork, screenshots, and updates.

I dare to post a couple of more artwork:
Bunker-1024x640.png
Raiders_Camp-1024x640.png
Firelights-1024x512.png

Rest is here http://darkcrystalgames.com/media/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom