Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nooo, my platonic love left Obsidian. :negative:

Last edited by a moderator:
Developer
Obsidian Entertainment -> Springboard Entertainment :P

(Although this isn't as blatant as Ferret Baudoin's abandonment of NWN2)

I don’t believe Ferret abandoned NWN2 (he cared about the project very much). Both he and Katrina I wouldn’t categorize in that light, that’d be unfair to both of them.

Also, while Blizzard got some of the Obsidian folks who resigned (including Obsidian’s previous hiring manager), ArenaNet has hired a lot of ex-Obsidian folks as well - the numbers in recent years might be comparable to the ones who left for Blizzard.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It would almost speak well of MMO companies to hire ex-RPG-developers if they weren't somehow just losing them in development as gears in the grind somewhere, writing some kill 8 wolves quest that no one really reads.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If he cared so much about Neverwinter Nights 2, why did he voluntarily quit at the most crucial moment? Are you implying that he was plainly fired? That would make sense, considering how mismanaged NWN2 was before Sawyer took the reins.
otoh it doesn't quite make so much sense for a guy fired for mismanagement to immediately get a job at a bigger, more successful RPG developer and to cling to that job long enough until he can jump ship to an even more successful RPG developer once the writing's on the wall at his present employer. That does come across as the career path of a good social engineer though (hence the praise..?). :P

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
In other news, Sawyer will do a talk at Reboot Develop 2018 conference (April 19-21, 2018): http://www.rebootdevelop.hr/speakers/

Josh is a video game director and game designer best known for his amazing work on more then few legendary RPGs from Black Isle glory days, including being designer and director on Icewind Dale II, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, as well as the cancelled Van Buren and Baldur’s Gate III: The Black Hound. He is currently working as game director at Obisdian Entertainment and he was the Project Director and Lead Designer on Pillars of Eternity, homage to the legendary Baldur’s Gate. He is right now acting as the Game Director of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire which is to release in early 2017.

Schedule: http://www.rebootdevelop.hr/RebootDevelop2018_Schedule_prefinal.pdf

His talk is
mystery.png
:

Thursday, 19 of April - 16:00-17:00
Take Care (Industry)

Josh Sawyer, Obsidian Entertainment

Will he announce retirement?

("Industry" is the talk's category, not part of the title.)

Also panel:

Friday, 20th of April - 17:30-18:30
PANEL: Evolving the Genre

Panelists: Jullian Gollop, Patrice Desilets, Charles Cecil, Josh Sawyer, Moderator: Dan Pearson

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom