Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Random Adventure Game News Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amanita-horror-game

Chuchel creators Amanita Design are making a horror game

Czech indie studio Amanita Design are currently working on four new games, one of which will be a horror title.

“It’s going to be very interesting to see what people think about it,” Amanita Design’s Lukas Kunce tells us. “It’s going to be a bit disgusting at times, and very disturbing.”

The game is being headed up by Chuchel’s designer and is already almost finished. Kunce describes the visual style as something akin to Botanicula and Chuchel, but darker.

Amanita are still deciding which game to release next, but they plan to release one of the four games next year, with a formal announcement potentially coming later this year.

Two of the other ongoing projects are point-and-click efforts along the lines of Machinarium and Samorost, but with their own unique twists. The fourth is neither a horror nor adventure game, but something “completely different, and something new for us”, according to Kunce.

While some of PCGN staffers’ kids have been enjoying Chuchel, we’re probably going to steer clear of showing them the horror game...

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Muriel Tramis, of Coktel Vision (Gobliiins, Woodruff, Fascination) is crowdfunding a remake of her 1st game, Mewilo:
https://www.ulule.com/mewilo/
(is this French Kickstarter?)

30 years after the original, "MEWILO, The secret of the jar of gold" is the remake of the first point & click adventure video game from the French studio COKTEL VISION.

Its author, Muriel TRAMIS, pioneering designer of video games, received, in 1987, the Silver Medal of the City of Paris for this original creation mixing history with digital.

It is therefore a symbol of the French Touch of the 80s, magnified by the technologies of today that Muriel TRAMIS and his new team, Sensastic Prod, offer to (re) discover.

This fantastic survey takes place in the year 1900, in the tumultuous past of an island in the Caribbean, Martinique.

3ef51a54fd162a9deb68622bbf0b1d6f.png

Originally from Martinique, Muriel TRAMIS is a pioneer in the design of video games and educational software.

After a training in engineering school (ISEP, Higher Institute of Electronics of Paris), she began her career at Aerospatiale where she develops programs for automatic control of drones.

Turning to more artistic activities, between 1987 and 1998 she created a dozen point & click adventure games in the French studio COKTEL VISION. She is also collaborating on the design of the ADI / ADIBOU range, which has attracted millions of schoolchildren and college students around the world. She then specializes in the reproduction of cities in 3D for urban planning projects.

It is a return to the field of play she undertakes by launching the "remake" of MEWILO, the first video game evoking the history of the West Indies.

There's a new interview with her here: https://advgamer.blogspot.com/2018/03/interview-with-muriel-tramis.html

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Afterparty, Oxenfree developer's new adventure game set in Hell:

ss_ed0e663cb0d7963bb5ad1e64f7454cd03ab69e28.600x338.jpg

ss_aa684340d0afe075216608d4f495aed37cc4ca3d.600x338.jpg

In Afterparty, you play Milo and Lola, recently deceased best buds who suddenly find themselves staring down an eternity in Hell. But there’s a loophole: outdrink Satan and he’ll grant you re-entry to Earth.

Milo and Lola are now dead, thirsty, and roaming the streets of Nowhere, the outermost island of Hell.

What adventures will you stumble through in the underworld? Every step is up to you. Time to go on the best bender ever, uncover the mystery of why you've been damned, and drink the big guy under the table.

Features:
  • Party as two best friends: Control Milo and Lola with an intelligent conversation system that changes the story and your relationships based on every decision. Uncover their personality quirks and foggy history during the wild events of the night

• Drink for your lives: Hell bars offer a variety of libations, each with different Liquid Courage effects to imbue Milo and Lola with specialized dialogue options and abilities

• Demonic activities: The underworld’s pubs are packed with drunken games to pass the time. Beer pong, dance-offs, karaoke and chugging competitions all mesh with the dynamic dialogue system for a seamless narrative bender

• Change Hell forever: Players’ actions won’t only affect Milo and Lola, but also the people and places of Hell. Finishing a quest on one island might result in the total destruction of another

• Flirt with Satan

• Explore an interconnected network of underworld islands via the River Styx

• An original soundtrack by scntfc (OXENFREE, Sword & Sworcery)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._artist_and_animator_Martin_Bucky_Cameron.php

Obituary: Monkey Island artist and animator Martin 'Bucky' Cameron

News is spreading that veteran game artist and animator Martin 'Bucky' Cameron has passed away.

Cameron was one of the original members of LucasArt's famed Monkey Island team, and was the artist and animator responsible for breathing life into iconic characters like Voodoo Lady and Meathook.

During his time at the studio he also worked on other titles including Battlehawks 1942 and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Eventually Cameron left the company to co-found Totally Games, where he would end up working on the acclaimed Star Wars space sims, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (which were incidentally co-developed with LucasArts).

Double Fine founder Tim Schafer, who worked with Cameron on the Monkey Island series, said his former colleague was "a great talent an kind fellow."

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The third and final installment of the Guttersnipe series has been released : https://bitterkarella.itch.io/guttersnipe-the-baleful-backwash
JUz9Z0.png

I enjoyed the two first ones a lot (they're available on the dev's page). They're middle size (~4-5 hours to me) humourous IFs with fun puzzles. I love their humour but it is definitely not for everyone, you're playing as an illiterate urchin with her rat who went to Oxford University and the first game starts as they're going to have a feast because they found a shoe to eat, I can imagine that most people think it's trying too hard, but if you enjoy their humour then they're really worth playing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/tim-schafer-would-love-to-remaster-more-classic-lucasarts-adventure-games/

Tim Schafer would love to remaster more classic Lucasarts adventure games
Assuming Disney and the original creators are on board.

Double Fine has helped bring some of Lucasarts' most treasured adventure games to modern audiences in recent years, by remastering Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle. At last weekend's Rezzed, Samuel caught up with head honcho Tim Schafer, who said he'd love to revisit more of his older games under the right circumstances.

"We'd love to," says Schafer of returning to his back catalogue. "And in some ways it's up to Disney, if they want to do that, obviously, and if the original creators want to be involved. That's what makes those remasters special, that the original creators came back and were able to say what to improve on, what to leave alone."

Schafer tells Samuel that despite Double Fine's string of recent remasters, his primary instinct is to make games, leave them behind, and move onto the next. He stresses the importance of cultivating new ideas, but appreciates that certain games are worth revisiting after a period of time.

"You should always be trying to pull out new ideas. But then, 20 years go by for some of these games," says Schafer. "It's been enough time that there's some value in going back and looking at [classic games]. Also, they were falling apart. They weren't available anymore, they didn't run so you'd have to pirate them if you wanted to buy some of them. We thought it was time.

"Also, the source material was ageing. A lot of it was on tape drives that are crumbling. Some of the team had passed away. While everyone's still around, let's make a definitive version of this game. We can get the team back together to comment on it, and gather that art, go to the archives and find what we can find."

The remasters that have since come out the other end are "really phenomenal", reckons Schafer. He admits that he wasn't always convinced revisiting older games was in his best interests, but that he's ultimately glad he did.

"[I was like], 'We don't own them, what's the point?' and I'm really glad we did decide to do them, even though we don't own them," says Schafer. "First of all we made money off of them, which is something I couldn't do in the past. We made money off Full Throttle, but we sold more copies of Grim Fandango this time around than the first time around, and so that was exciting to be a part of.

"And also, I got to make sure they were done right, and still be associated with the new versions of the game and not let someone else do that. That was really important to me. So I'm glad we did that. I would like to own them some day, mostly just to make sure I can preserve them.

"We lucked out, we made those remasters [with people] that were fans of the old games at Disney and at Lucasarts, and people still wanted to see those kept alive."

Look out for Samuel's chat with Tim Schafer at Rezzed in full tomorrow.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
Available: 10 May

I already got that shit somehow

Oh, I see:

Apperentely Dev made several other steam accounts and made reviews of this game which was serious breach in steam TOS and caused the game to be removed off steam store.

There was announcement of it by someone from steam but for some reason I can't find it anymore.

Only way to get this game is through humble bundle now.

Good ol' Steam

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Return of the Phantom was ok, but Black Dahlia was wayyyyyyyyyyy too hard for me.
The other ones are gold.
(Eric the Unready is now sold on gog)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom