Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Prime Junta

If you can set up a killing spree, you don't need Dex.

That's a cool idea. How well does it work in practice?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There are pretty steep consequences for dumping RES or CON to 3 in PoE1, if anyone as much as sneezes near you you get stunlocked.

Well sorta... in the beginning. Later on you can have your Priest cast Holy Meditation and be quite fine Concentration-wise. Better yet, wear the Celebrant's Gloves and have Meditation auto-cast on you in every encounter.

While I didn't dump Con (would be a shame with a Barb's multiplier), I did play an in-your-face Barbarian with 3 RES. Swung a slow two-hander to make it extra easy for enemies to interrupt.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
What a loss - a whole 1 Accuracy per point, while you get 3 Accuracy per level.
That's a rather ignorant way of looking at this. Enemies get 3 points in every defense per level.

I don't remember how the attack rolls worked exactly in PoE1, but why is everyone getting +3 every level? What is the difference between that and nobody gaining anything on level-up?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
What a loss - a whole 1 Accuracy per point, while you get 3 Accuracy per level.

Found the story mode player.

Accuracy is the most important stat on PoTD.
Up to a certain point, if you bring a Priest you can mitigate the need for max Perception. Crowns of the Faithful grants 6 perception, and minor Avatar grants 8 perception. Once you obtain those spells and some items/potions, I would argue Dex and Might become more significant.

So Endurance/Health system is out; but character keeps on regenerating endurance even while in combat?

LOL Josh lol.

With this popamole mechanics (also includes no Vancian spellcasting and no per rest abilities); combat will be even more banal than PoE1.

Remember how Josh and his goons justified how hard counters were bad before PoE1 was released and how the cocksuckers here justified it?
yeah, hard counters were back in the later patches.

I wonder how long it takes Josh to rework the currently proposed HP system in P:E2

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you can set up a killing spree, you don't need Dex.

That's a cool idea. How well does it work in practice?

Predictably it worked better on some enemy compositions then on some others. Also depends how much is you Barbarian able to kill-steal vs the rest of the party kill-stealing. Obviously worked better on weak vs strong enemies. Preferably ones that didn't stun-lock you.

In the end I respecced to 10 Dex, which I've found quite enough with item bonuses and Frenzy + Blood Thirst. Felt better to me. But a 3 Dex two-handed Barb is doable. Admittedly will often feel a bit sluggish.

Overall it's a very cool Talent. There are some interesting builds centered around it - and spam scroll use, for example (it also triggers from item kills).

Tygrende

Arbiter
I don't remember how the attack rolls worked exactly in PoE1, but why is everyone getting +3 every level? What is the difference between that and nobody gaining anything on level-up?
You are at an advantage if your level is higher than the enemy's, or at a disadvantage if it's the other way around.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Pallegina's stats were deliberate (and are not optimised for a Paladin). She has decent per and res being a birdlike paladin, rest is so-so. I remember also he said that they avoided exceptional stats unless character is exceptional in that regard, such as Durance having exceptional resolve.

Eder has a RES of 12 compared to Pallegina at 15, despite the fact that he spends a good chunk of the game trying to decide if he fought for the right side during the last war and being generally conflicted about his brother's death.

Even more egregious, Sagani has a RES of 10. She leaves her husband and children behind for years to follow someone that she's not even sure is still around.

But mechanically, those choices are pretty sound for how most people would choose to build those characters.

Ulfhednar

Savant
I think Obs acknowledged that companions aren't as combat effective as henchmen - probably not an oversight.

Actually, I suspect this was probably was an oversight. The stated original intention for the henchmen was to get you through obstacles that your standard companions weren't equipped for, such as making a rogue to get past high level traps, etc.

In PoE I never could get myself to taking companions.

Yeah, I tend to end up with a party of silent wanderers myself.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I think Obs acknowledged that companions aren't as combat effective as henchmen - probably not an oversight.

Actually, I suspect this was probably was an oversight. The stated original intention for the henchmen was to get you through obstacles that your standard companions weren't equipped for, such as making a rogue to get past high level traps, etc.

That sounds like a very, very early idea though. I mean, the idea in general to make some things easier to navigate if you have a certain companion isn't bad.

Ulfhednar

Savant
That sounds like a very, very early idea though. I mean, the idea in general to make some things easier to navigate if you have a certain companion isn't bad.
It was very early... it was their $2.6 million kickstarter stretch goal. Josh said in their documentary film about the making of PoE that he was basically making up the stretch goals on the fly, and that they didn't have time to consider all the consequences of those early design decisions.

At $2.6M, we will add an Adventurer's Hall to the world. In the Free Palatinate of Dyrwood, adventurers and mercenaries from across the world are often employed as personal bodyguards, elite security, or salvage (plunder) teams that venture into the forgotten corners of Eír Glanfath. A lot of the folks who hang out as such places are robbers and miscreants, but reliable agents can be found and employed with a bit of patience.

What does this mean for you? It means that if you don't like a companion, or if you don't like any of our companions, you won't be cut off from having characters of their classes. Over time, you can build your own custom parties to play through the game. If you want a party of monks or all casters, this gives you the ability to do it within the game while still maintaining the pacing of the standard PC + companions play style.

And now that that's out of the way, let's talk about...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Return Health, remove Empower and Pen, make so you can memorize different spells when resting, rein in the combat in general, make casters hit harder with casted spells and extensively tweak debuffs. Voila, combat fixed while staying close to their overall direction.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The problem is the binary nature of it, but we've been over this too many times. They just have to make DR lucrative for high levels as well.

Naesaki

Novice
I'm sure the modders will be hard at work and out in full force anyway come release to erase the 'Sawyerisms' and achieve 'true balance' :P

Parabalus

Arcane
Armour & penetration can work if they can balance it but that doesn't seem easy.
Speaking of which, was it ever explained why they decided to implement the whole penetration thing? What's wrong with DR?

Only DR penalizes fast attacks and becomes hard to balance late game.

This is kinda like how Underrail has DR/DT, but JES decided that the only way to balance that is to be able to pierce enemy % DR. Also does something to differentiate weapons/abilities I guess, but looks like he ended up with a convoluted mess.

Sentinel

Arcane
then in a point-buy system you'll always minmax
and what exactly is the problem with this?

You'll never make stats relevant to all classes. Min-maxing is still prevalent in PoE despite being designed against min-maxers.

If you hate min-maxers so much that you're willing to shit out a garbage stat system then just remove stats, items, rolls, and turn it into a visual novel where you pick dialogue choices.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
If bombarding you with bird shit is Hylea's revenge, then wow, she's one petty and childish bitch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom